ADVERTISEMENT

And I’m suppose to agree with the looting...

No, not something to agree with or understand at all, it is a criminal act that does nothing but take away from what the peaceful protests are trying to gain...those people looting are thugs and criminals period and need to be dealt with as such!
this will be the last time I post in this thread, as talking to someone like you is paramount to talking to a wall, but peaceful protests have been attempted and met with criticism and lack of any type of improvement. I don't agree with it, but I fully understand why we are here.

this will be the last time I post in this thread, as talking to someone like you is paramount to talking to a wall, but peaceful protests have been attempted and met with criticism and lack of any type of improvement. I don't agree with it, but I fully understand why we are here.

Then I assume you will also "understand it" when these types of conflicts continue to escalate and real people get hurt or killed as one group protects their property from being stolen under the false premise of supporting a cause? True?

Now if you really "understood"...you would post your own address so those that are of a mind to do so could come over to your house and "protest". When you allow, tolerate and/or condone lawlessness...you are going to get more lawlessness and you won't always be able to feel safe that it isn't in your neighborhood.

Meh. It's a matter of persistence. Not escalation.

Certain "groups" failed to realize that............

Now deal with it, and I thank all of you for not disagreeing with me on that, because that's the whole discussion, and the end of it, right there.

:)

Then I assume you will also "understand it" when these types of conflicts continue to escalate and real people get hurt or killed as one group protects their property from being stolen under the false premise of supporting a cause? True?

Now if you really "understood"...you would post your own address so those that are of a mind to do so could come over to your house and "protest". When you allow, tolerate and/or condone lawlessness...you are going to get more lawlessness and you won't always be able to feel safe that it isn't in your neighborhood.
Solid straw-man argument there. I'm pretty sure lawlessness is exactly what is being protested at this point.

And I'm sure you would feel the same way if they decided to vandalize and loot your property. You would just stand there and watch it happen, because you "understand". This "understanding" of criminal behavior is ridiculous. There are protesters, and criminals. I 100% support the protesters. I want to see the vandals and looters arrested. Either that, or go to their homes and loot and vandalize their property. I'm sure they'd love that. Find the kids that "tagged" Kinnick, and go "tag" their cars, assuming they own one. It's all good until it's yours.

Solid straw-man argument there. I'm pretty sure lawlessness is exactly what is being protested at this point.

Not a strawman argument, just trying to get you to understand things from the point of the person that is having their property or business destroyed by protesters. One video I watched had the frantic owners inside their own business while looters were breaking through the windows and they were screaming, "Stop, we agree with you..." or words very close to that.

Didn't stop the looters, er, protesters. Looters are not protesting lawlessness, they are lawless.

If you don't let people peacefully protest. They will violently protest.

You one of the loud outspoken ones against taking a knee?

I also do not condone looting/rioting and believe the criminals should be charged for their crimes. Just pointing out the people fighting against the knee are part of the problem as well.
You younger people who were not brought up saying the pledge of allegiance every day and having an honor guard whose job it was to put up the Flag every day and to take it down. Everyone was schooled how to fold the flag and how to dispose of a flag when it was worn out or damaged. So you do not get the imagery and reverence that people in their 50 and up feel towards the flag. So yeah, it pisses us off. Akin to how blacks feel when they see a confederate statue, but worse. It will never be the same. The flag represents home and the values that veterans fight for when out of country. If BLM prevails it is a major blow to the collective psyche of who and what the USA is to many people. **** them.

You younger people who were not brought up saying the pledge of allegiance every day and having an honor guard whose job it was to put up the Flag every day and to take it down. Everyone was schooled how to fold the flag and how to dispose of a flag when it was worn out or damaged. So you do not get the imagery and reverence that people in their 50 and up feel towards the flag. So yeah, it pisses us off. Akin to how blacks feel when they see a confederate statue, but worse. It will never be the same. The flag represents home and the values that veterans fight for when out of country. If BLM prevails it is a major blow to the collective psyche of who and what the USA is to many people. **** them.
There was a time when those revered the flag likely made other human beings that the OWNED raise and lower it for them.

Sorry, but you clearly have no idea what you are talking about........Do you think the protests in 1968 were peaceful? Do you think the protests in LA in 1992 were peaceful? Nope on both accounts. IMHO, what happened over the last couple of weeks probably set race relations back 20 plus years.........

That right there is the problem. You want it your way and tough sh*t to those who do not agree with you. That is the problem. Black people want to be treated better and do not agree with what the white American dream is, because they are not allowed to be in that dream scenario.

You do not want them to take a knee? Then listen to them more, change your stance and perspective instead of saying it is my way or the highway.

Also, why is it ok for drunk white middle aged guys to talk during the anthem and no one gives a crap. Or for people to just walk to their seats while it is going on? Why do you need to take a hat off in school and church? I have been on board with this in the past, but what is the reason behind all of this? Especially with the way the fashion is nowadays.

You one of the loud outspoken ones against taking a knee?

I also do not condone looting/rioting and believe the criminals should be charged for their crimes. Just pointing out the people fighting against the knee are part of the problem as well.
Who is against peaceful protests? It's a fundamental right. Protesting at a community park is hardly being criticized. The protests that are using the anthem or the flag as a lightning rod are, not because of the action, but for what is being 'used". You can choose to disagree, but don't be upset when people choose one over the other when both are emotional. It's why I feel this movement will get far more positive action when absolutes like the "the police" or "white people" are changed to "a bad police officer" or "some white people".

I mean, when I watch a game at home I do not stand for the pledge and the people I watch with do not do it either........I fail to see the significance of it honestly.

Also, why is it ok for drunk white middle aged guys to talk during the anthem and no one gives a crap. Or for people to just walk to their seats while it is going on? Why do you need to take a hat off in school and church? I have been on board with this in the past, but what is the reason behind all of this? Especially with the way the fashion is nowadays.
Nobody gives a crap? I think you're wrong here but most people don't go around looking to pick a fight at every turn.

Reactions: TC_Hawk
Nobody gives a crap? I think you're wrong here but most people don't go around looking to pick a fight at every turn.

So when someone kneels it is ok to fight it, but when the white guy that talks and walks to his seat it is just, man that guy is dumb and everyone moves on. What is the difference here?

Not something you have to agree with at all, but you should at this point understand it.
Why should we understand it? These people are destroying communities that in many cases have a large African-American population. It will take years if not decades for them to recover if they do at all. The idea that America is so horribly racist that rioting is the only vessel for change is a completely flawed notion devoid of any evidence.

Now I will say that much of the rioting and looting is being done by groups with different agendas that are using this as opportunity. That's a completely different discussion though

So when someone kneels it is ok to fight it, but when the white guy that talks and walks to his seat it is just, man that guy is dumb and everyone moves on. What is the difference here?
I don't look to pick a fight with the people kneeling either, so what's your point? I can agree or disagree, or is that not allowed either?

I don't look to pick a fight with the people kneeling either, so what's your point? I can agree or disagree, or is that not allowed either?

Yeah it is allowed, but I think the double standards need to stop. If everyone is expected to stand up and shut up, then everyone should do it, and if some do not, dont be outspoken for one of them and ignore the other. That is part of the problem right now. Allowing one thing, but demeaning the other.

Reactions: McLovin32

It is not ok. I have told many people that were talking or moving about during the anthem at Iowa games to STFU and wait in place til it is done to show respect for the flag and anthem.

It is not ok. I have told many people that were talking or moving about during the anthem at Iowa games to STFU and wait in place til it is done to show respect for the flag and anthem.

Then why have you not started a thread about it and complained about it at every turn on here or social media in general?

Sorry, but you clearly have no idea what you are talking about........Do you think the protests in 1968 were peaceful? Do you think the protests in LA in 1992 were peaceful? Nope on both accounts. IMHO, what happened over the last couple of weeks probably set race relations back 20 plus years.........
Yep and ironically it's probably hurt people in the black community the most

Reactions: dbleagle1
Yeah it is allowed, but I think the double standards need to stop. If everyone is expected to stand up and shut up, then everyone should do it, and if some do not, dont be outspoken for one of them and ignore the other. That is part of the problem right now. Allowing one thing, but demeaning the other.
When you say "Nobody" that means 0 out of 100. That is simply not true and then to say there is a "double standard" is what is wrong with your comments. And if someone is talking during the anthem, yes, I have a problem with it and I don't give two F's what color of skin they have. Am I going to pick a fight - no. Exact same feeling I have when people kneel during the anthem. Kneel during a peaceful protest at the park - be my guest!

Then why have you not started a thread about it and complained about it at every turn on here or social media in general?

Uhmmm. I've been back on these boards for the first time in a decade or more, since about Sunday or Monday. Unlike you, I don't feel the need to post about everything on social media or to air my thoughts and feelings to the whole world all the time. I don't post every meal I eat, where I am at, who I am with, pics of my kids or anything else because honestly no one cares. No one cares when you, your friends or anyone else does it. It is stupid and narcissistic. But I do post my opinion, particularly when I see stupid $hit being said, or I feel I have a take from a personal experience. You said it doesn't happen when people are doing those things. I came right out and said that it does, because I have done it. End of story, end of discussion.

It's funny how many protests start out as 'peaceful' protests.

When looting and pillaging becomes part of that peaceful protest, then allowing those protests to go unabated is a non-starter. Don't care what the reason for the protest is.

Sure, you can sit there and blame it on a small criminal element or anarchist movement that hid within the crowd and a police response shouldn't be turned on the protesters, but that's easier said than done. When there is chaos in the streets ...(buildings/vehicles burning, stores being looted, bricks/rocks thrown at police)... then the protests will no longer be allowed to go on without restrictions.

Happened so many times like 92' LA riots, NYC black out of 77' or even Ferguson when lot of minority owned businesses are vandalized and others in neighborhoods were lot of minorities reside. Then what happens these stores never re open in the same spot making a bad situation worse. There is no excuse for destroying anyone's lively hood and business who had NOTHING to do with what they are angry over.

Also I'm all for these groups protesting to say whatever they want. However I found it ironic that they are protesting over the negative stereotype that black men are unfairly labeled with (which I agree with) yet at the same time they are profiling all police with a lot of their negative chants as happened locally here in IC. Irony at its finest.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT