ADVERTISEMENT

Analysis: Could Sarah Palin have cost the GOP a House seat?

I'll admit I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, I'd never heard of this ranked choice voting until now. Do other states do this or used to?

I'll admit I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, I'd never heard of this ranked choice voting until now. Do other states do this or used to?
In the Alaska vote, voters would ideally rank the three candidates from 1st to 3rd. No candidate took a majority of first place votes - Begich took the fewest first place votes.

All ballots with Begich as a first choice had their second choice elevated to first place and were recounted. So if you picked Begich as your first choice and Palin for second, you effectively voted for Palin when Begich was eliminated. If you chose Peltola second, that became your new vote. If you chose no one beyond first place, your ballot was eliminated.

The biggest problem with RCV is voters who don't choose past first place.

You can see where it's used here.

Will see pal

D141-A8-A4-26-FD-4391-8955-A2-A2859678-DA.jpg

There is another election coming up for a full term in this seat in November and pretty much all the same candidates are running.

Wish we had nationwide ranked choice voting but the Republicans won't accept it because they lost. Everything is a conspiracy against them.

Yes, Maine at a minimum. It's a simple process - you specify your primary vote and secondary/tertiary votes if you wish.

It has a ton of merit. It takes away the extreme/divisive candidates, and gives you a chance to have a stronger voice in the final candidate chosen.

Reactions: cigaretteman
Begich might have won straight up...probably would have. I'm not sure Palin could beat Peltola head-to-head. So Trump/Palin and the cult cost the GOP the seat for now. I'm good with that.
The weird thing is Begich's family are powerful Democrats in the State.

Surprised he didn't earn the title of RINO?

That's a fallback excuse from the Radical Right.

Alaska’s new ranked-choice election system might have saved Sen. Lisa Murkowski’s (R-Alaska) political career. And there’s a reasonable chance it might also short-circuit Sarah Palin’s attempt to resurrect hers.
The Post’s Aaron Blake writes that the current special election results suggest that we could see a surprising upset for Democrats ahead of what was supposed to be a good 2022 midterm for Republicans — an upset that could plausibly be blamed on Palin. Per Aaron:

You can read the full analysis here.
Damn i hope so.

Reactions: billanole

Can a retired superstar athlete, also a transitioning man, come back to his/her little hometown and find true love...........all while helping to raise her pregnant daughter and her pregnant daughter's other children?

Brought to you by Colonial Penn Insurance, Sarah and Bristol Palin star in a Hallmark Original: "My Wasilla Memories: Caitlyn's Story"

caitlyn-jenner-responds-to-kylie-jenners-pregnancy.jpg

abc_sarah_bristol_palin_ll_121008_wmain.jpg

How is she gonna keep herself in the news now that she's flamed out again?

Might be a battle between Lake and Palin to get a job at Fox, although Palin really doesn't seem very smart. She really struggles to think quickly when given an unrehearsed question.

Reactions: cigaretteman
Will Rd two of counting need to start from the beginning or have they been calculating that simultaneously?

ADVERTISEMENT