ADVERTISEMENT

Another Article about Hawks

There is a lot of turmoil in college football already this season and the B1G West is a big part of that. Not a time for emotional decision making. Gotta play the long, patient game which no one enjoys but it can pay big dividends.

KF is still the coach next year and assume BF is still OC. Plan on Spencer coming back for his COVID year too. So knowing those pieces are the same, what can you change?

O-Line. Decision needs to be made during the bye-week if strength & conditioning are on track (they are young guys). If not, start there. I have a feeling the weight room is still doing Doyle type things and they should expect Doyle type growth. If it is not, that should be the first immediate change.

Then, revisit Barnett and O-Line coaching. Is the zone scheme going to be the scheme of the future? Seems like they are mixing man over the last few weeks. I think a they need to commit to one or the other. If zone, is Barnett the guy to teach it? Can’t be afraid to make a coaching change here. A change here can be seen as an effort to improve without showing signs of a program in turmoil. I think the biggest question here is did Tim Polasek leave the position better than he found it? Answer could be a big no and then they have to decide to if Barnett is the guy to rebuild it? Rebuild = multiple years.

Immediate reevaluation of the O-Line and then make changes immediately. Utilize the transfer portal to grab a few guys to plug some holes and get depth. Use the tool while it is available to us. There has to be a few good men worth a look at. We will have a lot of juniors next year but one experienced senior at guard could help a ton on and off the field. Proctor won’t be ready for prime time for awhile. We also have a stable of good backs who just need some holes to hit.

Write-off the 2022 season, realize the few changes that are realistic and make the next 46 weeks a commitment to dramatically improve the O-Line. Make it public and official so we all understand what the YoY growth will be measured against. Then, let the 2023 season judge if the Ferentz’s can run a decent offense through SP. I really would like to see what SP can do under less pressure.

Most will hate this but as I get older, I have more patience. We cannot let the program have revolving doors. They must be made of steel. Stability is one of the key attributes keeping Iowa Football relevant in the 21st century.

Reactions: THE_DEVIL
The national media has gone from looking at us as a joke, to being just as frustrated and incredulous as the vast majority of the fans are.
Kirk sees how awesome Petras is every day in practice

CF8-E5080-08-F7-4-A98-9124-1-CCBADC341-B4.jpg

There is a lot of turmoil in college football already this season and the B1G West is a big part of that. Not a time for emotional decision making. Gotta play the long, patient game which no one enjoys but it can pay big dividends.

KF is still the coach next year and assume BF is still OC. Plan on Spencer coming back for his COVID year too. So knowing those pieces are the same, what can you change?

O-Line. Decision needs to be made during the bye-week if strength & conditioning are on track (they are young guys). If not, start there. I have a feeling the weight room is still doing Doyle type things and they should expect Doyle type growth. If it is not, that should be the first immediate change.

Then, revisit Barnett and O-Line coaching. Is the zone scheme going to be the scheme of the future? Seems like they are mixing man over the last few weeks. I think a they need to commit to one or the other. If zone, is Barnett the guy to teach it? Can’t be afraid to make a coaching change here. A change here can be seen as an effort to improve without showing signs of a program in turmoil. I think the biggest question here is did Tim Polasek leave the position better than he found it? Answer could be a big no and then they have to decide to if Barnett is the guy to rebuild it? Rebuild = multiple years.

Immediate reevaluation of the O-Line and then make changes immediately. Utilize the transfer portal to grab a few guys to plug some holes and get depth. We will have a lot of juniors next year but one experienced senior at guard could help a ton on and off the field. Proctor won’t be ready for prime time for awhile. We also have a stable of good backs who just need some holes hit.

Write-off the 2022 season, realize the few changes that are realistic and make the next 46 weeks a commitment to dramatically improve the O-Line. Make it public and official. Then, let the 2023 season judge if the Ferentz’s can run a decent offense through SP.

Most will hate this but as I get older, I have more patience. We cannot let the program have revolving doors. They must be made of steel. Stability is one of the key attributes keeping Iowa Football relevant in the 21st century.
This is why nothing ever changes. Scared of failure.

Immediate reevaluation of the O-Line and then make changes immediately. Utilize the transfer portal to grab a few guys to plug some holes and get depth. Use the tool while it is available to us. There has to be a few good men worth a look at. We will have a lot of juniors next year but one experienced senior at guard could help a ton on and off the field. Proctor won’t be ready for prime time for awhile. We also have a stable of good backs who just need some holes to hit.

Write-off the 2022 season, realize the few changes that are realistic and make the next 46 weeks a commitment to dramatically improve the O-Line. Make it public and official so we all understand what the YoY growth will be measured against. Then, let the 2023 season judge if the Ferentz’s can run a decent offense through SP. I really would like to see what SP can do under less pressure.

New flash: Iowa football is not relevant, and hasn’t been for quite some time.

New flash: Iowa football is not relevant, and hasn’t been for quite some time.
We are a top 25 program this decade in most areas of program measurement:
-Most importantly revenue
-Attendance
-Wins

Just because the talking heads don’t shout our name from the rooftops every Saturday morning, doesn’t mean we are not relevant. Most other big time coaches respect Ferentz and Barta has a seat at the table for CFP/Playoff discussions. We’re in a good position. I’d hate to be Texas, USC, Nebraska over the last 5-15 years. All blue bloods who caved to the public panic.

Reactions: RLMHAWK

The ferentz’s will both probably be back. Unless, brian wants to resurrect his career and moves on. But no way in H E double hockey sticks will Petras be back for a covid year. I think he has the smarts to know that it’s time to move on.

-Attendance
-Wins

Just because the talking heads don’t shout our name from the rooftops every Saturday morning, doesn’t mean we are not relevant. Most other big time coaches respect Ferentz and Barta has a seat at the table for CFP/Playoff discussions. We’re in a good position. I’d hate to be Texas, USC, Nebraska over the last 5-15 years. All blue bloods who caved to the public panic.
You’re impressively delusional if you think all of that equals relevant. Performance on the field is relevancy, plain and simple. Iowa has not been a serious contender ever and never will with the current regime. Most of what you just described are byproducts of being associated with the Big Ten and have nothing to do with Iowa’s football relevancy. The majority of those wins are a farce of playing in one of the weakest divisions in the power five. A top 25 average (which doesn’t even equal to competing for your own conference championship) should not be the goal, but I guess we have significantly different expectations.

Ask yourself one question to determine relevancy: when is the last time Iowa won a conference championship? The answer should piss you off when you realize you’ve had the same coach the entire time.

Last edited:
You’re impressively delusional if you think all of that equals relevant. Performance on the field is relevancy, plain and simple. Iowa has not been a serious contender ever and never will with the current regime. Most of what you just described are byproducts of being associated with the Big Ten and have nothing to do with Iowa’s football relevancy. The majority of those wins are a farce of playing in one of the weakest divisions in the power five. A top 25 average (which doesn’t even equal to competing for your own conference championship) should not be goal, but I guess we have significantly different expectations.
Do you think Iowa was relevant under Hayden Fry? Because Ferentz has accomplished just as much with this program as his predecessor.

Reactions: PNW_Hawk

Brian can absolutely not remain on as Iowa's OC in 2023. It simply wouldn't make sense in any way, shape, or form if this program actually wants to stop being the laughing stock of college football.

If Brian gets another year, there needs to be a nepotism lawsuit filed by someone LOL. But seriously, it's not funny. A lawsuit should be filed if at all possible.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
Do you think Iowa was relevant under Hayden Fry? Because Ferentz has accomplished just as much with this program as his predecessor.
Relevancy is a fluid thing, so you’re really asking if he maintained more relevancy throughout his coaching career? No, I would say he sustained roughly the same relevancy, both have been fringe top 25 teams on average.

The ferentz’s will both probably be back. Unless, brian wants to resurrect his career and moves on. But no way in H E double hockey sticks will Petras be back for a covid year. I think he has the smarts to know that it’s time to move on.
Always expect the worst! Kirk, Brian & Spencer will be back next season!

The rest of the college football world demands super quick, dramatic change. We don’t have to be like that. I’m just advocating for slow, non-emotional, strategic change. It takes patience.
This mindset is exactly why Iowa is always behind in recruiting, Offensive formations, NIL, and pretty much anything relevant in CFB. Again the only that has saved KF’s tenure is his incredibly weak schedules that prop up his win totals every year.

You’re impressively delusional if you think all of that equals relevant. Performance on the field is relevancy, plain and simple. Iowa has not been a serious contender ever and never will with the current regime. Most of what you just described are byproducts of being associated with the Big Ten and have nothing to do with Iowa’s football relevancy. The majority of those wins are a farce of playing in one of the weakest divisions in the power five. A top 25 average (which doesn’t even equal to competing for your own conference championship) should not be the goal, but I guess we have significantly different expectations.
Depends on which bubble you are living in. Outside of the space between Lake Michigan and the Missouri River, no one is talking about Iowa Football.

Last year when we won ten games, no one outside of that same space was talking about Iowa Football. It’s a matter of market size, we will never have the span of a Michigan or the lore of Alabama.

Who cares what the average fan or talking head on TV thinks. Sure, a few of them are laughing at Iowa but no other coach or AD is laughing at Iowa. We are still an important piece in a very, very important conference.

Stay calm.

• Haha
Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
Depends on which bubble you are living in. Outside of the space between Lake Michigan and the Missouri River, no one is talking about Iowa Football.

Last year when we won ten games, no one outside of that same space was talking about Iowa Football. It’s a matter of market size, we will never have the span of a Michigan or the lore of Alabama.

Who cares what the average fan or talking head on TV thinks. Sure, a few of them are laughing at Iowa but no other coach or AD is laughing at Iowa. We are still an important piece in a very, very important conference.

Stay calm.
Revisit my post again, we are not relevant here’s how I know it: when is the last time we won our conference championship? Keep in mind, KF states every year is the team’s goal.

So how do we have the same coach for this many years without a conference championship, which is the coach’s own benchmark of success?

The rest of the college football world demands super quick, dramatic change. We don’t have to be like that. I’m just advocating for slow, non-emotional, strategic change. It takes patience.
You mean that 5 years usn't enough patience already?

Revisit my post again, we are not relevant here’s how I know it: when is the last time we won our conference championship? Keep in mind, KF states every year is the team’s goal.

So how do we have the same coach for this many years without a conference championship, which is the coach’s own benchmark of success?
LOL using this logic and measuring stick there are only like 10 relevant teams in CFB.

Conference champions for the last 5 years..

SEC: Bama and Georgia
Big Ten: tOSU and Michigan
Pac-12: Washington, Oregon, Utah
Big 12: Oklahoma and Baylor
ACC: Clemson and Pitt (lol)

Are you seriously saying these are the only "relevant" teams in college football? We get it, you are upset with where Iowa is at and are tired of KF and his resistance to change, but give it a break. You continuing to prove that Iowa isn't relevant in college football, which is wrong, just makes you look like an emotional idiot.

Reactions: jthawk
If Iowa football wasn't relevant the national media wouldn't be talking about our offense. Iowa is a top-25 program that is going through a very embarrassing stretch of games but to say Iowa football is not relevant is just dumb.
Alright I guess we’re relevant because you say so, haha. Sorry to burst your bubble but no one cares that Iowa is struggling, this is not breaking news.

Stay calm.
Don't think that statement is accurate at all. Iowa offense is a national CFB joke.

LOL using this logic and measuring stick there are only like 10 relevant teams in CFB.

Are you seriously saying these are the only "relevant" teams in college football?
How many of them have had the same coach for over 20 years?

If Iowa football wasn't relevant the national media wouldn't be talking about our offense. Iowa is a top-25 program that is going through a very embarrassing stretch of games but to say Iowa football is not relevant is just dumb.
We aren't relevant. Everyone is talking about us because it is truly unbelievable how pathetic we are, and how glaring the nepotism is. Nothing positive is being said, we are being made fun of when talked about.

Are you seriously saying these are the only "relevant" teams in college football?
Well how about if we go back 18 years, which is exactly how long it’s been since Iowa even shared a conference title? Yes, I think that’s an excellent place to start when looking at relevancy in CFB. Conversely, are you telling me winning championships is irrelevant? Only an Iowa fan would argue this in defense of KF 😂.

As loyal as Kirk has been to Spencer, it makes a guy wonder if he'll welcome him back for his covid year?

-Attendance
-Wins

I wouldn't say those programs caved to public panic. They don't settle for shit results, they're trying to remain relevant, unlike Iowa. Texas and USC are looking up, and USC will regularly kick our ass when we play them in the future. Nebraska will probably beat us by the time we play them.

ADVERTISEMENT