ADVERTISEMENT

Andrew Fleming Transferring Again

What is a Lipscomb?

zebra-tries-eat-girls-hair.gif

interesting; i still wonder if Andrew and Hutton would have worked hard if they would have seen playing time at Iowa....or were they simply recruiting misses?

We already had Ellingson, not sure what Fran was thinking to offer Fleming...we didn't need another shooting guard that is too slow to guard.
Fleming appears to be even worse than I thought, based on where he has ended up. That said, he was good teammate.

I wonder if they were encouraged to leave Iowa or did the staff try to get them to stay.

I have to think that the listed offers for Hutton (WVU and Wisconsin) and Fleming (Florida, Ohio State) were exaggerated.

Does everybody remember when many were claiming he was the next "big thing" and complaining about why Fleming wasn't playing 40 minutes a game simply because he scored a lot of points in PTL league? It reminds me of the Spring game hype in football. I hope the fact that he is ending up a school that I don't even know where it is located can confirm that our coaching staff might actually be able to evaluate players better than us fans- granted I understand they obviously missed their evaluation when they recruited them, however; that is subject to misses based on who the competition is in HS/AAU not to mention in that class we could afford taking some chances with the # of scholarships that were available

He was a recruiting miss, but that happens.

The overall recruiting done by Fran has been pretty solid.
I'm continuing to hope that he goes beyond the regional recruits, though.
I've no doubt it isn't easy to do, but making some international connections could be an avenue to developing another pipeline of players outside of Iowa and the surrounding states.

Does everybody remember when many were claiming he was the next "big thing" and complaining about why Fleming wasn't playing 40 minutes a game simply because he scored a lot of points in PTL league? It reminds me of the Spring game hype in football. I hope the fact that he is ending up a school that I don't even know where it is located can confirm that our coaching staff might actually be able to evaluate players better than us fans- granted I understand they obviously missed their evaluation when they recruited them, however; that is subject to misses based on who the competition is in HS/AAU not to mention in that class we could afford taking some chances with the # of scholarships that were available

He was an early offer that played against the best competition in the country.

Recruiting misses happen, everyone gets it. I don't remember to many people worried about his PT anyway.

Seems silly to do an i told you so post and then have to imediately turn around with a bunch of excuses.

Probably better to have left it alone.

He was an early offer that played against the best competition in the country.

Recruiting misses happen, everyone gets it. I don't remember to many people worried about his PT anyway.

Seems silly to do an i told you so post and then have to imediately turn around with a bunch of excuses.

Probably better to have left it alone.
It wasn't an I told you so by any means, I certainly didn't disagree nor disagree with either group, however; simply a "can we pump the breaks on hype and/or doubt on our prospects before playing" I mean I've heard both sides- JoBo can't be effective big ten player to AF being an immediate impact player

It wasn't an I told you so by any means, I certainly didn't disagree nor disagree with either group, however; simply a "can we pump the breaks on hype and/or doubt on our prospects before playing" I mean I've heard both sides- JoBo can't be effective big ten player to AF being an immediate impact player

Good luck with that.

Taking the time to follow and post on a message board means that someone has more than a passing interest in the program. There will always be a significant percentage of that group that rides the rollercoaster of opinion from a kid being the second coming of LeBron to not a D-1 caliber player when he doesn't live up to unrealistic expectations.

As far as performance in the PTL goes, I can't fathom why anyone puts much stock in that.

I think it's a good way to look at what someone can't do, versus what someone can do, and it has always been that way.

For instance...if JBo couldn't shoot 3s in the PTL he probably wouldn't be able to shoot them well in BT play.
But if Cook shoots 3s well in the PTL, that doesn't mean he will be able to do so in the BT.

More than anything the PTL is a good chance for the players to work on things against non-Iowa players, which is a great thing in the middle of the summer when they are tired of just battling each other every day.

But what would we do for fun? If coaches can't tell, and obviously they can't tell every single time, why should we be any different?

There is a money making businesses or two out there that is based on evaluating high school talent and telling us how good they will be. I'm not seeing the point of pumping the breaks when everybody else in the bus is having a great time.

But what would we do for fun? If coaches can't tell, and obviously they can't tell every single time, why should we be any different?

There is a money making businesses or two out there that is based on evaluating high school talent and telling us how good they will be. I'm not seeing the point of pumping the breaks when everybody else in the bus is having a great time.
I see your point. I just find the roller coaster group to much more disgruntled on a regular basis and I guess was trying to instill some good advice. To each their own I guess, but those assumptions can lead to some major toxicity in the forum....but I guess sometimes that can be fun too. Oh well, go Hawkeyes

Reactions: DanL53
AF's path to playing time was if Jok got injured / suspended / flopped. We forget how much of a leap Jok made between his Soph and Junior years. Without an effective Jok, we needed depth at the 2/3. Players develop differently - had Fleming stayed, maybe he would've been in line with Moss for taking Jok's minutes in 2017/2018.

AF's path to playing time was if Jok got injured / suspended / flopped. We forget how much of a leap Jok made between his Soph and Junior years. Without an effective Jok, we needed depth at the 2/3. Players develop differently - had Fleming stayed, maybe he would've been in line with Moss for taking Jok's minutes in 2017/2018.

He was behind Ellingson and Williams in the rotation besides being behind Jok.

Reactions: GAnfinson
I had high hopes for him coming in but it only took watching him play a couple of minutes in a real game to realize he had a long way to go and/or was not as good as advertised. He was undisciplined, could not play D and his shot was terrible.

The fact that he was a contributing player at Oak Hill really makes me question how good the level of play really is there. Yes they produce some good players but if AF was good enough to be in their rotation.... really?

Reactions: DanL53
I had high hopes for him coming in but it only took watching him play a couple of minutes in a real game to realize he had a long way to go and/or was not as good as advertised. He was undisciplined, could not play D and his shot was terrible.

The fact that he was a contributing player at Oak Hill really makes me question how good the level of play really is there. Yes they produce some good players but if AF was good enough to be in their rotation.... really?

I've had my eyes opened a bit about the Oak Hill's of the basketball world myself. However, I think that had Andrew Fleming bought into the system he could have contributed. But one moment in one game still stands out to me, as well as the interview after the game.

Fleming launched a three on a one on three fastbreak, no Hawkeye near him. He missed. Gave up the ball just as badly as if he'd just handed it to the opposing team. Fran yanked him from the game and gave him an emphatic pep talk and lesson, displaying his chameleon like ability to change from white to bright red.

After the game, a reporter asked Fleming what Fran had said, and I paraphrase pretty closely because it stuck in my head, "He mostly just asked if I had lost my mind." Then the reporter JOKINGLY asked, expecting a no, I'm sure, "Will you ever do that again?". And Fleming responded, "It would get the crowd going, I guess I would."

Yeah...and on top of that don't play defense. o_O

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT