ADVERTISEMENT

Another Clapton Article

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Very long one in the Washington Post:

Robert Cray was stunned when he first heard “Stand and Deliver.” Eric Clapton, his onetime musical hero, who became a mentor and friend, had released his first protest song in 56 years of recording. Only it wasn’t about George Floyd or global warming. Clapton’s midtempo shuffle, a collaboration with Van Morrison released in December, went full anti-lockdown, taking aim at the government for trying to control a global pandemic by temporarily shuttering restaurants, gyms and concert halls.
What grabbed Cray’s attention was the second verse.
Do you wanna be a free man
Or do you wanna be a slave?
Do you wanna be a free man
Or do you wanna be a slave?
Do you wanna wear these chains
Until you’re lying in the grave?

Cray — one of the great blues guitarists of his generation, a five-time Grammy winner and Black man born in segregated Georgia — emailed Clapton immediately. Was the 76-year-old guitar great comfortable singing Morrison’s words, which compared the lockdown to slavery?
ADVERTISING
“His reaction back to me was that he was referring to slaves from, you know, England from way back,” Cray says.
That didn’t satisfy Cray. Neither did their next email exchange. Then Cray stopped replying altogether. The next time he wrote was weeks later to politely inform Clapton that he couldn’t, in good conscience, open for him as planned on an upcoming tour.
After that, Cray watched as Clapton released two more lockdown songs, conducted a lengthy interview with vaccine skeptics, and pledged to perform only where fans would not be required to be vaccinated, or, as Clapton said in a statement, not “where there is a discriminated audience present.”
After a September show in Austin, Clapton posed backstage with Texas Gov. Greg Abbott. Abbott had recently signed the country’s most restrictive abortion law and a Republican-backed measure to limit who can vote in the state. Like that, a 35-year friendship was over.
“There’s this great photo [from 2013] at Madison Square Garden after the show, with B.B. King sitting in a chair, Jimmie Vaughan, myself and Eric sitting behind him,” Cray says. “And I looked at that picture of Gov. Abbott, Jimmie Vaughan and Eric Clapton in that similar pose, and I’m going, what’s wrong with this picture? Why are you doing this?”
Eric Clapton, left, Jimmie Vaughan and Robert Cray pose with B.B. King backstage during at Madison Square Garden in New York in 2013. (Kevin Mazur/WireImage/Getty Images )
Many of Clapton’s friends and fans are asking that same question. Before the pandemic, the guitarist and singer was one of rock’s elder untouchables, a multigenerational hitmaker with the same draw and standing as Billy Joel, James Taylor and Elton John. His 1992 album, “Unplugged,” remains the best-selling live release ever, with over 25 million copies sold. He is the only artist inducted three different times into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
In an increasingly polarized world, Clapton stayed out of politics. He was never one to pop up at rallies or marches. So it’s been more than a departure to hear him questioning scientists on anti-vaccine websites.
“I’ve talked to other musicians, old friends of mine, these great players who, you know, will remain nameless in our conversation, who say, ‘What the f--- is he doing?’” says producer Russ Titelman, whose credits include “Unplugged” and a new Clapton album that arrives this month, “Lady in the Balcony: Lockdown Sessions.”
“He’s the anti-Bono,” says Bill Oakes, who managed Clapton’s label throughout the 1970s. “He is the epitome of someone who is there for the music, and he’s never rubbed shoulders with world leaders and never wanted to.”
Interviews with more than 20 musicians and acquaintances who have known Clapton over the years, from his days in the Yardbirds to his most recent concerts in September, shed light on why he may have thrust himself into the covid debate. Among friends and collaborators, there’s hope that Clapton can repair the damage he’s done to his reputation. But their frustration is apparent.
“Nobody I’ve talked to that knows Eric has an answer,” says drummer Jim Keltner, who has known Clapton for 51 years. “We’re all in the same boat. We’re all going, ‘I can’t figure it out.’ ”
Earlier this year, when he heard Clapton complaining that his friends were abandoning him, Keltner wrote to tell him that many of them were just confused.
“It’s something that he brought upon himself,” Keltner says. “And so I’ve been hoping and praying really, that he can figure out a way to, I don’t say get out of it, but to make it go away somehow so that it doesn’t ultimately interfere with the music.”
It’s unclear how much Clapton cares about the criticism. He declined multiple interview requests for this article, and his business manager, Michael Eaton, explained that decision in an email to The Washington Post. Eaton wrote that “given the depressingly bad standard of journalism reflected in certain recent articles, Eric Clapton has no desire at the moment to engage with the US Press. Anyone in the public eye has to expect and accept negative comment, but it should be balanced.”
Jimmie Vaughan, left, Texas Gov. Greg Abbott and Clapton backstage in Austin. (@GregAbbott_TX/Twitter )
Eaton did clarify that Clapton’s photo with Abbott should not be interpreted as him supporting a ban on abortion, noting that “he is a great believer in freedom of choice which drives his position on vaccinations, and his views on other matters would reflect that belief in freedom of choice.”
Clapton’s general silence has left people to interpret his views through infrequent short statements, his anti-lockdown songs and a 24-minute video interview posted in June.
In the interview, Clapton talks about how he’s been attacked since he released “Stand and Deliver.”
“The minute I began to say anything about the lockdown, I was labeled as a Trump supporter in America,” he said.
He called Morrison “fearless” and mentioned that he tried to reach out to his own musician friends, “but I don’t hear from anyone. My phone doesn’t ring very often. I don’t get that many texts and emails anymore. It’s quite noticeable.”
Bassist Nathan East, who remains loyal to Clapton after decades in his band and is one of the performers on “Lady in the Balcony,” said that his wife and manager urged him to talk only if he could avoid discussing politics.
“I’ve done interviews for the last 40 years, but I think this is the most volatile position that we’ve seen from the press standpoint,” East says. “For me, the beauty of music is that it really transcends language, color and politics.”
Eric Clapton, center, plays with Derek and the Dominos at the Lyceum Theatre in London in 1970. (Koh Hasebe/Shinko Music/Getty Images)
For most of Clapton’s career, that’s been true.
He emerged in 1963 as the neck-tied, Telecaster-playing lead guitarist of the blues-inspired Yardbirds. Before long, as legend had it, spray-painted messages began appearing around London with a simple message: “Clapton is God.” When Clapton felt the Yardbirds started moving in too commercial a direction, he quit.
He joined John Mayall’s Bluesbreakers, pledging blues purity, then exited for Cream, growing an Afro and plugging in a wah-wah pedal. He formed and quit a British supergroup, Blind Faith, and then turned to Southern soul, touring as a member of Delaney & Bonnie. Obsessed with the organic sound of the Band, Clapton next formed Derek and the Dominos. They lasted for one critically acclaimed album.
“A chameleon in every way, not just in his appearance and reshaping himself and redoing his persona and taking his music to another place,” says keyboardist and singer Bobby Whitlock, who wrote or co-wrote seven songs on the lone Derek and the Dominos album from 1970.
This was the era of politically conscious pop music, from Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young’s “Ohio” to Marvin Gaye’s “What’s Going On.” But Clapton’s worldview didn’t extend beyond his fretboard.
He really had only one cause at the time: Wooing Pattie Boyd, a model who just happened to be married to his best friend, former Beatle George Harrison. “Layla,” the centerpiece of the Derek and the Dominos record, would be a plaintive plea for her love and remains a staple of Clapton’s concert repertoire.
“There’s an obsessive part, the same thing that made him really sit down and learn to play the guitar the way he did,” says Chris O’Dell, who served as an assistant for Harrison and then Clapton during that era. “He went after Pattie maybe the same way. Maybe obsessed is the wrong word, but you’re mono focused. You have only one thing in your mind, and that’s all you can really concentrate on.”
Eric Clapton and Pattie Boyd circa 1975. (Graham Wiltshire/Redferns/Getty Images)
Eric Clapton, like so many, had a plan for 2020. He intended to do his semiregular residency at London’s Royal Albert Hall and record the performances. Then the lockdown struck, and the shows were canceled.
“Which from a selfish point of view is devastating because I’m of an age where I don’t know how long my faculties will go on,” Clapton said in the June interview.
Around that time, Clapton signed on for a Zoom chat with Jamie Oldaker, the Tulsa-based drummer who played on eight of his albums starting with 1974’s “461 Ocean Boulevard.” Oldaker had cancer; he would die in July. Richard Feldman, a mutual friend who co-wrote Clapton’s 1978 hit, “Promises,” was also on the call.

**** the idiots that can't deal with someone else's stupid political opinions.

Those people are emotional idiots and you shouldn't waste time trying to appease them.

If I were Clapton I'd tell them to suck my dick.

It’s crazy to think there are people that might have different opinions than the guy in article

he’s still freaking Clapton, even if the drugs and tragedy might have fried his brain
I agree - the article is full of "I can't believe he doesn't think just like I do!"

People are different, and have different opinions about different things. Just because you agree with someone on one thing doesn't mean you should have the expectation that they agree on everything else, and get upset/incredulous/disappointed when they don't.

Reactions: bdg8 and z_ape
I agree - the article is full of "I can't believe he doesn't think just like I do!"

People are different, and have different opinions about different things. Just because you agree with someone on one thing doesn't mean you should have the expectation that they agree on everything else, and get upset/incredulous/disappointed when they don't.

There are millions of people that think like he does. Doesn't make sense, but whatever.

What I've never understood is why you'd care about a celebrity's take on something like vaccinations or any other political issue. In that way they're of no interest to me and are like anybody else that I don't get worked up over.

Part of it probably goes back to hero-worship, which I also don't do.

Clapton's first response should have been, "Thanks for the email! You know what song of yours I loved? The one about you banging everyone else's wives after convincing them to do so. 'No means no', amirite!? LOL...anywhoo yeah...that slave stuff is deep. How are the kids?"

Clapton says "anywhoo" a lot, BTW.

In four or five years when we are up to a dozen or more shots to show you have been fully vaccinated at all times since early 2021 Will some of you be shitting your pants over the people that only have had 9-10? Meaning there were periods when they were not thinking your way?

get over yourselves already. You should be spending your time disinfecting your groceries and prepping your basement for the remainder of your lives.

Last edited:
Reactions: ThisHawks4u
Being great with a guitar doesn't mean you're a good person.
“Get the wogs out . . . get the coons out.”

You're saying aside from being a racist and an an anti-vaxxer he's a great human? Because he plays the guitar well?
Or you have some other proof?
I was saying that about him being an anti-vaccer. Never heard about him being a racist.

Yeah, being an anti-vaccer would fall into to the category of idiot, poor information.

I was saying that about him being an anti-vaccer. Never heard about him being a racist.

Yeah, being an anti-vaccer would fall into to the category of idiot, poor information.
And yet you responded to my post with a racist quote from him right in it...

Being great with a guitar doesn't mean you're a good person.
“Get the wogs out . . . get the coons out.”
ERIC CLAPTON WAS BEST MAN AT MUDDY WATERS' WEDDING TO MARVA JEAN BROOKS IN 1979. In the last decade of Muddy's life, he and Clapton had become very close. After he met 19 year old Marva, (about seven years after his wife Geneva passed), Mud asked Eric to be his best man.

ERIC CLAPTON WAS BEST MAN AT MUDDY WATERS' WEDDING TO MARVA JEAN BROOKS IN 1979. In the last decade of Muddy's life, he and Clapton had become very close. After he met 19 year old Marva, (about seven years after his wife Geneva passed), Mud asked Eric to be his best man.
Yeah, he seems ok with black people if they can play the blues. As for the rest, he doesn't want them in "his" country.
And he wasn't thrilled with that "spade" Hendrix : “When he first came to England, you know English people have a very big thing towards a spade. They really love that magic thing, the sexual thing. They all fall for that sort of thing. Everybody and his brother in England still sort of think that spades have big dicks. And Jimi came over and exploited that to the limit, the ****ing T. Everybody fell for it. I fell for it. Shit.”

Yeah, he seems ok with black people if they can play the blues. As for the rest, he doesn't want them in "his" country.
And he wasn't thrilled with that "spade" Hendrix : “When he first came to England, you know English people have a very big thing towards a spade. They really love that magic thing, the sexual thing. They all fall for that sort of thing. Everybody and his brother in England still sort of think that spades have big dicks. And Jimi came over and exploited that to the limit, the ****ing T. Everybody fell for it. I fell for it. Shit.”
Who's a bigger racist? Clapton or Biden. Man, it's close isn't it?

Biden white-splained that Latinos in America resist vaccinations because “they’re worried that they’ll be vaccinated and deported.”

On Charlamagne Tha God’s popular morning radio show in May 2020, Biden infamously asserted to the largely black audience that if they were unsure of whether to vote for him or Trump, then “you ain’t black!

In 2007, he referred to Barack Obama as “the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean.”

In 2006, he said, “You cannot go to a 7-Eleven or a Dunkin’ Donuts unless you have a slight Indian accent.”

Way back in 1977, he said that forced busing to desegregate schools would cause his children to “grow up in a racial jungle.”

Of course, he infamously worked with segregationist senators to oppose that mandatory busing, which decades later led to the strongest moment in Kamala Harris’s campaign for president, when she blasted him as having personally impacted her as a young girl.

And over the course of his entire career, he had kind words to say about staunchly segregationist senators.

Who's a bigger racist? Clapton or Biden. Man, it's close isn't it?

Biden white-splained that Latinos in America resist vaccinations because “they’re worried that they’ll be vaccinated and deported.”

On Charlamagne Tha God’s popular morning radio show in May 2020, Biden infamously asserted to the largely black audience that if they were unsure of whether to vote for him or Trump, then “you ain’t black!

In 2007, he referred to Barack Obama as “the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean.”

In 2006, he said, “You cannot go to a 7-Eleven or a Dunkin’ Donuts unless you have a slight Indian accent.”

Way back in 1977, he said that forced busing to desegregate schools would cause his children to “grow up in a racial jungle.”

Of course, he infamously worked with segregationist senators to oppose that mandatory busing, which decades later led to the strongest moment in Kamala Harris’s campaign for president, when she blasted him as having personally impacted her as a young girl.

And over the course of his entire career, he had kind words to say about staunchly segregationist senators.
So basically you’re calling black people stupid for being the reason Biden won the Democratic nomination. I mean how could all these black idiots vote for a pure racist as Biden is, right? That’s how I read this take of yours trying to call Biden out. You’re ultimately saying black people are easily fooled by racists like Joe Biden. This is what you’re implying with this jackass post discussing Clapton.

• Haha
Reactions: doughuddl2
So basically you’re calling black people stupid for being the reason Biden won the Democratic nomination. I mean how could all these black idiots vote for a pure racist as Biden is, right? That’s how I read this take of yours trying to call Biden out. You’re ultimately saying black people are easily fooled by racists like Joe Biden. This is what you’re implying with this jackass post discussing Clapton.
It's Yellowstone - king of the terrible comparisons.

That's not how our brains work, though.

Nor is it very good math.

Think about it this way. You meet someone. You find out they like the same movies. And you are both Christians.

That's 2 out of 2. If you had to predict whether you'd agree on the next topic that comes up, which is the better guess, that you'd agree or disagree?

Now of course it shouldn't surprise you that you will eventually encounter some area of disagreement. But it's perfectly reasonable to be disappointed when you do run into a significant disagreement.

My sense is that most successful musicians are both more to the left and more libertarian than the average Joe. Clapton seems to be showing his libertarian side on this issue.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT