ADVERTISEMENT

Anonymous coach rips "Overrated" Nick Saban for cheating and more

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
"If you had the No. 1 recruiting class in the country every year [you'd win like Nick Saban]," an anonymous coach told Chip Patterson of CBSSports.com. "He shows up at every single game with a better roster than the teams he's playing."

"If you count cheating and getting the best players in the country as part of running a program, he's the best in the country," the coach added. "It's like saying an NFL coach is the best coach in the league if he gets 25 first-round picks every year."

According to 247Sports, Alabama finished with the No. 1 recruiting class in each season from 2011 to 2017 (that's 7 straight years). The disappointing 2018 class still ranked as the fifth-best one in the country.

The discussion on Saban came in a poll of the most overrated and underrated coaches in the country, with Penn State's James Franklin and Florida State's Willie Taggart tying as the most overrated with each getting 20 percent of the votes.

While Saban only received one vote for overrated, even that seems high for a coach who has a 132-20 record at Alabama with five national titles in the last nine years

LInk: https://syndication.bleacherreport....ban-for-cheating-alabamas-recruiting.amp.html

Last edited:
"If you had the No. 1 recruiting class in the country every year [you'd win like Nick Saban]," an anonymous coach told Chip Patterson of CBSSports.com. "He shows up at every single game with a better roster than the teams he's playing."

"If you count cheating and getting the best players in the country as part of running a program, he's the best in the country," the coach added. "It's like saying an NFL coach is the best coach in the league if he gets 25 first-round picks every year."

According to 247Sports, Alabama finished with the No. 1 recruiting class in each season from 2011 to 2017 (that's 7 straight years). The disappointing 2018 class still ranked as the fifth-best one in the country.

The discussion on Saban came in a poll of the most overrated and underrated coaches in the country, with Penn State's James Franklin and Florida State's Willie Taggart tying as the most overrated with each getting 20 percent of the votes.

While Saban only received one vote for overrated, even that seems high for a coach who has a 132-20 record at Alabama with five national titles in the last nine years

LInk: https://syndication.bleacherreport....ban-for-cheating-alabamas-recruiting.amp.html
200.webp
giphy.gif

Pretty good point about having the first 25 picks in every years draft- Saban is a good coach, but would I be surprised if he is cheating........not even one bit. You would have to be pretty dumb if you thought payments and such were only happening in NCAA- especially considering profits are 100x's more in football. Not saying that every program does this, but you can look at teams pulling in 5 stars every year and at least 1/2 of them are cheating (would bet more actually). I think with KF's recruiting in past 20 years....lets just hope there is a thorough investigation across the nation because I think we would be just fine LOL

From cbsSports.com:

Our CBS Sports college football writers spoke with one-fifth of the 129 active coaches leading FBS teams entering the 2018 season.

Under the condition of anonymity, we asked our coaching panel to speak out about their peers. Who is undeserving of all the praise they receive? Which coaches need to be talked about more? Let's take a look at their responses.

Who is the most overrated coach in college football?

Coach Responses

1) Willie Taggart, Florida State 20 percent

1) James Franklin, Penn State 20 percent

3) Kirk Ferentz, Iowa 13 percent

3) Lane Kiffin, FAU 13 percent

Five other coaches make up remaining 34 percent

Who is the most underrated coach in college football?

Coach Responses

1) David Shaw, Stanford 12 percent

1) Chris Petersen, Washington 12 percent

3) Dan Mullen, Florida 8 percent

3) Pat Fitzgerald, Northwestern 8 percent

3) Kyle Whittingham, Utah 8 percent

14 other coaches make up the remaining 52 percent

Breaking it down

Interestingly enough, three coaches -- David Shaw (Stanford), Tom Herman (Texas) and Kirk Ferentz (Iowa) -- received votes in both polls. As one would expect, the comments regarding the most underrated coaches were quite tame compared to those for those considered overrated by their peers.

Explain yourselves (overrated)
  • "James Franklin. His coaching peers know he is full of it."
  • "When [Franklin] got the Penn State job, I thought, 'Man, he's a good marketer.' He did a nice job with that. It'll be interesting without Saquon [Barkley]. He's underrated. He turns a lot of no[-gain] plays into 60-yard touchdowns."
  • "I'm probably a little jealous [of Lane Kiffin]. If you're born on third base, that's great, but don't think you hit a triple."

Link to Full Story: https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...ated-and-underrated-college-football-coaches/

Last edited:
Cheating? Probably, but that remains to be seen. However, he has a point about Bama showing up every game with a better roster then its opposition. Give Ferentz or just about any competent coach the number one recruiting class year after year and there playing for national championships. Maybe that explains why Saban stunk as an NFL coach since he couldn't every great player coming out of college.

Recruiting, including putting together a coaching staff who can recruit for you, is half of the job in college football. IMO, his recruiting results only bolster the argument for him being a top coach in the game.

That said, you have to wonder how many coaches would have won as many or more National Championships as Saban with those rosters he's had for the last decade.

As far as the cheating goes, Alabama certainly isn't the only school cheating. They're just, apparently, better than everybody else at that, too.

Power five coaches in football and basketball are as catty and two-faced as The Real Wives of X County. They're like a bunch of drunk, bored, entitled women when it comes to their dealings with other programs and coaches. Makes for great theater.

Recruiting, including putting together a coaching staff who can recruit for you, is half of the job in college football. IMO, his recruiting results only bolster the argument for him being a top coach in the game.

That said, you have to wonder how many coaches would have won as many or more National Championships as Saban with those rosters he's had for the last decade.

As far as the cheating goes, Alabama certainly isn't the only school cheating. They're just, apparently, better than everybody else at that, too.
People just refuse to expose them.

It's kinda like the fact that you hear about Iowa players getting into trouble with drinking.........and rarely anyone else.

Apparently, all other college football teams are better at avoiding the cops when they drink underage or drink and drive............

I honestly want to see statistics on that.

But back to the point, yeah you can say everyone cheats. Alabama cheats. Just f***ing pull the trigger and burn them for it, unless everyone can stomach them winning every year like it's not bad for college football.

Just sayin.

This sounds a little bit like saying "Wilt Chamberlain wouldn't have been all that special if he wasn't 7'1." So Alabama has the best recruiting classes. How? Have they always had the best recruiting classes? Alabama had not been dominant since Bear Bryant until Saban showed up. I don't doubt there is cheating going on there with recruiting but I haven't seen any evidence. Blindly accusing them is like accusing someone who has more wealth than you of being a criminal.

Power five coaches in football and basketball are as catty and two-faced as The Real Wives of X County. They're like a bunch of drunk, bored, entitled women when it comes to their dealings with other programs and coaches. Makes for great theater.

Agreed. The level of jealousy and pettiness in these comments is astounding. All coaches are underrated or overrated to an extend, based upon your perspective in looking at the program. I can see how a guy like Franklin at PSU would rub people the wrong way, but he fact is he won some games at Vanderbilt, a very tough place to win, and is winning a lot of games at Penn State. The fact that coaches like Shaw and KF are receiving votes on both the overrated and underrated lists shows how silly it is.

I realize that I’m in the minority on this topic, but I hate victim mentality. ONE coach out of 128 whines about argueably the best coach in college football history and that is a big part of what the article focuses on. Par for the course of journalism these days.

The unique formula in college football is - IF you can recruit AND coach, you will be a very good program. Problem is - very few programs have been able to put that formula together.

It always frustrates me when people say Ferentz can’t recruit to a high level at Iowa because of population, being in the Midwest, etc. Bill Callahan while at Nebraska proved you can recruit to that type of area - problem was he and his staff could not figure out a successful coaching formula. At Iowa, Kirk Ferentz has always maintained a great coaching staff, but historically below average recruiters.

Until somebody shows some evidence that Nick Saban is cheating and doing illegal activities, I will respect what he has accomplished.

I realize that I’m in the minority on this topic, but I hate victim mentality. ONE coach out of 128 whines about argueably the best coach in college football history and that is a big part of what the article focuses on. Par for the course of journalism these days.

The unique formula in college football is - IF you can recruit AND coach, you will be a very good program. Problem is - very few programs have been able to put that formula together.

It always frustrates me when people say Ferentz can’t recruit to a high level at Iowa because of population, being in the Midwest, etc. Bill Callahan while at Nebraska proved you can recruit to that type of area - problem was he and his staff could not figure out a successful coaching formula. At Iowa, Kirk Ferentz has always maintained a great coaching staff, but historically below average recruiters.

Until somebody shows some evidence that Nick Saban is cheating and doing illegal activities, I will respect what he has accomplished.
I do not think Iowa can't recruit to Iowa because the NFL pipeline shows otherwise, I think he and staff recruit "differently" because of it. I will say I think skill position is a bit tougher however.

Pretty good point about having the first 25 picks in every years draft- Saban is a good coach, but would I be surprised if he is cheating........not even one bit. You would have to be pretty dumb if you thought payments and such were only happening in NCAA- especially considering profits are 100x's more in football. Not saying that every program does this, but you can look at teams pulling in 5 stars every year and at least 1/2 of them are cheating (would bet more actually). I think with KF's recruiting in past 20 years....lets just hope there is a thorough investigation across the nation because I think we would be just fine LOL
And Sabin/his staff only need to keep the players academically eligible for 3 years (before they are eligible for the draft). I am sure there are all kinds of rules being bent & secret payments being made.

I think the anonymous thing is trash. If he's cheating and you have proof come forward. There's only two reasons why one wouldn't come forward. One he has no proof just assumptions or two that coach is also cheating and Saban is doing a better job at it. Don't get me wrong my ultimate Hawkeye dream is to have Iowa beat Alabama in the CFP and leave Saban redfaced and speechless, but this type of news is no different than grocery store tabloid stuff. Men play football, be a man come forward provide proof or otherwise focus on getting your team ready for the season.

Cheating? Probably, but that remains to be seen. However, he has a point about Bama showing up every game with a better roster then its opposition. Give Ferentz or just about any competent coach the number one recruiting class year after year and there playing for national championships. Maybe that explains why Saban stunk as an NFL coach since he couldn't every great player coming out of college.
Alabama always looks like an NFL team from a physicality standpoint.

The thing is that the kids don't have to sign with Bama or any other SEC that over signs.

If I were a highly recruited athlete, I would be watching to see how the recruiting class looked. Knowing how you fit in would be key. Then again, each recruit might be told a different story and feel the other recruits are just fill ins.

Does the SEC still encourage it's schools to over-sign their recruiting classes by 8-10 kids every year?

KF on the overrated list is just pure jealousy from his fellow coaches. Jealous that he doesn't have to go undefeated every year and that Iowa is patient enough to tolerate the 8 win seasons.

There is no doubt in my mind that Alabama is cheating on a monumental scale. You just don't win the recruiting battles they do in the SEC (where cheating at recruiting is a way of life) without being at minimum a little dirty. The reason nobody narcs Bama off is because everybody else down south is cheating just as bad. It's like MLB during the steroid era. It was obvious guys like Bonds and McGwire were roided out of their minds, yet their fellow players didn't rat them out because, A) they were roiding too, or B) you don't rat, ever, snitching is against the code. I think lots of cheating in recruiting goes on but any coach that steps out and talks about it will get ostracized and never land another job. The first rule of recruiting is don't talk about cheating.

KF on the overrated list is just pure jealousy from his fellow coaches. Jealous that he doesn't have to go undefeated every year and that Iowa is patient enough to tolerate the 8 win seasons.

There is no doubt in my mind that Alabama is cheating on a monumental scale. You just don't win the recruiting battles they do in the SEC (where cheating at recruiting is a way of life) without being at minimum a little dirty. The reason nobody narcs Bama off is because everybody else down south is cheating just as bad. It's like MLB during the steroid era. It was obvious guys like Bonds and McGwire were roided out of their minds, yet their fellow players didn't rat them out because, A) they were roiding too, or B) you don't rat, ever, snitching is against the code. I think lots of cheating in recruiting goes on but any coach that steps out and talks about it will get ostracized and never land another job. The first rule of recruiting is don't talk about cheating.
Yeah well the second rule of recruiting should be "f*** Bama, let's burn down their empire".

That's why....

I do not think Iowa can't recruit to Iowa because the NFL pipeline shows otherwise, I think he and staff recruit "differently" because of it. I will say I think skill position is a bit tougher however.
This exactly. Yes, Iowa is able to dig up some tough sob's with a chip on their shoulders and coach them up. This is why we're usually pretty solid on the lines, TE's, LB's. We're able to recruit decent RB's because of our history of running the ball, and as long as the OL is pretty good, we can move the ball on the ground. We've been able to hang in there with basically game manager QB's for the most part, and appear to making some headway there with the Beathard to Stanley to Petras progression. The area where we've been beyond the norm as far as skill players is at DB, so much credit goes to PP for the job he's done. Of course at WR it's been just the opposite, and hopefully we're headed in a positive direction there.

Reactions: cmhawks99

I find it funny you use Nebraska as an example without noticing, or at least being honest enough to acknowledge the big difference between the two programs. Being a blueblood program in the top 4 for wins is what keeps Nebraska right at the top 25 for recruiting. Iowa is far from that.

Hell, even a Wisconsin program who has been among the best over the last decade in college football is lucky to get into the recruiting top 30 lately (44th last year, 39th in 2017, 35th in 2016, etc). They have the entire state to themselves, a larger population base, and are slightly closer to Chicago than Iowa City. I really can't think of any recruiting advantages Iowa has over them to be honest.

Just ignoring that fact and stomping your feet that Iowa should be "recruiting at a high level" isn't going to change that. I'm honestly somewhat surprised you didn't include Oklahoma in your example along with Nebraska. They have about as much in common with Iowa as Nebraska does.

I find it funny you use Nebraska as an example without noticing, or at least being honest enough to acknowledge the big difference between the two programs. Being a blueblood program in the top 4 for wins is what keeps Nebraska right at the top 25 for recruiting. Iowa is far from that.

Hell, even a Wisconsin program who has been among the best over the last decade in college football is lucky to get into the recruiting top 30 lately (44th last year, 39th in 2017, 35th in 2016, etc). They have the entire state to themselves, a larger population base, and are slightly closer to Chicago than Iowa City. I really can't think of any recruiting advantages Iowa has over them to be honest.

Just ignoring that fact and stomping your feet that Iowa should be "recruiting at a high level" isn't going to change that. I'm honestly somewhat surprised you didn't include Oklahoma in your example along with Nebraska. They have about as much in common with Iowa as Nebraska does.
So how many years does a blue blood program need to be bad before they lose their “perception” advantage? Nebraska is on a 20 year below average run. Does it take 50 years, or will Nebraska always have a recruiting advantage over Iowa based on their past? I used Nebraska because even though they have been a top 25 recruiting school, Callahan took them to top 5 in recruiting. That is a big jump.

I didn’t use Wisconsin because the only conclusion you can come to in your example is that they are better at coaching than our staff based on getting no better recruits, but outperforming us most years.

Sorry for the higher expectations. I didn’t realize Iowa shouldn’t be mentioned in the same sentences as untouchable programs like Oklahoma and Nebraska. I will dial back my expectations and conform to our rightful spot in the college football hierarchy.

So how many years does a blue blood program need to be bad before they lose their “perception” advantage? Nebraska is on a 20 year below average run. Does it take 50 years, or will Nebraska always have a recruiting advantage over Iowa based on their past? I used Nebraska because even though they have been a top 25 recruiting school, Callahan took them to top 5 in recruiting. That is a big jump.

I didn’t use Wisconsin because the only conclusion you can come to in your example is that they are better at coaching than our staff based on getting no better recruits, but outperforming us most years.

Sorry for the higher expectations. I didn’t realize Iowa shouldn’t be mentioned in the same sentences as untouchable programs like Oklahoma and Nebraska. I will dial back my expectations and conform to our rightful spot in the college football hierarchy.
Please take my advice from my last response to you......

You're welcome.

The season can't kick off soon enough. Reading these lists are like trying to watch the Oscars, or any other award show where "actors" give each other awards.

1) I like ragging on Nebraska as much as the next person, but they are not on a below average run in the last 20 years. They’re averaging 9 wins a season in that timespan, with 14 9+ win seasons and 10 post season Top 25 finishes. That's far better than the majority of teams out there. We've had 6 top 25 finishes and 6 9+ win seasons for reference.

2) You might want to do the unsavory thing and admit that yes, Wisconsin might just have a better program and better coaching at this time. And you're incorrect on "getting no better recruits" - they are pulling in better recruits, not by much, but they have been slightly ahead of us. That is going to add up.

3)You can mention Iowa along with Oklahoma all you'd like, just realize people with a shred of perspective will call you on it. It's amazing how the same old teams are consistently at the top. If only the 100 other FBS teams had fans that wanted it as much as those 20 teams.

Last edited:
When your program is on top, like Bama, Ohio St the necessity to cheat in recruiting is minimized. And recruiting is at least 50% of coaching success. Of course it is much easier to recruit at the top profile schools.

From cbsSports.com:

Our CBS Sports college football writers spoke with one-fifth of the 129 active coaches leading FBS teams entering the 2018 season.

Under the condition of anonymity, we asked our coaching panel to speak out about their peers. Who is undeserving of all the praise they receive? Which coaches need to be talked about more? Let's take a look at their responses.

Who is the most overrated coach in college football?

Coach Responses

1) Willie Taggart, Florida State 20 percent

1) James Franklin, Penn State 20 percent

3) Kirk Ferentz, Iowa 13 percent

3) Lane Kiffin, FAU 13 percent

Five other coaches make up remaining 34 percent

Who is the most underrated coach in college football?

Coach Responses

1) David Shaw, Stanford 12 percent

1) Chris Petersen, Washington 12 percent

3) Dan Mullen, Florida 8 percent

3) Pat Fitzgerald, Northwestern 8 percent

3) Kyle Whittingham, Utah 8 percent

14 other coaches make up the remaining 52 percent

Breaking it down

Interestingly enough, three coaches -- David Shaw (Stanford), Tom Herman (Texas) and Kirk Ferentz (Iowa) -- received votes in both polls. As one would expect, the comments regarding the most underrated coaches were quite tame compared to those for those considered overrated by their peers.

Explain yourselves (overrated)
  • "James Franklin. His coaching peers know he is full of it."
  • "When [Franklin] got the Penn State job, I thought, 'Man, he's a good marketer.' He did a nice job with that. It'll be interesting without Saquon [Barkley]. He's underrated. He turns a lot of no[-gain] plays into 60-yard touchdowns."
  • "I'm probably a little jealous [of Lane Kiffin]. If you're born on third base, that's great, but don't think you hit a triple."

Link to Full Story: https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...ated-and-underrated-college-football-coaches/

Hmmm. As KF's comp drops in comparison to so many others, I thought this would go away. I guess what they are saying, is that Iowa should be better than the have been the last couple of decades? IDK.

1) I like ragging on Nebraska as much as the next person, but they are not on a below average run in the last 20 years. Their averaging 9 wins a season in that timespan, with 14 9+ win seasons and 10 post season Top 25 finishes. That's far better than the majority of teams out there. We've had 6 top 25 finishes and 6 9+ win seasons for reference.

2) You might want to do the unsavory thing and admit that yes, Wisconsin might just have a better program and better coaching at this time. And you're incorrect on "getting no better recruits" - they are pulling in better recruits, not by much, but they have been slightly ahead of us. That is going to add up.

3)You can mention Iowa along with Oklahoma all you'd like, just realize people with a shred of perspective will call you on it. It's amazing how the same old teams are consistently at the top. If only the 100 other FBS teams had fans that wanted it as much as those 20 teams.

Ironically, those programs are where they are because their fans and especially their administrations expect more. I have enjoyed Nebraska's struggles as much as the next person but it is inevitable they will find a winning combination again because they won't stop until they do. They will spend whatever it takes to make that happen. Oregon was nothing special until Phil Knight threw massive loads of Nike money their way.
I support KF. He is an honorable person who has represented the state well for 20 years. I will always wonder, though, what Iowa's won/lost totals would be with better recruiting.

1) I like ragging on Nebraska as much as the next person, but they are not on a below average run in the last 20 years. Their averaging 9 wins a season in that timespan, with 14 9+ win seasons and 10 post season Top 25 finishes. That's far better than the majority of teams out there. We've had 6 top 25 finishes and 6 9+ win seasons for reference.

I have to admit - I had not researched Nebraska’s past 20 years as you shared. I’ve gotten caught up in the past few years. I can’t argue with any of your points - especially #3. Wish we had higher expectations.

Peace out!

Reactions: NorthDSMHawk
I have to admit - I had not researched Nebraska’s past 20 years as you shared. I’ve gotten caught up in the past few years. I can’t argue with any of your points - especially #3. Wish we had higher expectations.

Peace out!
We can all agree they suck though. Especially their fans that post here.

Reactions: Hock-I
Hmmm. As KF's comp drops in comparison to so many others, I thought this would go away. I guess what they are saying, is that Iowa should be better than the have been the last couple of decades? IDK.
Here is the math:

CBS spoke with one-fifth of the 129 active coaches, which is 26 coaches.

13% said KF was overrated, which means 3 of the 26 called him overrated.

I guess those 3 coaches think he makes too much for the 7.5 wins he achieves each year.

But also note that at least 1 coach said KF was underrated (does more with less?), so there are a lot of opinions out there. I am sure there is jealousy out there, too, because Iowa, for whatever reason, has not fired a football head coach over the last 40 years (!!!) after a bad/average stretch.

Last edited:
At Iowa, Kirk Ferentz has always maintained a great coaching staff, but historically below average recruiters

The only fair comparison when it comes to recruiting, is to compare KF and staff to another staff that Iowa "could" have. It's absurd to compare Iowa's recruiting to other schools, because every school is different. So, the question is, could Iowa put together a staff that recruits better than this one? Maybe ... but I'm not sure.

I'm happy to say in a few years when Bama play's Georgia the Bulldogs will have the better roster. Between last year and this year they'll have something like seven 5 star recruits and most of the rest are solid 4 star.

Reactions: Franisdaman
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT