ADVERTISEMENT

Announcers Today Said .....

GunnerHawk

HR All-American
Mar 16, 2014
Someone from ESPN had talked to some other coaches and they said Iowa's biggest issue is the OL is soft. Did anyone else hear that?

They don't seem to be as physical that's for sure but footwork seems to be slow. Could be youth, could be strength and conditioning or maybe Barnett. Hoping another year in the weight room will help show marked improvement. FWIW, watching Michigan's OL tonight, great run blockers. They won the Joe Moore award last year and could again this year.

I thought the line played better today but NW's front seven isn't good. Hope they can keep it moving forward next week.

Someone from ESPN had talked to some other coaches and they said Iowa's biggest issue is the OL is soft. Did anyone else hear that?

They don't seem to be as physical that's for sure but footwork seems to be slow. Could be youth, could be strength and conditioning or maybe Barnett. Hoping another year in the weight room will help show marked improvement. FWIW, watching Michigan's OL tonight, great run blockers. They won the Joe Moore award last year and could again this year.

I thought the line played better today but NW's front seven isn't good. Hope they can keep it moving forward next week.
it's been really obvious in the games they lost but today northwestern made petras look like tom brady out there . they must not be good

This is truth. And I believe Brian will move on at the end of the season. I see no other path forward. He must for his dad, himself, and Iowa fans.
Well if we win out he might stay. We know know it was not a QB problem but a sucky line problem

The O-Line is soft, the offense in General is soft. Some of this is the Doyle / Litigation effect. Brian is tipping around on thin Ice, can’t be himself, trying to be politically correct , can’t push players like he wants to or even needs to. Phil on the other hand doesn’t give a crap,,,,he is going to coach hard, be demanding because he has established himself in a different way than Brian

The O-Line is soft, the offense in General is soft. Some of this is the Doyle / Litigation effect. Brian is tipping around on thin Ice, can’t be himself, trying to be politically correct , can’t push players like he wants to or even needs to. Phil on the other hand doesn’t give a crap,,,,he is going to coach hard, be demanding because he has established himself in a different way than Brian

the Rhabdoyle effect.

Correct…..has nothing to do with Doyle. Unless the defense has a different strength coach than the offense? It has everything thing to do with the fact if you take a hood hard look instead of just complaining you will see a solid big 10 team will normally have a veteran o-line. At best a sprinkling of youth mixed in. Because of injuries, a couple of transfers and a couple that just never worked out ( you will always have a couple of those) it has left mostly Our young guys to take the field. These guys are more than capable but need time. Northwestern is in the same position and as you saw our guys out played there guys pretty well yesterday! Look at it like this ….defensive line = deep veteran guys with a couple of your guys sprinkled in! Offensive line = mostly young guys with 1 veteran that has his limits. That’s it in a nutshell!

Yeah jeez all of those other 130 teams just must be able to “push” their players (read: being racist towards) then huh. Yeah that’s the reason our OL is soft: they just need to be a tough guy like you. Lmao get out of here man

Reactions: chaneccooms

You can be a hard ass tough coach without getting personal and say stupid things.

Correct…..has nothing to do with Doyle. Unless the defense has a different strength coach than the offense? It has everything thing to do with the fact if you take a hood hard look instead of just complaining you will see a solid big 10 team will normally have a veteran o-line. At best a sprinkling of youth mixed in. Because of injuries, a couple of transfers and a couple that just never worked out ( you will always have a couple of those) it has left mostly Our young guys to take the field. These guys are more than capable but need time. Northwestern is in the same position and as you saw our guys out played there guys pretty well yesterday! Look at it like this ….defensive line = deep veteran guys with a couple of your guys sprinkled in! Offensive line = mostly young guys with 1 veteran that has his limits. That’s it in a nutshell!
So when they are 5th year seniors they will be ready to go? The eternal ‘young excuse’ used every single year by the homers. We could have a line of all seniors and people would still be using the same excuse.

I don't buy the Doyle effect. It hasn't affected the defense and special teams. Brian and Kirk are the problem. Kirk please hire a real OC and leave that side of the ball alone. And fire the oline coach.

Reactions: hawkhorn
This is truth. And I believe Brian will move on at the end of the season. I see no other path forward. He must for his dad, himself, and Iowa fans.
If he had any class and wasn’t a narcissist he would have done what Jeff Bowden did and resign already!

Your absolutely correct. My point is because of the litigation, Brian has changed his style of coaching. He can’t be as demanding as he use to be. If you coach soft, you get soft and that’s exactly what is going on. You can coach hard and demand toughness without being demeaning,,,actually players want to be coached hard —

The only way the OC stays after this abomination of a start following last year's abomination is if they can somehow continue the offensive improvement we saw against what is probably the weakest team in the west division for the rest of this season and then win a bowl game against a decent opponent. I hope this happens for the defense's sake, but I don’t really care whether the OC stays or goes. I just want the team to play better!!!!!

ADVERTISEMENT