ADVERTISEMENT

Another Article about Hawks

Again, that has absolutely NOTHING to do with Iowa football being relevant.
You brought it up weirdo, and you’re right, Iowa is still not relevant because of it. You’re remarkably committed to this fallacy you made up in your head.

Lol no, I am pointing out that when relevant programs, like Iowa, go through stretches like Iowa is going through, the national media is going to write about it.

See Michigan State in 2020 (#117 ranked offense) or Tennessee in 2019 (#121 ranked offense). The national media spoke extensively about their inept offensives, you just weren't paying as close of attention as you do with Iowa.

Oh, and guess what, neither of those team's head coaches had their kid coaching offense.
Fair enough, but relevancy is, well, “relevant” here.

You brought it up weirdo, and you’re right, Iowa is still not relevant because of it. You’re remarkably committed to this fallacy you made up in your head.
1. See my last response to Thunderlips71; not going to waste my time typing it out again for you
2. What a facepalm comment by you after the things you've said in this thread lol.

Have a good day, man.

Reactions: RLMHAWK
You must have missed where I said I 100% agreed with @BlackNGoldBleeder's comment saying, "The bottom line is the Iowa brand is stale, boring, and miserable to watch. Change is needed"

I don't think you understand how stupid you're making yourself look in this thread. You're telling strangers on an internet message board that they don't understand true success and relevancy when you're simply going off your own subjective, idiotic definition of what makes a program relevant.

You're acting as arrogant and naive as KF is right now lol.
So sad your little feelings of KF are hurt. Iowa is still irrelevant and you’re still wrong lol.

Reactions: radicalhawk
1. See my last response to Thunderlips71; not going to waste my time typing it out again for you
2. What a facepalm comment by you after the things you've said in this thread lol.

Have a good day, man.
Incredibly dense brain you have, reread the comments to see where you’re still not connecting the dots.

This is why nothing ever changes. Scared of failure.
That's the excuse. You are correct. But "scared of failure" is not only an ignorant philosophical position, Iowa has already failed, so how can they be scared of what has already happened? I mean Iowa is--at the halfway point of the season--still literally the worst offense in D1 football. That is the definition of failure. So again, what is there to fear but, as FDR said, "fear itself"?

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
The rest of the college football world demands super quick, dramatic change. We don’t have to be like that. I’m just advocating for slow, non-emotional, strategic change. It takes patience.
Nothing about a change in OC or HC at the end of this season could possibly be connected to a "super quick, dramatic change" of events. Even a mid-season OC move (Now) would be damn appropriate.

You're a madman for wanting an even SLOWER process with this program.

Depends on which bubble you are living in. Outside of the space between Lake Michigan and the Missouri River, no one is talking about Iowa Football.

Last year when we won ten games, no one outside of that same space was talking about Iowa Football. It’s a matter of market size, we will never have the span of a Michigan or the lore of Alabama.

Who cares what the average fan or talking head on TV thinks. Sure, a few of them are laughing at Iowa but no other coach or AD is laughing at Iowa. We are still an important piece in a very, very important conference.

Stay calm.
Sorry, Lucious, but this is all I see when I read your post:

tenor.gif

Reactions: LuciousBDragon
Brian can absolutely not remain on as Iowa's OC in 2023. It simply wouldn't make sense in any way, shape, or form if this program actually wants to stop being the laughing stock of college football.

If Brian gets another year, there needs to be a nepotism lawsuit filed by someone LOL. But seriously, it's not funny. A lawsuit should be filed if at all possible.
This is my speculation but I don't think any of those black players really wanted to speak out or file a lawsuit about racial bias but the frustration boiled over in 2020. I think as fans we are getting to a point of frustration with the nepotism that it is similarly starting to boil over. If Gary and Kirk can't do the right thing on their own (and so far they have clearly demonstrated they cannot) then someone needs to force their hand

Unfortunately, we just dont have the horses at OL and my gawd, our receiver room is turible. How many mediocre walk ons can one team claim as their WR's? We had zero margin for error with Johnson, Bruce, Jones and Ragaini. Jones is obviously gone, Ragaini hurt early and now Johnson hurt. We lost a few past WR recruits to transfer, but always seems like a position that is under recruited given its importance in today's game.

QB is a whole other story and am assuming this is one of our worst units top to bottom ever? I mean Kirk HAS made changes in the past, albeit rare, and I would give someone else the keys to see if they can generate anything. But to have zero confidence in anyone besides Petras speaks volumes to our recruiting/depth. We should always have a running QB somewhere on the team, even to run some goal line plays or something. I realize top end dual threat QB's dont grow on trees but we should absolutely have a dual threat guy. Could they be much less accurate than Petras?

Changing scheme is our only real lever at this point, and we all know that will not change. Its how teams with a little less talent can win or at least have a chance to win.
all valid points surprised no one has brought them up 🙄

The Big Ten postgame show was beyond exasperated when discussing Iowa Saturday night.
I missed it, but I did see where Howard G (who I really like) was just shaking his head a few weeks back and had no words for just how bad our offense/QB/OL were......

Unfortunately, we just dont have the horses at OL and my gawd, our receiver room is turible. How many mediocre walk ons can one team claim as their WR's? We had zero margin for error with Johnson, Bruce, Jones and Ragaini. Jones is obviously gone, Ragaini hurt early and now Johnson hurt. We lost a few past WR recruits to transfer, but always seems like a position that is under recruited given its importance in today's game.

QB is a whole other story and am assuming this is one of our worst units top to bottom ever? I mean Kirk HAS made changes in the past, albeit rare, and I would give someone else the keys to see if they can generate anything. But to have zero confidence in anyone besides Petras speaks volumes to our recruiting/depth. We should always have a running QB somewhere on the team, even to run some goal line plays or something. I realize top end dual threat QB's dont grow on trees but we should absolutely have a dual threat guy. Could they be much less accurate than Petras?

Changing scheme is our only real lever at this point, and we all know that will not change. Its how teams with a little less talent can win or at least have a chance to win.
spot on post....

Relevancy is a fluid thing, so you’re really asking if he maintained more relevancy throughout his coaching career? No, I would say he sustained roughly the same relevancy, both have been fringe top 25 teams on average.
I tend to agree with your thinking (though no need to get so nasty with those that disagree) and when it comes to the national stage, we are on average "borderline" relevant. Within the B1G, we generally have been solid Tier 2, though to your point,playing in the West has helped. We have had some peaks and valleys, some of the publicity positive, sometimes negative.

Positives/Relevancy Boosters:
Brad Banks Runner Up Heisman
2002 Season
2004 Season
2009 Season
2015 Season
2021 Season (though probably net negative given stomping we took)
Consistently Over Delivering on NFL Talent/1st round
picks
Strong TE Dev/Performance (Clark, Moeaki, Kittle, Fant, CJF, Hockensen, etc.)
The Wave
Consistently "Good" (e.g. 7ish wins on average) - keeps us above water

Negatives/Detractors:
Old School Scheme
Limited Big Plays/High Octane Passing
Limited Skill Player Success NFL
Known for Defense not Offense
2022 Offense
Rhabo Issue
Cultural/Racial Issue - Doyle
State of Iowa - Less Sophisticated and Known for Corn
Not Flashy/Sexy
Rarely recruit high profile "Top 100" type players, especially skill guys
Lack of "Big" years (In Championship hunt, College Playoff, etc.) - keeps us from breaking through
Play "Not to Lose" vs "Play to Win" - this hurting us more and more each year as game changes

There is a lot of turmoil in college football already this season and the B1G West is a big part of that. Not a time for emotional decision making. Gotta play the long, patient game which no one enjoys but it can pay big dividends.

KF is still the coach next year and assume BF is still OC. Plan on Spencer coming back for his COVID year too. So knowing those pieces are the same, what can you change?

O-Line. Decision needs to be made during the bye-week if strength & conditioning are on track (they are young guys). If not, start there. I have a feeling the weight room is still doing Doyle type things and they should expect Doyle type growth. If it is not, that should be the first immediate change.

Then, revisit Barnett and O-Line coaching. Is the zone scheme going to be the scheme of the future? Seems like they are mixing man over the last few weeks. I think a they need to commit to one or the other. If zone, is Barnett the guy to teach it? Can’t be afraid to make a coaching change here. A change here can be seen as an effort to improve without showing signs of a program in turmoil. I think the biggest question here is did Tim Polasek leave the position better than he found it? Answer could be a big no and then they have to decide to if Barnett is the guy to rebuild it? Rebuild = multiple years.

Immediate reevaluation of the O-Line and then make changes immediately. Utilize the transfer portal to grab a few guys to plug some holes and get depth. Use the tool while it is available to us. There has to be a few good men worth a look at. We will have a lot of juniors next year but one experienced senior at guard could help a ton on and off the field. Proctor won’t be ready for prime time for awhile. We also have a stable of good backs who just need some holes to hit.

Write-off the 2022 season, realize the few changes that are realistic and make the next 46 weeks a commitment to dramatically improve the O-Line. Make it public and official so we all understand what the YoY growth will be measured against. Then, let the 2023 season judge if the Ferentz’s can run a decent offense through SP. I really would like to see what SP can do under less pressure.

Most will hate this but as I get older, I have more patience. We cannot let the program have revolving doors. They must be made of steel. Stability is one of the key attributes keeping Iowa Football relevant in the 21st century.
Petras cannot be the QB next year. Must have a mobile QB like EVERY top 25 team in the country has. Miss a block, QB escapes and makes a positive play every other college game you watch. Must happen for Iowa, period.

My question's are, does Spencer's parents have something on Kirk, that Spencer has been basically untouchable the last 3 plus years at Iowa?
This is a college quarterback that has improved very little from year to year and is as immobile as a 300 pound offensive lineman and what did Kirk promise the Petras's family to get Spencer to comment to Iowa? That appears the only possible reasons that Ferentz continues to prance Spencer out on the field every single week without any accountability!
It's a shame too, Iowa has had an elite defense the past year and a half and Kirk has pissed it away to play this unperforming quarterback.

"This was the latest example of what has become one of the weekly laughingstocks in college football. The Hawkeyes finished No. 121 in total offense in 2021, and the only change Ferentz made in the offseason was to keep his son Brian in place as offensive coordinator and also give him the title of quarterbacks coach.

It’s a complete embarrassment for a proud program that has won a lot of games, yet Ferentz refuses to make changes to his coaching staff that he’s directly responsible for. If it’s too difficult for Ferentz to at least demote his son, it speaks volumes about what a poor hire it was in the first place."

Kirk doesn't care what the media says, as his comeback at the reporter after the game asking if changes will be made says it all(we won 10 games last year), but a pretty straight forward quick piece.

ADVERTISEMENT