ADVERTISEMENT

Angelo Garbutt - Leaving Program

I guess Hockaday is slated to start next year at MLB?

Good luck Angelo....
Possibly, but Iowa's pretty flexible with moving their LB's around. You might see Jones, Taylor, Welch, or Wade as well as Hockaday obviously get a look. Just as well this happens now as it they have plenty of time to recruit more into the pipeline. I think Weiland from this class ends up at LB as well.

Opens up another slot. I think we were over anyway.

Talented guy, I wish him well ... but LB is a spot where the Hawks not only return 3 starters ... but Hockaday and Jones are up there at around the #4 and #5 LBs. Garbutt was probably in the neighborhood of Mends and Ward, fighting for being around the #6 LB. All that said, the Hawks also have Welch, Taylor, and N. Niemann all in the fray too ... the former already having seen more action than Garbutt last year and the latter two already have family connections who are already starters. Thus, the latter two have the advantage of having family members who can supply them with value advice (and who can help further push their developments forward).

On top of all that, Colbert is entering the program at safety and might have a chance to fill the LEO spot much like Kirksey did years ago. Wieland will be there pushing forward the competition at LEO too.

What another one of the Texas pipeline recruits leaving ? Btw that's 8 of 21 from the 2015 class already gone.

Last edited:
Reactions: map0514
What another one of the Texas pipeline recruits leaving ? Btw that's 8 of 21 from the 2015 class already gone.
And recruiting in the last two classes has probably been better then the 2015 class. This is how it works in college football. Recruit better players if you can, and if current guys get passed up on the depth chart they can hang and hope to get their shot, or look for a better chance elsewhere. I'll be concerned when guys who are solid starters, or our leading rusher decides to transfer, similar to what was happening with Licklighter in basketball. Until then nothing to see here.

Reactions: 39HISMN
I don't get to upset when recruits leave that are not going to be starters, and it seems he was fighting for his life for playing time anyway, so not a big surprise. Texas Tech need any LB's? Of course, Angelo is to qualified to play Defense in the big 12, he has been taught the basics of Defense. :)

Reactions: 39HISMN
And recruiting in the last two classes has probably been better then the 2015 class. This is how it works in college football. Recruit better players if you can, and if current guys get passed up on the depth chart they can hang and hope to get their shot, or look for a better chance elsewhere. I'll be concerned when guys who are solid starters, or our leading rusher decides to transfer, similar to what was happening with Licklighter in basketball. Until then nothing to see here.

Generally agree. I don't blame players as they get one shot to play college FB and if they don't think it's going to happen at a school they have a mechanism to leave. Garbutt had interesting athletic ability and would have liked to see what happens in 2018, but if he was going to move now was the time to do it.

Your overall point is correct. If it's guys at the bottom of the depth chart, it allows you to more quickly turn that into a player who could contribute.

ADVERTISEMENT