ADVERTISEMENT

Anger or apathy?

torbee

HR King
Gold Member
Both are surging in me regarding Iowa football. Anger has the early lead.

Here is this week's TwT:

Tuesdays with Torbee​

s7cqvm6hohpi7nwczq8y

Tory Brecht • HawkeyeReport
Columnist Edit

I almost didn’t write this column.

What more needs to – or indeed, can be – said about Iowa football’s steadfast commitment to consistently putting out an incapable offense that makes a mockery of the team’s stellar defense and special teams by continually putting them in unwinnable positions?

What point is there in calling out the absurdity of not even seeing if a change at quarterback might offer even a tiny spark in a season of offensive darkness? It’s never going to happen and all indications point to every single remaining game following the same eye bleach-inducing, boring, frustrating commitment to incompetence.

Pointing out Iowa’s well-known and un-addressed weaknesses is a lesson in futility. As is the absurdity of fellow fans knocking the Iowa media for not “asking the tough questions.” Indeed, no questions are “tough” for a coaching staff so ensconced in a privileged cocoon of unaccountability that notions of jobs being on the line are met with a mere snort of derision.

You know this team won 10 games last year, right?

Never mind that since reeling off six straight wins, that same team has gone an ugly 7-7, failing to eclipse even 10 points in six of those games and several others resulting in double digits only thanks to defensive scores.

Never mind that Iowa ranks dead last in the entire college football world in virtually every offensive category.

Never mind that Iowa’s utter incompetence on one side of the ball is a running national joke among football experts.

Never mind that any other team holding a very mediocre Illinois squad to 9 points would have won by double digits and spared its fans the ignominy of a gloating Bret Bielema.

There is no reason to dissect the play on the field at this time. It is the same as it’s been for a full-season’s worth of games and shows absolutely no sign of changing any time soon. Now, the only interesting talking points surround the soap opera stuff of big time college football.

Questions like if Iowa truly has the worst offense in college football history, will even that be enough to force an untouchable head coach to demote or even dismiss his own progeny, who is the architect of the shambles of an offense? Will the grinning, aw-shucks, what-me-worry athletic director attempt to, for once, exert any pressure on the pater familias of the Iowa football program to make changes?

For fans, the behind-the-scenes drama is far more likely to be interesting than the stale, sub-standard product the players are putting on the field in 2022. Midway through the fourth quarter Saturday, I turned to the traveling companions (Iowa fans all) I was traveling with and – with the game still very much in doubt, mind you – asked why the hell we were even watching this dreadful game in the first place.

The sad, sick truth is my Iowa fandom is so rabid, such a part of my very being, that I can’t tear my eyes away even when the gameplay is so bad it offends the senses.

Maybe it's PTSD from being a Cubs fan since 1978, but I'm in it full-bore, win or lose, for life. I will whine and complain and wonder why bad coaches aren't fired and yell and throw things at my TV, but none of that will stop me from watching every single game I can and cheering for a win, no matter how unlikely. I figure if I can stomach keeping my season basketball tickets through the Todd Lickliter era (and I did!), there is pretty much nothing the Ferentz family can do to make me stop caring about the football team. It is also worth noting that unlike Lickliter, the Ferentz clan at least have brought me much joy and happy memories over the years, so a dismal year here and there isn’t going to force me to stop watching Iowa football.

But I will continue to ask why. Why would a smart, savvy football guy like Kirk be too stubborn to shake things up? At what point does he realize that doubling down on a relatively untested offensive coordinator by adding quarterback coaching duties to his job make no sense? Why would someone who has demonstrated a mastery of complementary football allow one-third of the triumvirate necessary for that strategy fall into absolute ruin?

I mentioned being a Cubs fan. This year, the Cubs had by any objective measure a poor season: a 74-88, third-place finish in which they were 19 games out of first place. But manager David Ross continually juggled his lineup, put regular starters in as relievers, brought guys from the bullpen to start, tried guys in different positions and threw young rookies right into the fire to see how they’d react. Despite being outmatched talent wise all year, that Cubs team scraped, clawed, and even managed to scratch out a .500-plus 38-31 record in the second half of the season. I watched nearly every game I could, despite Chicago having zero chance at postseason play, simply because they were competitive and actually trying to improve.

It pains me to admit, I don’t see that same fire or desire in this Iowa football team. Don’t get me wrong, I think the players are trying hard and competing – but organizationally, there is near zero sense of urgency or demand for change. I understand that one of the historical strengths of the Hawkeye football program is consistency and refusal to panic, but it seems to me that has morphed from a strength into a form of sclerotic stubbornness.

At some point, something has to give. But given the glacial pace of change in the Ferentzian football ecosystem, it is likely to feel like an eon before any change happens.

Last edited:

Here is this week's TwT:

Tuesdays with Torbee​

s7cqvm6hohpi7nwczq8y

Columnist Edit

What more needs to – or indeed, can be – said about Iowa football’s steadfast commitment to consistently putting out an incapable offense that makes a mockery of the team’s stellar defense and special teams by continually putting them in unwinnable positions?

What point is there in calling out the absurdity of not even seeing if a change at quarterback might offer even a tiny spark in a season of offensive darkness? It’s never going to happen and all indications point to every single remaining game following the same eye bleach-inducing, boring, frustrating commitment to incompetence.

Pointing out Iowa’s well-known and un-addressed weaknesses is a lesson in futility. As is the absurdity of fellow fans knocking the Iowa media for not “asking the tough questions.” Indeed, no questions are “tough” for a coaching staff so ensconced in a privileged cocoon of unaccountability that notions of jobs being on the line are met with a mere snort of derision.

Never mind that since reeling off six straight wins, that same team has gone an ugly 7-7, failing to eclipse even 10 points in six of those games and several others resulting in double digits only thanks to defensive scores.

Never mind that Iowa ranks dead last in the entire college football world in virtually every offensive category.

Never mind that Iowa’s utter incompetence on one side of the ball is a running national joke among football experts.

Never mind that any other team holding a very mediocre Illinois squad to 9 points would have won by double digits and spared its fans the ignominy of a gloating Bret Bielema.

There is no read on to dissect the play on the field at this time. It is the same as it’s been for a full-season’s worth of games and shows absolutely no sign of changing any time soon. Now, the only interesting talking points surround the soap opera stuff of big time college football.

Questions like if Iowa truly has the worst offense in college football history, will even that be enough to force an untouchable head coach to demote or even dismiss his own progeny, who is the architect of the shambles of an offense? Will the grinning, aw-shucks, what-me-worry athletic director attempt to, for once, exert any pressure on the pater familias of the Iowa football program to make changes?

For fans, the behind-the-scenes drama is far more likely to be interesting than the stale, sub-standard product the players are putting on the field in 2022. Midway through the fourth quarter Saturday, I turned to the traveling companions (Iowa fans all) I was traveling with and – with the game still very much in doubt, mind you – asked why the hell we were even watching this dreadful game in the first place.

The sad, sick truth is my Iowa fandom is so rabid, such a part of my very being, that I can’t tear my eyes away even when the gameplay is so bad it offends the senses.

Maybe it's PTSD from being a Cubs fan since 1978, but I'm in it full-bore, win or lose, for life. I will whine and complain and wonder why bad coaches aren't fired and yell and throw things at my TV, but none of that will stop me from watching every single game I can and cheering for a win, no matter how unlikely. I figure if I can stomach keeping my season basketball tickets through the Todd Lickliter era (and I did!), there is pretty much nothing the Ferentz family can do to make me stop caring about the football team. It is also worth noting that unlike Lickliter, the Ferentz clan at least have brought me much joy and happy memories over the years, so a dismal year here and there isn’t going to force me to stop watching Iowa football.

But I will continue to ask why. Why would a smart, savvy football guy like Kirk be too stubborn to shake things up? At what point does he realize that doubling down on a relatively untested offensive coordinator by adding quarterback coaching duties to his job make no sense? Why would someone who has demonstrated a mastery of complementary football allow one-third of the triumvirate necessary for that strategy fall into absolute ruin?

I mentioned being a Cubs fan. This year, the Cubs had by any objective measure a poor season: a 74-88, third-place finish in which they were 19 games out of first place. But manager David Ross continually juggled his lineup, put regular starters in as relievers, brought guys from the bullpen to start, tried guys in different positions and threw young rookies right into the fire to see how they’d react. Despite being outmatched talent wise all year, that Cubs team scraped, clawed, and even managed to scratch out a .500-plus 38-31 record in the second half of the season. I watched nearly every game I could, despite Chicago having zero chance at postseason play, simply because they were competitive and actually trying to improve.

It pains me to admit, I don’t see that same fire or desire in this Iowa football team. Don’t get me wrong, I think the players are trying hard and competing – but organizationally, there is near zero sense of urgency or demand for change. I understand that one of the historical strengths of the Hawkeye football program is consistency and refusal to panic, but it seems to me that has morphed from a strength into a form of sclerotic stubbornness.

At some point, something has to give. But given the glacial pace of change in the Ferentzian football ecosystem, it is likely to feel like an eon before any change happens.
My grandpa was a journalist. You're good at your craft! I am a football novice but hell I'll read anything in print. It's too bad journalism is getting a bad rap these days. You should be writing for sports illustrated or something big. Hell, I'd even subscribe if they still gave the football phone away hehe.

I always watch college sports for entertainment. That's all. Rest all, who cares? They're kids.

I don't understand the vitriol on sound off. I think athletic compensation is out of hand and the mission of the university and university sports is perverted by NIL and other junk but hey who am I? I'm a nerd, that's what.

The football program is the top piece of marketing for the UI. What do you think is the message that it's getting across through this marketing agent?

Here is this week's TwT:

Tuesdays with Torbee​

s7cqvm6hohpi7nwczq8y

Columnist Edit

There is no read on to dissect the play on the field at this time. It is the same as it’s been for a full-season’s worth of games and shows absolutely no sign of changing any time soon. Now, the only interesting talking points surround the soap opera stuff of big time college football.

Mary wears the pants in the family.

• Haha
Reactions: GOHOX69
Apathy.

I realize that there are number of issues on offense -- poor OL, lack of talent at WR, scheme/playcalling.

But after the SDSU opener, I commented that this is entertainment, and is supposed to be fun, and it is impossible for me to have fun watching a game quarterbacked by #7. It is cruel and unusual punishment to watch him take a snap and attempt to drop back or roll out.

I said I would give it one more game (Iowa State) to either see a change at QB or improvement (unlikely in a 5th year). Neither happened, so I'm out.

Here is this week's TwT:

Tuesdays with Torbee​

s7cqvm6hohpi7nwczq8y

Columnist Edit

Yes. Most of my anger stems from Parker and his boys getting effed by Brian and the offense. We have had pretty good records of late in spite of the offense. This year, the offense is so bad that it is finally showing up in the record. I do not see this getting any better without a wholesale change on offense:
  1. New OC with a new philosophy to actually make the opposing defense defend every inch of the field on every play.
  2. Kirk will let said new OC be in charge of scoring points and just let him do his thing without controlling him with an invisible hand (if Saban can do it, Kirk can too).
  3. To the extent we do not have the right players, get new ones from the transfer portal or from the defensive side of the ball. For instance, a quarterback who can win with his feet, like Cooper DeJean. Well, at least with some packages.

Last edited:
Reactions: MitchLL and torbee
Apathy. I watch the game but I have no hope that Iowa will score points or win. My heart rate doesn't go up, I don't get worked up or excited or even angry. Simply have another beer and when the game is over turn on another game without a thought.

I think that is the definition of apathy. Of course, ol' Gary Barta would read my post and say "you're still watching". Yep, still watching, until I ain't.

Apathy.

I realize that there are number of issues on offense -- poor OL, lack of talent at WR, scheme/playcalling.

But after the SDSU opener, I commented that this is entertainment, and is supposed to be fun, and it is impossible for me to have fun watching a game quarterbacked by #7. It is cruel and unusual punishment to watch him take a snap and attempt to drop back or roll out.

I said I would give it one more game (Iowa State) to either see a change at QB or improvement (unlikely in a 5th year). Neither happened, so I'm out.
Only way Iowa changes QB is if Spencer is injured. Which could be the OSU weekend.

Good shit torbs, it's apathy for me. With a 2 month old, the shitty product and zero time has turned Iowa football from my plan for 12 Saturdays to an afterthought. I was 12ish when KF took over, I respect KF and thank him for everything he has done. I actually believe, if given the time, KF would rebuild us into a 8-9 win team again in 2-3 years but I'm not interested in another rebuild and kf6.0. There is a chance I'll be longing for the outback bowl in 7 years with a new staff but I would rather watch something new.

Good shit torbs, it's apathy for me. With a 2 month old, the shitty product and zero time has turned Iowa football from my plan for 12 Saturdays to an afterthought. I was 12ish when KF took over, I respect KF and thank him for everything he has done. I actually believe, if given the time, KF would rebuild us into a 8-9 win team again in 2-3 years but I'm not interested in another rebuild and kf6.0. There is a chance I'll be longing for the outback bowl in 7 years with a new staff but I would rather watch something new.
How's your turkey doing? Did you eat it yet? hehe.

The thing that gets me is how HARD they make playing football look.

I mean, even when a crap team like Bowling Green or Colorado State is playing a buy-in game against a team like Illinois or Iowa State, their two-star scrub quarterbacks and running backs can actually move the ball a little and sometimes score. How is it possible that Iowa is littered with 3 and 4 star talent - even on offense - and they make gaining a simple first down seem like an almost Herculean impossible task?!

It makes zero sense and is beyond frustrating.

Only way I'd be in favor of Kirk continuing is with a new offense. Staff and scheme. Otherwise time to give him the gold watch.

I always watch college sports for entertainment. That's all. Rest all, who cares? They're kids.

I don't understand the vitriol on sound off. I think athletic compensation is out of hand and the mission of the university and university sports is perverted by NIL and other junk but hey who am I? I'm a nerd, that's what.

While I agree for the most part, athletic compensation, university mission and college sports have been perverted for 50 years. Is it worse than the 80s? Yeah, in scale. But everything has been heading this way since bowl and NCAA tournament expansion, which were pushed by the desire for TV contract money.

Which is why, at this point, if we aren't going back to the way it was in the 50s, not gonna happen, just go full on allowing the players to make money playing in college.

Reactions: GOHOX69
I will forever say that this defense is one of the best defenses Iowa has ever had. Top to bottom, I think they are as good as any other year....
And they might not make a bowl game.
Does 5 wins get u in. That's the only way I see it. The D is certainly up there. Maybe better one I can remember was with Nelson, LeRoy Smith. Greater sp?

All I know is I haven't seen so many people around here upset or making fun of the Offense like I have in the past couple of weeks. People are tired of it who normally tend to be positive or neutral about things Hawkeye-related. Even those who'd be down on the team who'd then say how much they love KF and trust him have been complaining. One who I've never heard go negative was like how can Kansas who's been crap forever and have crappy recruits have a better offense and passing game than us? How can all of these small schools throw it all over and we can't? BF being QB coach was supposed to make the crappy offense better and it's even worse... and people are done. Yes, we won 10 games last year but everyone saw that was despite a poor offense and they are just tired of it.

When the current head football coach at Iowa
has a buyout of $42 million in his contract, then
you have ANGER at the current Iowa Athletic Director.

When the current offensive coordinator at Iowa
is responsible for 9 points less per game than
last season, then you know where the problem is.

Reactions: Gimmered

“Look, Rivals ain’t paying me to do basic research.”

—Torbee, probably

Only way I'd be in favor of Kirk continuing is with a new offense. Staff and scheme. Otherwise time to give him the gold watch.

He rolled from Greg Davis to this, he doesn't get another shot.

He's accomplished a lot while making his fair share of mistakes along the way, but it's unfortunate that this is the path it's going down.

The W's and L's have no bearing on why Iowa plays football in 2022. It's doing it to market the university with a 3.5 hour commercial (that it gets paid to put on) every week. The message that Kirk is putting out there through nepotism and his refusal to join the 21st century is that the UI is archaic, stubborn, and comfortable being the butt of jokes at the national level every week. For that, he needs to be shown the door before the damage is too great. Iowa isn't Northwestern or Vanderbilt, it needs to use its 3.5 hours every week to attract high school kids.

He's accomplished a lot while making his fair share of mistakes along the way, but it's unfortunate that this is the path it's going down.

The W's and L's have no bearing on why Iowa plays football in 2022. It's doing it to market the university with a 3.5 hour commercial (that it gets paid to put on) every week. The message that Kirk is putting out there through nepotism and his refusal to join the 21st century is that the UI is archaic, stubborn, and comfortable being the butt of jokes at the national level every week. For that, he needs to be shown the door before the damage is too great. Iowa isn't Northwestern or Vanderbilt, it needs to use its 3.5 hours every week to attract high school kids.
Can't argue with that. Bottom line. I don't think Brian wants to be here and I don't doubt a sizable number of players and coaches want him either. Except one guy.

Reactions: EpenesaEpenesa
You won’t get invited to many insider luncheons with those takes!

The nepotism angle just makes it so much worse. As much as I liked Bobby Bowden, he really dug in his heels protecting his OC son. Even when it was apparent a change needed to be made. He gave in after several years but never let go of the grudge. Tarnished his legacy a bit in my mind.

Hope your HC wisens up and realizes Iowa football is bigger than keeping his son employed.

• Haha
Reactions: torbee

Here is this week's TwT:

Tuesdays with Torbee​

s7cqvm6hohpi7nwczq8y

Columnist Edit

There is no reason to dissect the play on the field at this time. It is the same as it’s been for a full-season’s worth of games and shows absolutely no sign of changing any time soon. Now, the only interesting talking points surround the soap opera stuff of big time college football.

Stated perfectly Torbs.

giphy.gif

I think it was 3-4 years ago when I decided not to let sports upset me. There was no reason to get as upset as I would over something I can't control one bit. My wife would look at me after a game with utter disgust and my son was terrified of me. Now its simply entertainment. Don't care about Ws or Ls anymore, just being entertained for a few hours a week. Which is why I watch a lot of other teams on Saturdays.

ADVERTISEMENT