ADVERTISEMENT

Analysis: Is Iowa good enough Defensively to win a National Championship? On March14, Per KenPom: Offensive efficiency: #2; Defensive efficiency: #50

A couple reminders:

* On average, teams that win the national title rank in the top ten of adjusted offensive efficiency and the top 15 of adjusted defensive efficiency entering the tournament.

* Last year was the first time since the 2016 fade that the Hawkeyes had finished in the top 100 of adjusted defensive efficiency.

In the 9 games since being shredded at home by Ohio State, Iowa is allowing just

* 0.98 pts/possession
* 42.7% opponent scoring rate
* 66 ppg

“The whole team just understood that there’s one thing holding us back. And that’s our ability to get stops.”

In the 9 games since being shredded at home by Ohio State, Iowa is allowing just

* 0.98 pts/possession
* 42.7% opponent scoring rate
* 66 ppg

“The whole team just understood that there’s one thing holding us back. And that’s our ability to get stops.”

And after that shredding at home vs OSU?

Pretty impressive improvement.

Something we haven't seen in 38 years.

Reactions: Hawksfor3
Just said on the Wisconsin/PSU postgame on BTN that Iowa is LEADING the Big Ten in defensive efficiency since February 10th. I’ve never been more confident that, yes, Iowa is good enough defensively to win a championship if we can avoid foul trouble, stay out of zone, and of course, make shots

Just said on the Wisconsin/PSU postgame on BTN that Iowa is LEADING the Big Ten in defensive efficiency since February 10th. I’ve never been more confident that, yes, Iowa is good enough defensively to win a championship if we can avoid foul trouble, stay out of zone, and of course, make shots
its too bad the man to man light did not go off sooner for Fran

I just hope we are healthy going into the Big Dance. Losing Jack & his rebounding was huge (plus he gave Luka a breather).

CJ's and Joe's health will be the major story, of course. Can't have enough healthy shooters and get it to the hot man. And Joe was THAT hot man...until he went down w/ injury.

Reactions: unoHawkeye
its too bad the man to man light did not go off sooner for Fran

I just hope we are healthy going into the Big Dance. Losing Jack & his rebounding was huge (plus he gave Luka a breather).

CJ's and Joe's health will be the major story, of course. Can't have enough healthy shooters and get it to the hot man. And Joe was THAT hot man...until he went down w/ injury.
Better late than never. Good to be playing our best hoops going into March

Reactions: Franisdaman
A reminder:

* On average, teams that win the national title rank in the top ten of adjusted offensive efficiency and the top 15 of adjusted defensive efficiency entering the tournament.

* Last year was the first time since the 2016 fade that the Hawkeyes had finished in the top 100 of adjusted defensive efficiency.

Per KenPom on March 13:

Offensive efficiency: #2
Defensive efficiency: #51

Since Feb 7, Iowa is playing championship level O and D. It’s crazy to say but it’s absolutely true.

#6 OE
#9 DE

Fran gets credit for seeing the light, the players get credit for digging in and executing. We are looking at a completely different team now than when the season started.

Since Feb 7, Iowa is playing championship level O and D. It’s crazy to say but it’s absolutely true.

#6 OE
#9 DE

Fran gets credit for seeing the light, the players get credit for digging in and executing. We are looking at a completely different team now than when the season started.
they proved last night that when shots are not falling they can keep their heads up & get stops on the other end

On March 14, Per KenPom:

Offensive efficiency: #2
Defensive efficiency: #50

Overall Rank: #5
(after Gonzaga, Michigan, Illinois, Baylor)

LINK: https://kenpom.com/

I was wondering what our defensive status was since the Michigan game. It's good to know we are capable of being an elite defensive squad. I think the Illinois game was a learning experience besides. I fully expect a run to the elite 8 and maybe further. Skies the limit for this squad but still think a zone defense can be very effective against teams that are killing us on penetration and trouble guarding the pick and roll.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT