ADVERTISEMENT

Another Florida vacation thread…

HawkeyeShawn

HR Heisman
Nov 9, 2001
Looking for vacation ideas in April around Easter weekend. Will likely VBRO as we prefer to cook most of our meals rather than eat out 3x per day. Family of 5, 3 boys ages 21, 19 and 14. We have zero interest in Orlando and theme parks. Been there and done that. Also not interested in the Keys as we did that vacation a few years back. Tampa/Clearwater is an option, we’ve done day trips in the past from Orlando, but have never actually stayed in that area.

Looking to be on the beach are damn close. I’d say this is a 75% relax on or near the beach type of trip. Right now researching Ft Lauderdale, Bonita Springs and Destin. Looking for other destination options to search.

TIA

I love Anna Maria Island. We usually stay in the Bradenton Beach area, because most everything's within walking distance (the beach, as well as several good bars/restaurants). Only time you'd need the car would be for grocery runs (in that section there's a convenience store, but the only full grocery store is a few miles down the road).

Freudian slip in the thread title?

Anyway, I'd pick the Tampa area over Ft. Lauderdale or Destin.

Beautiful beaches, some are full of resort hotels and others are more unspoiled.

Plenty of non-beach things to do as well (which will be needed if there's any bad weather during your trip), although April is considered the dry season.

Reactions: goldmom

Beautiful beaches, some are full of resort hotels and others are more unspoiled.

Plenty of non-beach things to do as well (which will be needed if there's any bad weather during your trip), although April is considered the dry season.
Destin blows away Tampa.....now, if you had said Naples

Reactions: Twoooooooo

Fvcking iPad!

Any particular areas around Tampa that you’d suggest?

Looking for vacation ideas in April around Easter weekend. Will likely VBRO as we prefer to cook most of our meals rather than eat out 3x per day. Family of 5, 3 boys ages 21, 19 and 14. We have zero interest in Orlando and theme parks. Been there and done that. Also not interested in the Keys as we did that vacation a few years back. Tampa/Clearwater is an option, we’ve done day trips in the past from Orlando, but have never actually stayed in that area.

Looking to be on the beach are damn close. I’d say this is a 75% relax on or near the beach type of trip. Right now researching Ft Lauderdale, Bonita Springs and Destin. Looking for other destination options to search.

TIA
We have enjoyed renting a house on Marco island. There are several public access points to their beautiful beaches which are walkable for many houses/condos.

Last edited:
Reactions: HawkeyeShawn

TIA
Singer island or south palm beach.
Close to pbi and some decent hotels on beach.

TIA
The tl:dr version: For the classic beach-time vacation check out Treasure Island (between St Pete and Clearwater). That's become our annual family trip for our family of four. (kids aged 9 and 11).

Now the detailed version I originally wrote... I've been visiting Tampa in the winter to see family for 10 years. It started myself but this year became trip #4 with the lady friend and kids. We've been transitioning more into our family vacation than just visiting my parents. We stayed in Treasure Island 2 years ago and loved it. We actually bought a timeshare week at the place we stayed and go there annually now. Its mostly low rise hotels and condos in those middle islands between St Pete and Clearwater. Its still an island chain so Gulf Boulevard is the only thouroughfare north and south, but the area has a fraction of the congestion and population density as other areas. Our place borders the beach and its our home away from home for the week. We drive into the mainland after unpacking (the 10 minute drive is worth it, the islands all have Publix stores but they're much smaller and super expensive), load up on groceries and supplies at Publix, Winn Dixie, or Walmart and set up camp for the week. If you're not looking for the theme park type deal and just want the beach vacation thing then its great. There are a lot of smaller activities that you can do nearby, and plenty of shopping centers not far from you on the mainland. The lady friend does much of the annual shopping for the kids down there and brings bags of clothes home. Johns pass is a boardwalk village in Madeira beach that does tons of boat\jet ski rentals, dolphin and sightseeing cruises, fishing charters, bars and restaurants and a host more of other things. We go there several times during the week just for something to do to take a break from beach. There's a boutique winery in there as well as a hand rolled cigar shop I get supplies from for after sundown when we retreat from the beach back to the pool and hot tub.

You're generally not more than an hour away if you do want to go to a destination thing like zoos or aquariums. You can also shoot a half hour south to Fort Dr Soto park. Its an old army fort with tons of beaches and picnic areas. I've never done it but they rent kayaks and paddleboards, bikes, and there's also a ferry service that goes to a couple islands only accessible by boat.

The area has practically zero branded hotel chains, its just a blend of different places. Therefore Google and the vacation search sites don't show the bulk of available lodging. Its mostly mom and pop places and airbnbs. A lot of places you actually have to know about and seek them out to find out about weekly rentals because they won't show up in search engines. It blows my mind how these places have websites but are still so underground. Many are condo communities that have unsold units or owners putting weeks into the rental pool so you have to actually call and inquire. If youre interested (or anyone else for that matter) I can tell you a few places like that around Treasure Island. Its a lot like that all the way up to Indian shores but I don't know many of those places.

In summary, our kids are younger, but if you're looking for the classic relaxing beach vacation then I highly recommend the area. Our days start and end at the beach, and each afternoon there's something nearby to make an excursion if you choose.

The tl:dr version: For the classic beach-time vacation check out Treasure Island (between St Pete and Clearwater). That's become our annual family trip for our family of four. (kids aged 9 and 11).

Now the detailed version I originally wrote... I've been visiting Tampa in the winter to see family for 10 years. It started myself but this year became trip #4 with the lady friend and kids. We've been transitioning more into our family vacation than just visiting my parents. We stayed in Treasure Island 2 years ago and loved it. We actually bought a timeshare week at the place we stayed and go there annually now. Its mostly low rise hotels and condos in those middle islands between St Pete and Clearwater. Its still an island chain so Gulf Boulevard is the only thouroughfare north and south, but the area has a fraction of the congestion and population density as other areas. Our place borders the beach and its our home away from home for the week. We drive into the mainland after unpacking (the 10 minute drive is worth it, the islands all have Publix stores but they're much smaller and super expensive), load up on groceries and supplies at Publix, Winn Dixie, or Walmart and set up camp for the week. If you're not looking for the theme park type deal and just want the beach vacation thing then its great. There are a lot of smaller activities that you can do nearby, and plenty of shopping centers not far from you on the mainland. The lady friend does much of the annual shopping for the kids down there and brings bags of clothes home. Johns pass is a boardwalk village in Madeira beach that does tons of boat\jet ski rentals, dolphin and sightseeing cruises, fishing charters, bars and restaurants and a host more of other things. We go there several times during the week just for something to do to take a break from beach. There's a boutique winery in there as well as a hand rolled cigar shop I get supplies from for after sundown when we retreat from the beach back to the pool and hot tub.

You're generally not more than an hour away if you do want to go to a destination thing like zoos or aquariums. You can also shoot a half hour south to Fort Dr Soto park. Its an old army fort with tons of beaches and picnic areas. I've never done it but they rent kayaks and paddleboards, bikes, and there's also a ferry service that goes to a couple islands only accessible by boat.

The area has practically zero branded hotel chains, its just a blend of different places. Therefore Google and the vacation search sites don't show the bulk of available lodging. Its mostly mom and pop places and airbnbs. A lot of places you actually have to know about and seek them out to find out about weekly rentals because they won't show up in search engines. It blows my mind how these places have websites but are still so underground. Many are condo communities that have unsold units or owners putting weeks into the rental pool so you have to actually call and inquire. If youre interested (or anyone else for that matter) I can tell you a few places like that around Treasure Island. Its a lot like that all the way up to Indian shores but I don't know many of those places.

In summary, our kids are younger, but if you're looking for the classic relaxing beach vacation then I highly recommend the area. Our days start and end at the beach, and each afternoon there's something nearby to make an excursion if you choose.
Damn dood you might have just made a sale for a future vacation!

What is the obsession with Spring break trips? Honest question.

Why not spend some quality time cheaper with the family on a close drive place to go? Or actually spend time as a family at home? With kids that range, I doubt that ever happens. Keep the money and go for trip another time. Just my humble opinion. I have always cracked up at clients that think they can buy their childrens love buy spending money on this crap.

Reactions: Doodads and Hoohah

Why not spend some quality time cheaper with the family on a close drive place to go? Or actually spend time as a family at home? With kids that range, I doubt that ever happens. Keep the money and go for trip another time. Just my humble opinion. I have always cracked up at clients that think they can buy their childrens love buy spending money on this crap.
Terrible take. When we go it is not for the kids primarily, it is because the wife and I need a break

And Feb-March is preferred because we are beyond tired on winter. Plus I think it is not ideal to go to 95 degree Florida in the summer when it is 90 degrees in Iowa

plus anytime we can go somewhere with kids , it is a treat . We only have so many years before they grow up and do their own thing. I am going to be enjoy all of the time I get to spend with them

Last edited:
Terrible take. When we go it is not for the kids primarily, it is because the wife and I need a break

And Feb-March is preferred because we are beyond tired on winter. Plus I think it is not ideal to go to 95 degree Florida in the summer when it is 90 degrees in Iowa

To each their own. I don't mind the winter. I guess those that are so un-tempered to the winter they do it. But, the question started with kids, thats I threw that out there. I am firmly against spoiling kids. They shouldn't feel that it is a right to have a nice spring break trip during the school year.

i.e., I know a guy that bought him and his son tix for super bowl back a few years back for 2500 a ticket and he continued to rationalize it to me.....I just rolled my eyes. His son has turned out to be a spoiled adult with the idea of he deserves everything and everyone else is shite.

To each their own. I don't mind the winter. I guess those that are so un-tempered to the winter they do it. But, the question started with kids, thats I threw that out there. I am firmly against spoiling kids. They shouldn't feel that it is a right to have a nice spring break trip during the school year.

i.e., I know a guy that bought him and his son tix for super bowl back a few years back for 2500 a ticket and he continued to rationalize it to me.....I just rolled my eyes. His son has turned out to be a spoiled adult with the idea of he deserves everything and everyone else is shite.
I mean going to the Super Bowl with your son is a lifetime experience. If they had the means, that is awesome.

Do you have kids?

I mean going to the Super Bowl with your son is a lifetime experience. If they had the means, that is awesome.

Do you have kids?

Spending a lot of money is not a lifetime experience. Spending quality time with each other is.

Damn dood you might have just made a sale for a future vacation!
Want me to send you some re-sale lists? :). Seriously though its just a gem of an area that we fell in love with when we randomly landed there on some unused RCI points my mom spent for us to get a condo a couple trips back. Some of these places on the beach are mini communities, one reason we wanted to make it permanent is the people. We're newcomers but there are people that have been staying at our place the same week as us for 20 plus years that are still there. It's pretty cool meeting friends there that we now see every winter. It's not for everybody, there are more exciting places and more party atmospheres further north and south, but it's just an awesome relaxing retreat area from the Midwest during winter.

Reactions: Tenacious E
You don’t think going to the Super Bowl is a lifetime experience?

Hell I went to the Rose Bowl with my family when I was like 5 and I still remember parts.

Sure, but for 5K plus hotels and flights, etc. ....You could have an ultimate time alone with your son camping in the mountains, go on a highway trip and explore America, etc. Instead, he chose to spend his money on something that his son could just "brag" about to others. Do you really think there was much father-son bonding going on? I don't. I'm guessing selfies to others entire day. I don't care if you have the means. Hell, learn from Warren Buffet.

A few reasons: (1) escape from Iowa winter; (2) see and experience the world; (3) vivid awesome memories I will have forever.

plus anytime we can go somewhere with kids , it is a treat . We only have so many years before they grow up and do their own thing. I am going to be enjoy all of the time I get to spend with them
Well said.

Lol, tell me you’re poor without telling me you’re poor.

Spending a lot of money is not a lifetime experience. Spending quality time with each other is.
I do that every day. I will add that many times life-time experience requires $$$, and you can’t take it with you when you die, and you never know when your ticket to ride will expire. With that said, everyone should live with it their means.

Sure, but for 5K plus hotels and flights, etc. ....You could have an ultimate time alone with your son camping in the mountains, go on a highway trip and explore America, etc. Instead, he chose to spend his money on something that his son could just "brag" about to others. Do you really think there was much father-son bonding going on? I don't. I'm guessing selfies to others entire day. I don't care if you have the means. Hell, learn from Warren Buffet.
It seems like you have your own private feelings. I disagree. But for sake of the thread, lets just agree to disagree so hopefully the OP can get some info on potential locations

TIA
We just got back from Captiva and really liked it. But it seems like there is not a ton of inventory so might be challenging to find something last minute
This, if you want VRBO from Jan- April then they usually book out a year in advance unless you luck out with a cancellation. You may have to hotel it and especially if you want beachfront.

You don’t think going to the Super Bowl is a lifetime experience?

Hell I went to the Rose Bowl with my family when I was like 5 and I still remember parts.

Dad took me to several Gator Bowl games, the Daytona 500 a couple of times, the Daytona 200 motorcycle race several times (which is happening today as a matter of fact)... those are indeed fond memories.

I was at the Gator Bowl when Woody Hayes ended his coaching career by punching a Clemson player who just picked a game-clinching interception. Good times!

Reactions: goldmom and bdg8
It seems like you have your own private feelings. I disagree. But for sake of the thread, lets just agree to disagree so hopefully the OP can get some info on potential locations

You are right, I've seen too much of it. I am biased. Not lying. I'll always speak my truth whether right or wrong. If OP wants to do it, go for it.

Reactions: bdg8
Thanks.
This, if you want VRBO from Jan- April then they usually book out a year in advance unless you luck out with a cancellation. You may have to hotel it and especially if you want beachfront.
Thanks. You are correct. Very limited Vrbo availability.

I love Anna Maria Island. We usually stay in the Bradenton Beach area, because most everything's within walking distance (the beach, as well as several good bars/restaurants). Only time you'd need the car would be for grocery runs (in that section there's a convenience store, but the only full grocery store is a few miles down the road).
Please stop telling out of state people about beaches where Floridians go. 😟

Reactions: The Tradition
OP you’re going at a great time of the year whether you choose Destin or the SW Gulf beaches. North of Tampa is nice too - Dunedin, Tarpon Springs for unreal Greek food or up to Cedar Key for an Old Florida feel and experience.
If you choose the Atlantic side New Smyrna Beach down to Cape Canaveral/Cocoa Beach is nice. Do the NASA tour.
Welcome and have fun!

OP you’re going at a great time of the year whether you choose Destin or the SW Gulf beaches. North of Tampa is nice too - Dunedin, Tarpon Springs for unreal Greek food or up to Cedar Key for an Old Florida feel and experience.
If you choose the Atlantic side New Smyrna Beach down to Cape Canaveral/Cocoa Beach is nice. Do the NASA tour.
Welcome and have fun!

You'll get bit by a shark at New Smyrna! Stay away!

ADVERTISEMENT