ADVERTISEMENT

Andy Katz has Joe Wieskamp at #1

Love JW but I’d take both Harper Jr and Livers over him because both are stronger, both can beat their defender off the dribble, create and get to the rim better, and both are better defenders.

If I were making a team and choosing wings my order of priority would actually be: 1) Harper Jr.; 2) Livers; 3) Joe W. Joe is the purest shooter of the bunch for sure though.

Last edited:
Another person who watches far more basketball than most who likes Joe better than our experts, who would have known?

Reactions: bojihawk44
Joe is a good player and he is going to make pro money.
He just needs a little more maturity so he finds all the tools he has in his bag and what he has to do to fight through adversity.
I really felt he was going to pop in the tournament but that didn't get a chance to play out.

Reactions: ZumaHawk
Another person who watches far more basketball than most who likes Joe better than our experts, who would have known?

Andy Katz is a sports journalist. He watches players shoot and the ball go through the basket and goes "ooohhhhh wow!" The next time he speaks with any kind of authority on defense will be the first.

I think Joe is definitely one of the top players in the league and the coaches obviously agree. I really don't need Andy Katz to confirm anything.

Reactions: goodbyebobby
So should he base this off the last 3 weeks or the first 3 months of the season? Come on man, he was in a shooting slump but that doesn’t discredit the first 75-80% of the season.
The entire season ended up with mediocre shooting stats. The last month is figured into it. Now, if he can get and keep his mojo, he is worthy of #1.

Andy Katz is a sports journalist. He watches players shoot and the ball go through the basket and goes "ooohhhhh wow!" The next time he speaks with any kind of authority on defense will be the first.

I think Joe is definitely one of the top players in the league and the coaches obviously agree. I really don't need Andy Katz to confirm anything.

He watches more college basketball and now BIG basketball than most people. He has been covering college basketball for a long time and getting paid to do it and give his opinion. He has no axe to grind by having a Hawkeye on his list or not. But we're supposed to listen to your constant griping and ignore him? No thank you.

I would have taken Joe W finishing the season stronger than he started it any day but that’s wasn’t the case.. With as big a role as he has on this team, I’m hoping that’s one of his goal for next season. Be A Strong Finisher! be it at the end of a game, end of the season, hell even at the rim! His production at the end of games and at the end of the season most likely will be a big part of the Hawkeyes overall success and that’s obviously the expectation for even those outside of Hawkeye Nation..

Good for Joe. Nice for him and Iowa to get the pub, but the reality is that he had a disappointing season. I'm confident Joe himself would say so. He looked lost on offense for the last month or so, and although he said he was going to try some new things, nothing worked to get him going.

The talent is there, of course, but as others noted weeks ago, Joe seems to be much like Jarrod Uthoff, at least to this point. He has plenty of talent, but he struggles with the unfortunate reality that the Big Ten is a rugby league. Jarrod and Joe would have been awesome 30 or 40 years ago when basketball players didn't lift weights and the game was, for the most part, the non-contact sport it was designed to be.

But unless the Big Ten changes its style of play, to realize his potential, Joe is going to have to figure some things out. He's simply going to have to learn how to handle the physical play and develop an attitude to go with it.

Love JW but I’d take both Harper Jr and Livers over him because both are stronger, both can beat their defender off the dribble, create and get to the rim better, and both are better defenders.

If I were making a team and choosing wings my order of priority would actually be: 1) Harper Jr.; 2) Livers; 3) Joe W. Joe is the purest shooter of the bunch for sure though.

The ironic thing is Livers is pretty weak with his handle, although he is a pretty big body that can finish in traffic. Also Livers has better career shooting percentages for 3 (40% vs 38%) and FTs (85% vs 81%) so I'm not sure why you'd think Wieskamp is for sure the "purest" shooter. Livers even finished the season making his last 36 FTs in a row despite battling injuries the last few weeks.

I'd probably take a healthy Wieskamp over Livers at the end of the year, but if healthy it might be the other way. Harper? Not even close IMHO.

Reactions: owenhawk and BBHawk
Wieskamp also averages more rebs/game and assists/game than anyone else on the list. This is a no brainer, even with a late season slump he still finished with better stats than the four others on the list.

Reactions: IowaNiceHawk

In no way does Harper Jr. get to the rim better than Joe.

The ironic thing is Livers is pretty weak with his handle, although he is a pretty big body that can finish in traffic. Also Livers has better career shooting percentages for 3 (40% vs 38%) and FTs (85% vs 81%) so I'm not sure why you'd think Wieskamp is for sure the "purest" shooter. Livers even finished the season making his last 36 FTs in a row despite battling injuries the last few weeks.

I'd probably take a healthy Wieskamp over Livers at the end of the year, but if healthy it might be the other way. Harper? Not even close IMHO.

When people talk about a pure shooting stroke, most are talking about jump shots from the field but your point is well taken.

Dude - getting to the rim is far different than driving for a layup. Joe is the superior athlete and if you stop looking at it with tinted glasses you would see that.

what? Lol. Getting to the rim means getting to the rim.

Post some supporting evidence that JW does it better.

Reactions: goodbyebobby

oh my god lmao

you post a high school game and a breakaway dunk as evidence that he can get to the rim better than Harper?!

That’s good, man. You’re an entertaining cat.

I’d stick to football or maybe bowling or golf discussions from now on though if I were you.

I see this in 2 ways.
1- Yes, Joe has the greater shooting skill and yes he has the quickness and coordination to get the hoop at least as well as the other candidates.
2- However, Joe is not as physically developed. I think the NBA will tell him to hit the weights. Once he develops the strength (with his current quickness) and how to use it in attacking the rim, he’ll be unstoppable.

Good for Joe. Nice for him and Iowa to get the pub, but the reality is that he had a disappointing season. I'm confident Joe himself would say so. He looked lost on offense for the last month or so, and although he said he was going to try some new things, nothing worked to get him going.

The talent is there, of course, but as others noted weeks ago, Joe seems to be much like Jarrod Uthoff, at least to this point. He has plenty of talent, but he struggles with the unfortunate reality that the Big Ten is a rugby league. Jarrod and Joe would have been awesome 30 or 40 years ago when basketball players didn't lift weights and the game was, for the most part, the non-contact sport it was designed to be.

But unless the Big Ten changes its style of play, to realize his potential, Joe is going to have to figure some things out. He's simply going to have to learn how to handle the physical play and develop an attitude to go with it.

I like Joe as a player, especially since he is an Iowa guy, but I, too, feel he is much like Uthoff, nice collegiate player who will be able to go overseas and make some money before coming back and utilizing his college degree to make a good living. I hope I’m wrong.

what? Lol. Getting to the rim means getting to the rim.

Post some supporting evidence that JW does it better.

I know it's apples and oranges to a degree but your statement about getting to the rim bugs me for some reason. Joe T. gets the ball to the rim better than about anyone but he couldn't finish. The other posters point was about finishing.

From that end, I would agree that Joe W. was struggling in that slump. Too many rejections and missed contested shots in there.

Joe was also fouled more and held more than any of the rest. The last three weeks were criminal in how other teams gameplanned for him and were allowed to get away with it

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT