ADVERTISEMENT

And the RBG Award goes to … Elon Musk and Rupert Murdoch?

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
What a disgrace:

Since 2020, a foundation has honored prominent women with the Ruth Bader Ginsburg Leadership Award, named after the late Supreme Court justice who championed women’s rights and liberal causes. But this year’s lineup stands out: Four of the recipients are men. Two of them have done prison time for financial crimes. One founded Fox News. Another is Elon Musk.

Musk, Martha Stewart, Michael Milken, Rupert Murdoch and Sylvester Stallone are the “five iconic individuals” who will receive the Ginsburg Leadership Award next month at the Library of Congress in an exclusive ceremony and gala, according to a news release from the award’s organizer, the Dwight D. Opperman Foundation.
Musk will receive the award for entrepreneurship, Stallone for being a cultural icon, Stewart for industry leadership, Milken for philanthropy and Murdoch for being a media mogul, the news release said.

ADVERTISING

Skip to end of carousel

The Style section​

Style is where The Washington Post covers happenings on the front lines of culture and what it all means, including the arts, media, social trends, politics and yes, fashion, all told with personality and deep reporting. For more Style stories, click here.

End of carousel
Stewart was on Ginsburg’s “original wish list of potential honorees,” the news release said. But the foundation, which did not say how the honorees were picked, decided on a dramatic change this year.
“Justice Ginsburg fought not only for women but for everyone,” said Julie Opperman, chair of the Dwight D. Opperman Foundation and widow of the foundation’s namesake, in the news release. “Going forward, to embrace the fullness of Justice Ginsburg’s legacy, we honor both women and men who have changed the world by doing what they do best.”
Irin Carmon, co-author of the book “Notorious RBG: The Life and Times of Ruth Bader Ginsburg,” said Ginsberg did champion gender equality but said Opperman’s characterization is at odds with Ginsburg’s views on the topic.

“I think it’s worth clarifying that the cases [Ginsburg] brought on behalf of male plaintiffs in the 1970s with the ACLU Women’s Rights Project were about challenging gender roles and stereotypes,” Carmon said. “They were men who were engaged in caregiving, or being supported by breadwinning spouses. They were not men who were fulminating about how birth control makes you fat,” she said, referring to comments made recently by Musk.

“When she said that she wanted men and women to be partners in gender equality, I do not think this is quite what she had in mind,” Carmon said.

In announcing this year’s awards, the Opperman Foundation praised Musk for being a free-speech advocate. The Tesla and SpaceX CEO, who bought Twitter (now X) in 2022, certainly grapples with free-speech issues. But this week he was lambasted by Don Lemon for canceling a deal on X with the former CNN star a few hours after being interviewed by him.

“His commitment to a global town square where all questions can be asked and all ideas can be shared seems not to include questions of him from people like me,” Lemon wrote in a statement.
Ginsburg was the first Jewish woman to serve on the Supreme Court when she joined in 1993. The X owner has been accused of contributing to the rapid increase in antisemitism on his social media platform by amplifying anti-Jewish tropes. Some major brands have fled the platform after seeing their advertisements placed next to antisemitic content.

Murdoch, whom the Opperman Foundation’s statement called “the most iconic living legend in media,” was a trailblazer in conservative media.

Federal Election Commission records show that Julie Opperman has donated more than $200,000 to Republican politicians and organizations since 2014.
Milken has been a major philanthropist for cancer research and public health — after he served prison time in the 1990s on six felony counts, including securities and mail fraud. He was pardoned by President Donald Trump in 2020. Stewart, the beloved lifestyle personality, served five months in federal prison after being convicted in 2004 of obstruction of justice, conspiracy and lying to federal investigators.
Stallone will appear in the upcoming action thriller “Armored.”
The honor was originally called the Ruth Bader Ginsburg Woman of Leadership Award when it was first awarded in 2020. Its first recipient, philanthropist and arts patron Agnes Gund, was presented with the award by the justice herself, and subsequent awardees were Barbra Streisand, Queen Elizabeth II and Diane von Furstenberg.

Ginsburg was longtime friends with Dwight Opperman, who served as president of West Publishing Co., which created the online research service Westlaw. He died in 2013.
Matthew Umhofer, the Opperman Foundation’s president, told The Washington Post that “the RBG Award celebrates the achievements of individuals in their chosen fields without regard to politics.”

• Haha
Reactions: Sharky1203
The family of the late Ruth Bader Ginsburg and some of the Supreme Court justice’s former colleagues have denounced this year’s slate of honorees for an award that a philanthropic foundation bestows in the name of the liberal icon.

In a statement Friday, the family called the Dwight D. Opperman Foundation’s plans to give its “Ruth Bader Ginsburg Leadership Award” to conservative billionaires Elon Musk and Rupert Murdoch, among others, “an affront to the memory of our mother and grandmother.”

Without specifically criticizing any of the honorees — who also include Martha Stewart, Sylvester Stallone and financier Michael Milken — the Ginsburg family said the foundation “has strayed far from the original mission of the award and from what Justice Ginsburg stood for.”

“Her legacy is one of deep commitment to justice and to the proposition that all persons deserve what she called ‘equal citizenship stature’ under the Constitution,” the statement said. “She was a singularly powerful voice for the equality and empowerment of women, including their ability to control their own bodies.”

Skip to end of carousel

The Style section​

Style is where The Washington Post covers happenings on the front lines of culture and what it all means, including the arts, media, social trends, politics and yes, fashion, all told with personality and deep reporting. For more Style stories, click here.

End of carousel
The decision also drew a protest from a former Ginsburg clerk. Trevor Morrison, a former dean of New York University School of Law, wrote to foundation chair Julie Opperman Thursday that he found it “deeply worrisome” that the award would go to people whom he said “exhibit none of the values that animated the Justice’s career, and none of the things that she herself emphasized when celebrating the inauguration of the RBG Award.”

Ginsburg, a friend of the late Dwight Opperman, a lawyer and legal publisher, was still alive and gave her approval when his family’s foundation decided in 2019 to create an award in her name for powerful women.

The Ginsburgs said they had no involvement in selecting winners and weren’t given prior notice about the award changes, and added that Friday — what would’ve been the justice’s 91st birthday — would be the perfect day for the foundation to course correct.

The Opperman Foundation said Friday it has no response to the calls to amend the award.
The honor was first awarded in 2020, before the justice’s death, with the intent to recognize “an extraordinary woman who has exercised a positive and notable influence on society and served as an exemplary role model in both principles and practice.”
Amanda Tyler, a professor at the University of California at Berkeley School of Law who co-wrote “Justice, Justice Thou Shalt Pursue: A Life’s Work Fighting for a More Perfect Union” with Ginsburg, said that any award with Ginsburg’s name should honor her legacy.

“Justice Ginsburg spent her life fighting to combat discrimination in all its many forms, to empower women to have control over their own destinies, and to open up opportunities for persons from all walks of life,” Tyler wrote. “She laid out her vision for a better world in a 2009 speech in which she said, ‘We will all profit from a more diverse, inclusive society, understanding, accommodating, even celebrating our differences, while pulling together for the common good.’”

She was great friends with Antonin Scalia. My guess is Musk and Murdoch are getting it based on the billions they've given to charities and not based on the fact they hurt the feelings of angry liberals.

Only a measly quarter billion to charities as of 2021. What a putz.

“Over just the first four months of 2021, Musk has committed almost $150 million directly to charities, according to Recode reporting and public announcements. That more than doubles Recode’s best estimate of all his charitable giving before 2021, which amounted to about $100 million based on available information.”

Only a measly quarter billion to charities as of 2021. What a putz.

“Over just the first four months of 2021, Musk has committed almost $150 million directly to charities, according to Recode reporting and public announcements. That more than doubles Recode’s best estimate of all his charitable giving before 2021, which amounted to about $100 million based on available information.”
If he quadruples that he might catch up to MacKenzie Scott

These people are gross. Clearly, this was done as an over the top effort to be in your face aholes to a dead woman’s family and “own the libs”. Just pathetic and childlike stuff. Hope the chair is proud of the blowback and embarrassment and her now cancelled event, as well as damage to her family’s name.

Reactions: BioHawk
These people are gross. Clearly, this was done as an over the top effort to be in your face aholes to a dead woman’s family and “own the libs”. Just pathetic and childlike stuff. Hope the chair is proud of the blowback and embarrassment and her now cancelled event, as well as damage to her family’s name.
The dude put a chip in a quadriplegic that allowed them to control a computer and you think it's about owning the libs..... Jesus dude.

She never earned any of it so easier for her to give it away. Besides, she has no all time historical ambition of getting humans to Mars to finance either.
Wouldn't it be easier to give away if you did earn it? Because you know you can earn more.
If she didn't 'earn it' why would she give it away with no way to replace it.
As usual, you're bass ackwards.

Wouldn't it be easier to give away if you did earn it? Because you know you can earn more.
No.

If I give you a pen for free, and I make you pay for a pen, exact same pen, and someone ask to borrow a pen, you will give them the free one every time.

Tell me your finances are horrible without telling me your finances are horrible. Lol. No wonder you’re always so angry.

Even though they are the same.pen because you have "worked" harder for thr one you paid for, you will give them the "free" one, it has a higher inherent value.
Oh, so you weren't asking me a question - you were telling me what I'd do. Great, thanks. Back on ignore.

I don't know. I do know that KP is as bad a criminal enterprise as there is in the industry

I believe it is so doctors can recommend transitioning without their parents knowing. Trans fanatics doing all sorts of crazy ass shit to kids and keeping it from parents. This medical secrecy is just a pretense to further these unnecessary surgeries and associated medical bills. They really are coming after your kids. Elon is right.

If you don’t approve of your child’s doctor recommended transition surgery, you’re a bigot! The State will take your kid away from you. That’s where this is heading.

Weak deflection.
I didn’t ask you to relay their opinion.
I asked you for yours.
Why do you think we see billionaire philanthropy toward charities instead of the government?
I have no frame of reference to make guesses on their mindset on giving. The difference between their wealth and mine is more than mine and some guy living under a bridge.
Why don't you make the assumptions, it seems to be your specialty.

I believe it is so doctors can recommend transitioning without their parents knowing. Trans fanatics doing all sorts of crazy ass shit to kids and keeping it from parents. This medical secrecy is just a pretense to further these unnecessary surgeries and associated medical bills. They really are coming after your kids. Elon is right.

If you don’t approve of your child’s doctor recommended transition surgery, you’re a bigot! The State will take your kid away from you. That’s where this is heading.
You're an idiot.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT