ADVERTISEMENT

Announcers

BK Hawk1

Rookie
Dec 13, 2014
Iowa has to have the two worst play by play combo in college football. I listened to their one hour pep talk for the spring game. Is their salary based on how much ass they can kiss? You would have thought Iowa was Ohio State times 5. They are simply The worst. It's not just my opinion, most of my friends feel the same, even more so. Oh for the days of Gonder, Reilly, Zabel, Brooks, etc. Dolphin and Podalak are not play by play people, they are totally delusinary. They play true Iowa fans for fools!

Iowa has to have the two worst play by play combo in college football. I listened to their one hour pep talk for the spring game. Is their salary based on how much ass they can kiss? You would have thought Iowa was Ohio State times 5. They are simply The worst. It's not just my opinion, most of my friends feel the same, even more so. Oh for the days of Gonder, Reilly, Zabel, Brooks, etc. Dolphin and Podalak are not play by play people, they are totally delusinary. They play true Iowa fans for fools!

Well, if your friends all think this, it MUST represent all Hawk fans.

Gary Dolphin is WAY over his head. He belongs in a radio booth in some high school football facility, which is where I believe Learfield found him. But when the love of money takes hold, this is one result. The exclusive voice of Iowa sports, Learfield Dolphin. Some people tire of hearing about the past, but we recognize how annoying facts can be. And the facts are that Ron Gonder, Bob Brooks, Jim Zabel, et al. were fantastic. Any Iowa radio station that wanted to could stick a banner on a booth in Kinnick and broadcast Iowa football. Then the mighty dollar stepped in and stole all that away and left us with a guy who couldn't carry any of those iconic announcers' binoculars.

As for Podolak, between working with Dolphin and trying to describe KF football, what do you expect? That's an all but impossible task. Eddie did just fine with Zabel and respectable Iowa football teams. But there's no excuse for Dolphin. I feel sorry for him really. He's like a middle school basketball player trying to guard LeBron James. He's totally out of his league.

Reactions: NashvilleHawk
Gary Dolphin is WAY over his head. He belongs in a radio booth in some high school football facility, which is where I believe Learfield found him. But when the love of money takes hold, this is one result. The exclusive voice of Iowa sports, Learfield Dolphin. Some people tire of hearing about the past, but we recognize how annoying facts can be. And the facts are that Ron Gonder, Bob Brooks, Jim Zabel, et al. were fantastic. Any Iowa radio station that wanted to could stick a banner on a booth in Kinnick and broadcast Iowa football. Then the mighty dollar stepped in and stole all that away and left us with a guy who couldn't carry any of those iconic announcers' binoculars.

As for Podolak, between working with Dolphin and trying to describe KF football, what do you expect? That's an all but impossible task. Eddie did just fine with Zabel and respectable Iowa football teams. But there's no excuse for Dolphin. I feel sorry for him really. He's like a middle school basketball player trying to guard LeBron James. He's totally out of his league.

I absolutely LOVE listening to Ed Podolak! I liken Ed to Mark Ironside, who tells it like it is, good, bad or in-between in regards to Iowa Wrestling. BUT, I think Ed is considerably more "hamstrung" on what he is "allowed" to say on the air, coupled with his past transgressions, he has to walk on eggs (what a crappy way to have to do your job - were I him, I'd get the hell out and stay in California and count my money). I don't doubt for a second if there were no repercussions, you would hear Ed Podolak describe the last several Iowa teams and what appears to be some half-assed teams on the horizon as they actually are, lousy (and that is being kind IMO).

I would love to hear Ed's unabashed version of the state of Iowa Football, without the fear of losing a job he obviously loves to do.

Dolphin doesn't do much for me either, that's as complimentary as I can be about him I guess.

I absolutely LOVE listening to Ed Podolak! I liken Ed to Mark Ironside, who tells it like it is, good, bad or in-between in regards to Iowa Wrestling. BUT, I think Ed is considerably more "hamstrung" on what he is "allowed" to say on the air, coupled with his past transgressions, he has to walk on eggs (what a crappy way to have to do your job - were I him, I'd get the hell out and stay in California and count my money). I don't doubt for a second if there were no repercussions, you would hear Ed Podolak describe the last several Iowa teams and what appears to be some half-assed teams on the horizon as they actually are, lousy (and that is being kind IMO).

I would love to hear Ed's unabashed version of the state of Iowa Football, without the fear of losing a job he obviously loves to do.

Dolphin doesn't do much for me either, that's as complimentary as I can be about him I guess.
Dolph is a great ambassador for the Univ. of Iowa, and his game broadcasts are fine. Ed Podolak is one of the best football analysts around. It is amazing how so many here just love to bitch about everything.

Ed Podolak is one of the best football analysts around. It is amazing how so many here just love to bitch about everything.

His voice is terrible. He sounds like he's been on a 3 day bender, literally, all the time. Vocal quality is a key aspect of being a RADIO broadcaster. In terms of his analytical abilities, he's no better or worse than any other broadcaster that I've ever heard. He will also faithfully toe the company line, just like Dolph.

Podolak wasn't with Dolph on Saturday for the spring game. I don't remember who it was, though it wasn't anyone I'd heard him work with before. So leave Podolak out of your Spring Game broadcast rant. I concur Saturday's broadcast wasn't good, and if you were hoping to hear play by play of the spring game itself, it would have been very difficult to follow.

As for them pumping players/team/coaches up, well, that's what they're supposed to do this time of year. I wouldn't have expected to turn on the official broadcast and hear anything else.

Zabel, may he rest in peace, was a Hawkeye institution. But Zabel was a horrible play-by-play guy. Not as bad as Dolphin, but bad. You never knew the situation, time, location of the ball.....or the score, if Iowa was behind. And this wasn't something that devolved as he got older. It was the way things were when I started listening to him in the late '50s.

Dolph is a great ambassador for the Univ. of Iowa, and his game broadcasts are fine. Ed Podolak is one of the best football analysts around. It is amazing how so many here just love to bitch about everything.
"Dolph is a great ambassador for the Univ. of Iowa". Really? LOL! He's a PAID schill for the University of Iowa, big difference. I get it. He's supposed to be a Homer. That doesn't mean he's great at his job. He isn't, but that's just my opinion. If others think he's great, fine by me.

And with each "everything is great in Iowa City" post of yours, I begin to wonder if you're Dolph himself......................or at least paid by the University in some capacity.

Reactions: WORTHYWISH
"Dolph is a great ambassador for the Univ. of Iowa". Really? LOL! He's a PAID schill for the University of Iowa, big difference. I get it. He's supposed to be a Homer. That doesn't mean he's great at his job. He isn't, but that's just my opinion. If others think he's great, fine by me.

And with each "everything is great in Iowa City" post of yours, I begin to wonder if you're Dolph himself......................or at least paid by the University in some capacity.
Dolphin is PAID by Learfield Communications NOT the University.Do a little homework before you flap your pie hole.

Gary is brutal, but I do give him a very small break in that he is forced to work in what seems like an endless stream of advertisements during the game. Working in a Pioneer seed ad between second and third down isn't easy, but I also believe that if all those were taken away, he would still be bad.
We can't all have Mike Emrick doing our games, but there has to be a younger guy (I only say younger because he would be here for awhile) around somewhere that could take the reins and be immediately better.

Gary is brutal, but I do give him a very small break in that he is forced to work in what seems like an endless stream of advertisements during the game. Working in a Pioneer seed ad between second and third down isn't easy, but I also believe that if all those were taken away, he would still be bad.
We can't all have Mike Emrick doing our games, but there has to be a younger guy (I only say younger because he would be here for awhile) around somewhere that could take the reins and be immediately better.
His name is Mike Grimm.

Dolphin is PAID by Learfield Communications NOT the University.Do a little homework before you flap your pie hole.

It might say Learfield on his checks, but he doesn't see a single penny without the full blessing by the University of Iowa. The university has full say in who Learfield employs to broadcast Hawkeye games.

This is typical of many of the ''doom and gloomers'' who frequent these sites.....Eddie was not even in the booth but this guy hammering him for his commentary thinking he was there....lol... I get that Iowa fb is down right now and some fans hate KF, but the ''woe is us'' attitude from the same 20 posters is overdone....we could win 9 next year, as we should have last year if not for blowing wins vs ISU and Nebby. Those games could easily go our way this year and we are back.

Reactions: thewop
This is typical of many of the ''doom and gloomers'' who frequent these sites.....Eddie was not even in the booth but this guy hammering him for his commentary thinking he was there....lol... I get that Iowa fb is down right now and some fans hate KF, 1) but the ''woe is us'' attitude from Kirk is overdone....we could win 9 next year, 2) as we should have last year if not for blowing wins vs ISU and Nebby. Those games could easily go our way this year and we are back.

1) FIFY
2) What is your definition of blowing games? Did Ball State blow the game last year?

Also, since we are apparently way off topic now, I wonder if you really believe if many of the posters here hate Kirk. Is that hyperbole on your part or do you really think that? I know many of those unhappy with Iowa football, such as myself, have no ill-will towards Ferentz, but would like to see him step down and replaced. That is a far cry from "hating" him.

Reactions: JStandefer

Agree 1000% with this ^^.

This is typical of many of the ''doom and gloomers'' who frequent these sites.....Eddie was not even in the booth but this guy hammering him for his commentary thinking he was there....lol... I get that Iowa fb is down right now and some fans hate KF, but the ''woe is us'' attitude from the same 20 posters is overdone....we could win 9 next year, as we should have last year if not for blowing wins vs ISU and Nebby. Those games could easily go our way this year and we are back.
Glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. This message board is like the opposite of the lego movie theme song "Everything is terrible..."

Also i have never understood the hate for Dolphin. I would much rather listen to Dolphin and Podolak than any announcer on TV

1) FIFY
2) What is your definition of blowing games? Did Ball State blow the game last year?

Also, since we are apparently way off topic now, I wonder if you really believe if many of the posters here hate Kirk. Is that hyperbole on your part or do you really think that? I know many of those unhappy with Iowa football, such as myself, have no ill-will towards Ferentz, but would like to see him step down and replaced. That is a far cry from "hating" him.

I hate him.

A lot.

Homework? What kind of a moron do you have to be to not understand the connection here? (Answer = an excellent one - congratulations)

I wasn't talking just the spring game! I'm saying they both suck year around!

Podolak wasn't with Dolph on Saturday for the spring game. I don't remember who it was, though it wasn't anyone I'd heard him work with before. So leave Podolak out of your Spring Game broadcast rant. I concur Saturday's broadcast wasn't good, and if you were hoping to hear play by play of the spring game itself, it would have been very difficult to follow.

As for them pumping players/team/coaches up, well, that's what they're supposed to do this time of year. I wouldn't have expected to turn on the official broadcast and hear anything else.
So the op dumbass didn't even know who the color man was lol. Idiots abound here.

Iowa has to have the two worst play by play combo in college football. They are simply The worst.
Yep. They are the worst out of all college football announcers currently calling games. No sarcasm. This is backed by irrefutable facts (your friends said so).

Nobody can disagree with the fact that they are the absolute worst, especially when you consider that you don't even have to hear 10% of all the announcers calling college football to KNOW they are the worst. All you have to do is assume.

Well done, OP and thank you for confirming this for us. We have been warned, Hawkeye Nation!!!

Yep. They are the worst out of all college football announcers currently calling games. No sarcasm. This is backed by irrefutable facts (your friends said so).

Nobody can disagree with the fact that they are the absolute worst, especially when you consider that you don't even have to hear 10% of all the announcers calling college football to KNOW they are the worst. All you have to do is assume.

Well done, OP and thank you for confirming this for us. We have been warned, Hawkeye Nation!!!

My god you are selective in calling out hyperbole in your own personal, condescending way. Not surprising though. I know, 'deal with it' or some other "cool" catch phase you've selected for your online persona.

Completely agree with your post. Only correction I might put in is that when the Iowa coaches or players have one of their "that's football" moments, Podolak sometimes goes silent. I think his silence says a lot.

Reactions: thewop
My god you are selective in calling out hyperbole in your own personal, condescending way. (Yes, I am mocking it. Why wouldn't you?) Not surprising though. (Deal with- oh wait.....) I know, 'deal with it' or some other "cool" catch phase you've selected for your online persona.

It's not my fault people can't do a better job of voicing their displeasures, than over-exaggeration ("OUR TEAM IS THE WORST IN THE HISTORY OF HISTORY!!!"....but in a tone that comes off like they almost entirely believe what they're saying, and expect others to or think they already do, as well)...So I have fun with it.
That you have any issue with it whatsoever, though, does not bother me at all. Let that be a lesson for future replies, since this isn't the first time................................................just sayin (dammit I tried, but I couldn't resist saying that.
tongue.gif
)

It's not my fault people can't do a better job of voicing their displeasures, than over-exaggeration ("OUR TEAM IS THE WORST IN THE HISTORY OF HISTORY!!!"....but in a tone that comes off like they almost entirely believe what they're saying, and expect others to or think they already do, as well)...So I have fun with it.
That you have any issue with it whatsoever, though, does not bother me at all. Let that be a lesson for future replies, since this isn't the first time................................................just sayin (dammit I tried, but I couldn't resist saying that.
tongue.gif
)

166.gif

You listened to an hour of the spring broadcast and didn't know Eddie wasn't one of the guys in the booth? Brilliant. Oh, by the way Eddie isn't the play-by-play guy - he's the "color" man just as he was with Z. I know you haven't listened to Eddie since you didn't know he wasn't broadcasting on Saturday - try listening to him as he is far from an ass kisser. He does love and support the Hawks but he calls it pretty square. He's been on the sunshine bandwagon for awhile and he's taken a few shots at our O. Listening is a skill.

Reactions: JStandefer
Honestly would rather listen to Gary and Eddy than, oh I don't know, PAM WARD, BETH MOWINS, dare I say anyone else from ESPN? Let's take a minute and appreciate that we have someone like Gary and Eddy every Saturday and not the aforementioned scrub announcers

Reactions: Speedway1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT