ADVERTISEMENT

Annual Carver sucks thread—2019-2020 edition

Wrestling crowd is loud and it can/will be loud for big games, no one is there tonight is the issue. Getting tickets to the OSU game for a guys outing and will take my boys to one other game but that is about all can swing.
I do think the weather today played a part. Made travel somewhat difficult, especially for a Monday.

Reactions: GRT2B1
It sounded like a mausoleum in game against a big border rival in which there were many big highlight plays culminating in a blowout win.

Time to bring out the beer sales!

Going in is like visiting a prison. Lets not talk about parking.

Parking sucks, I’ll give you that. Most likely that’s not a student issue. Parking for basketball is a dream compared to football though. Parking sucks at any major event. That’s not a CHA problem.

The idiotic narrative brought up a few weeks ago about CHA being a police state is beyond stupid. There’s probably five total cops inside CHA during a game. Three of them sit court side (2 behind each end of the scorer’s table and 1 at the tunnel). There are two roaming the concourse. I’ve never spoken to a police officer at CHA. I’m going to take it a step farther and say that if you have a problem with a cop at CHA, then you’re the problem.

Watch the game. Check out the arms crossed on the front row and were they were staring!

I do watch the games in person and on TV. Sometimes both. Police and security are not the reason students or fans aren’t showing up. That is an ignorant thought process and I don’t know how else to say it politely.

Has anyone ever thought about building a new arena downtown? I really think this would help. Asking for a friend.

You're paying for it right, wow it's nice to have big bucks!!! Make it happen!

Put the students behind the benches and see what happens, I bet it will change the entire culture of Carver.

Reactions: TreyVega
I was at the game. Crowd sucked but the students really sucked.

Fwiw, two kids hit half court shots and each got $150 bucks. There was a halftime competition where a guy and a girl each took turns shooting. The girl made a layup and a free throw and the guy made a layup, free throw and a 3. My point- girl got 3 months free rent... dude got 6 months. Long way off of $150.

I was at the game. Crowd sucked but the students really sucked.

Fwiw, two kids hit half court shots and each got $150 bucks. There was a halftime competition where a guy and a girl each took turns shooting. The girl made a layup and a free throw and the guy made a layup, free throw and a 3. My point- girl got 3 months free rent... dude got 6 months. Long way off of $150.
I saw that! They cut back in from commercial and showed it. Either Hummel or the other commentator said that they won “one...” and paused - I assumed they won a grand - “...hundred and fifty dollars.” Pretty cheap.

Even the commentators thought it was low. This is the kind of penny pinching that I’ve come to associate with the Iowa athletic department though

You're paying for it right, wow it's nice to have big bucks!!! Make it happen!

Put the students behind the benches and see what happens, I bet it will change the entire culture of Carver.
All 15 of them?

Then you tell me your thoughts my friend!

My thoughts are that Iowa basketball is not the “in thing” amongst the students and likely some adults too. The cool thing at Iowa is tailgate every Saturday and party. Iowa football is an event, an all day one at that. Similar to the bleachers at Wrigley. It didn’t matter how bad the Cubs were, the bleachers were packed almost every game. Why, because it’s the in thing to do. Tell me why The Orange Krush and The Paint Crew can pack well over a thousand students into their stadium, but can’t get 100 students to go to a football game.

There are several other factors as well. I promise you though, the reason(s) the kids aren’t showing up has nothing to do with the authority.

Last edited:
I saw that! They cut back in from commercial and showed it. Either Hummel or the other commentator said that they won “one...” and paused - I assumed they won a grand - “...hundred and fifty dollars.” Pretty cheap.

Even the commentators thought it was low. This is the kind of penny pinching that I’ve come to associate with the Iowa athletic department though

Another girl "made" a putt from one end of the floor to the other. They moved the sign so it went in but she was rewarded with a drawstring bag with Iowa crap in it. Again, harder than a layup.

I have no problem with you as a officer of the law. Its your agenda. For instance the police in the south and on the west let the kids have fun.

Police in Michigan, Wisconsin, Indiana, Illinois, and even Minnesota let their kids have fun too. Must be just the Iowa cops.... That can’t be because they’re allowed to have fun up in Ames and Cedar Falls. Hmmmm.

I would shocked if many people west of Williamsburg or so made the trip. The roads sucked in dsm. I gave my tickets to an IC local.

Another girl "made" a putt from one end of the floor to the other. They moved the sign so it went in but she was rewarded with a drawstring bag with Iowa crap in it. Again, harder than a layup.

You have to admit that they’re at least trying to get the kids in the doors. The half court shot, the long putt, the layup-FT-3pt contest. They have the light show and sometimes a DJ. Winning and being a top 25 team will be the tipping point to get the students to show up consistently.

It sounds like everybody wins! She’s guaranteed to win a goodie bag that probably cost the university $20 to throw together. Heartwarming

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT