ADVERTISEMENT

Ankeny Karens

Tenacious E

HR Legend
Dec 4, 2001
We live across the street from an elementary school, which apparently means people bitch about all kinds of things for my house that I am sure they don't believe apply to their own houses. First was for tree branches that JUST extended into the road, about 10 feet high. Someone complained about that so I trimmed them up to 20 feet high. That was fun. It had to been one of the people dropping their kids off at school, 99% of which are moms where I live. Now this morning, a cop stopped by our house because someone complained about trucks parked in the street in front of our house, as we are having some remodeling done. The cop talked to the dudes but determined there was no problem with how and where they were parked, and was cool about it. But jesus, someone called the cops over that because they actually had to stay in their lane after they pulled out of the school and couldn't take up 1.5 lanes?

Last edited:
You're ignoring the biggest problem facing Ankeny residents - Story county drivers. They should be required to have an orange flag extending six feet above the top of their vehicle, much like a moped, to make them stand out to other drivers. That way I can pull into the other lane when I see one stopped at a light so that I'm not stuck behind them driving 10 mph under the speed limit.

Reactions: Tenacious E
We live across the street from an elementary school, which apparently means people bitch about all kinds of things for my house that I am sure they don't believe to their own houses. First was for tree branches that JUST extended into the road, about 10 feet high. Someone complained about that so I trimmed them up to 20 feet high. That was fun. It had to been one of the people dropping their kids off at school, 99% of which are moms where I live. Now this morning, a cop stopped by our house because someone complained about trucks parked in the street in front of our house, as we are having some remodeling done. The cop talked to the dudes but determined there was not problem with how and where they were parked, and was cool about it. But jesus, someone called the cops over that because they actually had to stay in their lane after they pulled out of the school and couldn't take up 1.5 lanes?
I’ll admit it. I called in the tree trimming. You see, after you leave for work, Mrs. E always wants me to come over to take care of her bush (wink wink). Every time I walk up to your place swingin’ my big ol’ lovestick, those branches get in the way and it sorta hurts bro. Thanks for trimming your wood so I can lay more!

You're ignoring the biggest problem facing Ankeny residents - Story county drivers. They should be required to have an orange flag extending six feet above the top of their vehicle, much like a moped, to make them stand out to other drivers. That way I can pull into the other lane when I see one stopped at a light so that I'm not stuck behind them driving 10 mph under the speed limit.
Every ‘burb has its burdens to bear. Here on the west side of Polk, we fear the dreaded “Dallas” county vehicle.

Sorry to say this but Iowa drivers in general suck. You all drive too slow and are habitual left lane loungers. The speed limit in SoDak is 80 mph which means we drive 85 mph. The Dakotas are spread out and we got places to go so when Iowans cross the state line they need to get their butts in gear. God forbid you encounter an Iowa plate while driving up in Sioux Falls. Sioux County drivers might be the worst.

Even when driving in your own state of Iowa, you guys make I-80 across the state the most miserable driving experience because of left lane loungers and self-appointed speed limit enforcers. You hanging out in the left lane backing up a line of cars a mile long is not making it safer by keeping speeds down, you're causing a pile up of cars that results in a much greater chance of an accident not to mention inducing road rage. Move to the right lane and get the F out of the way.

About 10 years ago I had someone from the city knock on my door. Guy gives me a paper that says I had 10 days to fix my yard or I'd face a fine. I was like what are you talking about? My lawn is mowed and it looks just like every other yard. He said there was a report of large weeds. So, we walked around the front and he was like I don't get it and said it must be a mistake. About that time, the neighbor lady came walking over asking the guy what they were going to do about the weeds... that she called the complaint two days ago and why did it take so long. We both said what weeds? She took us around the rear of the house and pointed out a raised garden with tomato plants... and there were literally two weeds about 12" tall mixed in. Keep in mind you cannot see this from the street and there are just woods behind the house. This lady was the only one who could see this and only if she was standing at the side of her house. The guy walked over, pulled the weeds, shook his head, told her not to waste the city's time in the future, and walked away. Needless to say, the lady was a PITA and rude before and after it. Was never so happy to move out of a house before when we sold a couple of years later.

About 10 years ago I had someone from the city knock on my door. Guy gives me a paper that says I had 10 days to fix my yard or I'd face a fine. I was like what are you talking about? My lawn is mowed and it looks just like every other yard. He said there was a report of large weeds. So, we walked around the front and he was like I don't get it and said it must be a mistake. About that time, the neighbor lady came walking over asking the guy what they were going to do about the weeds... that she called the complaint two days ago and why did it take so long. We both said what weeds? She took us around the rear of the house and pointed out a raised garden with tomato plants... and there were literally two weeds about 12" tall mixed in. Keep in mind you cannot see this from the street and there are just woods behind the house. This lady was the only one who could see this and only if she was standing at the side of her house. The guy walked over, pulled the weeds, shook his head, told her not to waste the city's time in the future, and walked away. Needless to say, the lady was a PITA and rude before and after it. Was never so happy to move out of a house before when we sold a couple of years later.
You win - I can't compete with that.

I’ve driven down plenty of streets where branches hang over sidewalks and streets, obstructing sight lines, walkways, and driving lanes. Have even had my side mirror damaged by a branch that was hanging over the street. Hate to be a Karen, but it’s always best to keep trees and bushes pruned and trimmed so they’re not in the way of street traffic, walkers, bikers, signs, etc.

The calling the police for trucks in front of your house is BS though. I could understand it if they were parked there several days in a row without moving, but not for workers at your house.

The general rule is that other people suck.

Sorry to say this but Iowa drivers in general suck. You all drive too slow and are habitual left lane loungers. The speed limit in SoDak is 80 mph which means we drive 85 mph. The Dakotas are spread out and we got places to go so when Iowans cross the state line they need to get their butts in gear. God forbid you encounter an Iowa plate while driving up in Sioux Falls. Sioux County drivers might be the worst.

Even when driving in your own state of Iowa, you guys make I-80 across the state the most miserable driving experience because of left lane loungers and self-appointed speed limit enforcers. You hanging out in the left lane backing up a line of cars a mile long is not making it safer by keeping speeds down, you're causing a pile up of cars that results in a much greater chance of an accident not to mention inducing road rage. Move to the right lane and get the F out of the way.
images

I'd park my cars on the street for the next week.

Of course, I'd never buy a house across the street from a school...

These drivers are SOTE

Reactions: Thunderlips71
We live across the street from an elementary school, which apparently means people bitch about all kinds of things for my house that I am sure they don't believe apply to their own houses. First was for tree branches that JUST extended into the road, about 10 feet high. Someone complained about that so I trimmed them up to 20 feet high. That was fun. It had to been one of the people dropping their kids off at school, 99% of which are moms where I live. Now this morning, a cop stopped by our house because someone complained about trucks parked in the street in front of our house, as we are having some remodeling done. The cop talked to the dudes but determined there was not problem with how and where they were parked, and was cool about it. But jesus, someone called the cops over that because they actually had to stay in their lane after they pulled out of the school and couldn't take up 1.5 lanes?
Understand your necessity to temporarily park in the street but those that have a 3 car driveway that use the street when their driveway is empty is a pet peeve of mine. Have a neighbor who has his daughter park on the opposite side of our driveway. Can't believe we haven't hit it yet.

I’ve driven down plenty of streets where branches hang over sidewalks and streets, obstructing sight lines, walkways, and driving lanes. Have even had my side mirror damaged by a branch that was hanging over the street. Hate to be a Karen, but it’s always best to keep trees and bushes pruned and trimmed so they’re not in the way of street traffic, walkers, bikers, signs, etc.

The calling the police for trucks in front of your house is BS though. I could understand it if they were parked there several days in a row without moving, but not for workers at your house.
Is the top of your truck taller than 10 feet? The branch was small, and literally you would be needing do drive a semi or a garbage truck for it to have the possibility of touching the top of it. Now that I am thinking about it, that might have been the garbage or recycling truck that complained. But probably not, because the next street over has trees hanging into the street - lower than mine - on every other house. So it was probably a school Karen thing.

Just stay east and south of 80/35. We don’t want you Polk County poors out this way.
When I first moved to DSM almost 50 yrs. ago, one of the first pieces of local advice I received was “Beware whenever you see an Iowa plate with the county prefix “22””.....It really was good advice. Worst phuquin’ drivers I have ever witnessed. (The only difference is now they write the name of the county on the license plates.) To this very day! Sorry.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT