ADVERTISEMENT

Another deadly Tesla crash....

The Tradition

HR King
Apr 23, 2002
teslacrash-crop.jpg

The US federal vehicle auto watchdog dispatched investigators to probe yet another Tesla crash — this time one along Interstate 75 in Florida that killed two people last week.

A Special Crash Investigations team was sent to probe the fatal collission Wednesday, where a 2015 model year Tesla hit the back of a semi-trailer at a rest area near Gainesville, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said Friday.

The agency would not divulge if the Tesla was using the company’s partially automated driving technology.

The vehicle was traveling on Interstate 75 about 2 p.m. Wednesday when, for an unknown reason, it careened into a rest area.

It then traveled into the parking lot and struck the back of a parked Walmart Freightliner tractor-trailer, according to a Florida Highway Patrol press release. The car rear-ended the tractor-trailer, a CBS affiliate reported.

The driver and passenger, both from Lompoc, California, were pronounced dead at the scene. The two who died were a 66-year-old woman and a 67-year-old man, according to a local outlet.

Self driving cars will probably always be as far in the future as flying cars, which have been promised since around the 40s. There are just too many variables for the computers to sort out IMO.

If the Tesla thought the exit to the rest stop was part of the highway and barreled through at 70 mph, failing to see the parked truck and slamming into it as what appears to have happened in the picture, then the self-driving technology is not ready for prime time.
It says "partially" automated, so it requires some human involvement.

Self driving cars will probably always be as far in the future as flying cars, which have been promised since around the 40s. There are just too many variables for the computers to sort out IMO.
It takes a leap of faith to get me into an airplane.
Anything else going off ground for transport no thanks.

We’re the people asleep? How did they not realize the went off the interstate and apply the brakes? Usually an off ramp to a rest area is pretty long so they should have had some reaction times.

Reactions: 86Hawkeye

Disagree. Humans suck at driving. Getting cars to be significantly better than humans is achievable, probably in the near future. They will still make mistakes, it that isn’t a dealbreaker.

Flying cars always was a silly idea, which is why we were never promised any such thing. It is just a fifty year running gag.

Disagree. Humans suck at driving. Getting cars to be significantly better than humans is achievable, probably in the near future. They will still make mistakes, it that isn’t a dealbreaker.

Flying cars always was a silly idea, which is why we were never promised any such thing. It is just a fifty year running gag.

NdG had a pretty interesting way of looking at fly cars and how it doesn't make sense. First 7 minutes, rest is rabbit holes.

The article said they would not divulge if the auto driving was being used. Could be a standard case of bad driver finally screws up for the last time.

Don't know. But I did post this a few weeks ago.

One of the challenges that will be tough to overcome in the near future is allowing self-driving features around human drivers. Human drivers are idiots and they do unpredictable things. If/when we get to all/most of the cars being autonomous, they can talk to each other in ways today’s drivers can’t. As it is, we put a very small percentage of autonomous vehicles (or partially autonomous) out on the road and when there’s an accident, we blame the robot car.

In this particular crash, we don’t even know for sure if the driver WAS using the partial self-driving control. We certainly don’t know why the driver didn’t interject along the way. Maybe it is a massive Tesla failure or maybe it was someone who flipped on the partial automation and took a nap. We’ll see.

Does a 2015 model year have the same software and technology as a brand new Tesla? Seems like that 7+ years since that car was made, vast amounts of innovation and advances had transpired.
Yes, the car installs updates like updating your computers operating system. Cameras are the same on a new versus old model 3.

Also have to ask yourself how may autopilot saves have occurred as a result of the technology. I know it stopped me from getting hit by a semi truck in my right rear quarter panel doing 70 with my kids in the car. Guy got hit by a blast of wind that blew him into my lane while I was passing. He was in my blind spot and couldn't see him at all.

It will do things like accelerate forward when you're getting rear ended and then break after being hit so you don't rear end the car in front of you. It swerves way faster than you can react. Seriously watch the video. It wouldn't surprise me if this couple fell asleep or was drunk.

Last edited:
I guess it partially didn't notice it was advancing on a parked truck at a high rate of speed.
Do you think humans have done the same thing:

A) Never
B) A few dozen times
C) Hundreds of times
D) Thousands of times
E) Tens of thousands of times

What should the acceptable number be?

NHTSA data shows Tesla as much safer per mile driven than other vehicles. Shouldn’t we get the less safe vehicles off the road first?

ADVERTISEMENT