ADVERTISEMENT

Ankeny High Schooler get perfect ACT score

Damn. We had one of our players score a 35. Suddenly Yale became a thing for her.
A HS rugby teammate of mine got a 35 and went to MIT. My English and Reading scores hit 35. Too bad I lost track of time on my Science portion.

BTW, Kennedy and Jefferson in Cedar Rapids have had some 36s in recent years.

Reactions: GOHOX69
Aren’t you of Indian descent? If so you didn’t get under 30 and you know it
Look here's the thing. And this is not to sound rude but the American education system, at least until the University level, is a joke. And it's sad because we are the world's wealthiest country and have the best resources. Let me give you an example. India, which is and somewhat still is, dirt poor, starts calculus on their students in 7th grade. We do pre-algebra. They don't have fancy text books. They're on shit paper and basically photocopied from some arcane American or English calc book but my cousins in India were doing partial fractions in calculus in 8th grade. I did that in Engineering Calc II, which was a college course. Same goes for physics, chemistry etc. Where these countries totally suck is creativity, writing etc. That is why most Indians and Asians are math and science gifted. Simply because their immigrant parents paid their dues and their kids I guess are genetically from that mix. If you notice, we also suck at athletics, have no idea of social life (prom, dating etc). Basically, we are good at a few certain things. So yes you are correct in your assessment but it's nothing to brag about. I think people who are not of Asian descent in the US could kick ass also but we simply don't give 2 shits. We have lots of distractions here, resources and fun things to do. Besides, one could say that would make a person narrow minded. In places like India, being good at those subjects is your meal ticket out from poverty. Look at people like Satya Nadella, Sundar Pichai etc. They were one grade out from not being billionaires :)

A kid just graduated from the University of Minnesota at the age of 13. Sheldon Cooper wannabe I guess. Physics I believe.

Wants to be a Professor, talk about a waste of talent. Go cure cancer you little shit.

She might not be sniffing any AMERICAN schools. Cambridge?

Why not? More typical for Americanos to go Rhode Scholar on either Oxford or Cambridge though!
The girl from Kennedy that got 36 from Kennedy not long ago (may have been Indian, definitely immigrant) went to Princeton for civil engineering, but the girl from Jefferson that got a 36 was in the autism spectrum program, so she stayed close to home and (amazingly) Coe got her on full scholarship for physics.

Last edited:
I good friend of mine in HS got a 34, he dropped out of college and is a stay at home dad while his wife is a realtor.

He was one of those guys that has an amazing ability to remember everything they've ever read. I hated him for how easy school was for him.
Wow. This describes someone I graduated with to a T.

The girl from Kennedy that got 36 from Kennedy not long ago (may have been Indian, definitely immigrant) went to Princeton for civil engineering, but the girl from Jefferson that got a 36 was in the autism spectrum program, so she stayed close to home and (amazingly) Coe got her on full scholarship for physics.
Coe actually has an awesome physics program, especially in what they call Raman spectroscopy. We collaborate with them. Whacky but true.

Reactions: Menace Sockeyes
Coe actually has an awesome physics program, especially in what they call Raman spectroscopy. We collaborate with them. Whacky but true.
Yes! I believe this is the program. I know one project she and a couple of her former HS classmates were working on was using this to study the properties of different forms of glass? That sound right?

No need to be angry my friend @EvilMonkeyInTheCloset. It's just that anyone with a bright academic future usually leaves Iowa, as the schools in the state, are mediocre academically, at best.

She claims she wants to study chemical engineering. Iowa's program is a joke. ISU no clue.
Yeah well maybe she could make it better so that all the smart people come to Iowa..............................and help them win a national championship. :D

Yes! I believe this is the program. I know one project she and a couple of her former HS classmates were working on was using this to study the properties of different forms of glass? That sound right?
You don't know how right you are! You have hit the proverbial bullseye. We're using that expertise to bind tiny little probes of nucleic acid to develop an early screen for multiple cancers. From a single drop of blood minus the fraud.

1 in 735 people get a perfect score. I’m not sure why this is news.
I have been trying to figure this out as well. There were five Asian students, including a set of twins, at one high school here in Las Vegas who had perfect scores. They were featured in the local news.

I do not remember this stuff as being all that newsworthy. I suspect that the ACT organization has a PR firm pushing these stories. They are located right in Iowa City, so someone on these boards should have some insight.

Edit:

I am now curious as to the prevalence of perfect scores among the various races. I suspect that a whole lot more than 1 in 735 Asians get perfect scores. That would be a more provocative statistic and worthy even of discussion in my view.

Last edited:
A kid on our street got a perfect ACT score last year as a junior. The kid is staying in-state to go to NC St. for engineering. Well rounded kid who was in band and played a sport.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT