ADVERTISEMENT

Another liberal War On Women FAIL....

Habah

HB All-State
Aug 4, 2009
Typical liberalism .... NO FACTS only fiction..

Rolling Stone retracts discredited UVA gang rape story dubbed 'Liberal journalistic failure'

Jan. 15, 2015: Students participating in rush pass by the Phi Kappa Psi house at the University of Virginia in Charlottesville, Va. (AP Photo/Steve Helber, File)
Rolling Stone magazine late Sunday formally retracted a discredited story about an alleged gang rape at a University of Virginia fraternity house after an independent review dubbed the article a "journalistic failure."

The review, undertaken by the Columbia Graduate School of Journalism at Rolling Stone's request, produced a 12,000-word report that documented lapses in standard journalistic procedure at every level of the magazine during the reporting and editing of the story.

Two of the report's authors, dean Steve Coll and academic dean Sheila Coronel, were scheduled to discuss their investigation at a news conference Monday in New York.

"I think the real casualty of the report is the University of Virginia's trust in journalism," said Abraham Axler of New York City, president of the university's Student Council. "I don't think any University of Virginia student going through this will ever read an article the same way."

The article, published in the magazine's November 19, 2014 issue, focused on a student identified only as "Jackie," who said she was raped by seven men at a fraternity house. It also described a hidden culture of sexual violence fueled by binge drinking at one of the nation's most highly regarded public universities.

The report found, among other things, that Rolling Stone did not try hard enough to find the person Jackie accused of orchestrating the assault. The report also detailed how writer Sabrina Erdely failed to contact three friends of Jackie whom the story depicted as dissuading her from seeking medical treatment or reporting the alleged gang rape to police.

The report said that contacting the three friends "was the reporting path, if taken, that would almost certainly have led the magazine's editors to change plans."

However, Coll told The Washington Post that there was no evidence of dishonest reporting. As Coll put it, there was no "inventing facts, lying to colleagues, plagiarism or such, that I would think of as grounds for automatic firing or serious sanction."

Rolling Stone Managing Editor Will Dana is quoted as saying in the report, "It's not like I think we need to overhaul our process, and I don't think we need to necessarily institute a lot of new ways of doing things. We just have to do what we've always done and just make sure we don't make this mistake again."

Jann Wenner, Rolling Stone's founder and publisher, told The New York Times that Erdely would continue to write for the magazine and called Jackie "a really expert fabulist storyteller.

"Obviously there is something here that is untruthful," Wenner said of the story's main source, "and something sits at her doorstep."

Dana said magazine officials are "committing ourselves to a series of recommendations about journalistic practices that are spelled out in the report."

Erdely also apologized in a statement, saying she would not repeat the mistakes she made when writing the article and "did not go far enough to verify" Jackie's story.

"Reading the Columbia account of the mistakes and misjudgments in my reporting was a brutal and humbling experience," she said.

The independent review began after news media organizations, particularly The Washington Post, exposed flaws in the article, titled "A Rape on Campus." By Dec. 5, Rolling Stone apologized and acknowledged discrepancies in the article.

A four-month police investigation produced no evidence that the attack occurred. Jackie refused to cooperate in the police investigation.

"We would like to apologize to our readers and to all of those who were damaged by our story and the ensuing fallout, including members of the Phi Kappa Psi fraternity and UVA administrators and students," Dana wrote on the publication's website.

"Sexual assault is a serious problem on college campuses, and it is important that rape victims feel comfortable stepping forward. It saddens us to think that their willingness to do so might be diminished by our failings."

Dana and Erdely said they had been too accommodating of requests from Jackie that limited their ability to report the story because she said she was a rape victim and asked them not to contact others to corroborate, the report said.

Despite its flaws, the article heightened scrutiny of campus sexual assaults amid a campaign by President Barack Obama. The University of Virginia had already been on the Department of Education's list of 55 colleges under investigation for their handling of sex assault violations.

The article also prompted university President Teresa Sullivan to temporarily suspend fraternity and sorority social events. Fraternities later agreed to ban kegs, hire security workers and keep at least three fraternity members sober at each event.

In a statement Sunday, Sullivan said the Rolling Stone article "did nothing to combat sexual violence, and it damaged serious efforts to address the issue. Irresponsible journalism unjustly damaged the reputations of many innocent individuals and the University of Virginia.

Maggie Rossberg, a second-year nursing student from Crozet, Virginia, said her chief concern is the effect the journalistic lapses will have on rape victims. "This is probably going to discourage other sexual assault survivors from coming forward," Rossberg said.

The fraternity has called the article defamatory and said it was exploring its legal options.

"These false accusations have been extremely damaging to our entire organization, but we can only begin to imagine the setback this must have dealt to survivors of sexual assault," said Stephen Scipione, president of the Virginia Alpha Chapter of Phi Kappa Psi, after the Charlottesville police suspended their investigation.

For its part, Rolling Stone declined to discuss whether the story had undergone legal review.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Click for more from The Washington Post.

I agree this is a pretty bad situation and the worst part is they aren't fixing it. But it's too bad you go all jscott on us and prevent a real discussion because this has nothing to do with political ideology.

Originally posted by naturalmwa:
I agree this is a pretty bad situation and the worst part is they aren't fixing it. But it's too bad you go all jscott on us and prevent a real discussion because this has nothing to do with political ideology.
Please, no one can do jscott like jscott.

Originally posted by HawkinMN:
Please, no one can do jscott like jscott.
He is a leading liberal poster, so ...

Thank you. Naturalma has become a bit of a wet rag in the let's have some fun department.
And how bout the spanking the cubs got last night?!!!

Originally posted by jscott78:
Thank you. Naturalma has become a bit of a wet rag in the let's have some fun department.
And how bout the spanking the cubs got last night?!!!
Thanks, I often find a wet rag pretty useful when I'm having fun spanking a cub.

The only reason this story was published is the political ideology of the writer and editors. Claiming otherwise is ridiculous.

This is what happens when activists are allowed to write serious articles about their causes. Sabrina Rubin Erdley is an activist, not a journalist. Rolling Stone is a platform for activism, not journalism.

Originally posted by IAhawk4ever:

The only reason this story was published is the political ideology of the writer and editors. Claiming otherwise is ridiculous.

This is what happens when activists are allowed to write serious articles about their causes. Sabrina Rubin Erdley is an activist, not a journalist. Rolling Stone is a platform for activism, not journalism.
I'm not sure you want to go here. If the liberals are the "anti-rape, protect women" side, what does that make the cons? I think politics has very little to do with this. I'm happy to entertain the idea that the writer and/or the publication had a social agenda, but thats different from a political ideology IMO.

Everything with liberalism is political...Liberalism wouldn't exist if it weren't...

I'm not sure you want to go here. If the liberals are the "anti-rape, protect women" side, what does that make the cons? I think politics has very little to do with this. I'm happy to entertain the idea that the writer and/or the publication had a social agenda, but thats different from a political ideology IMO.
Correction, The leftist side is "expand the definition of rape, ruin the lives of men based on minimal evidence because it fits the greater narrative you support." You don't get to define it.

The leftist political ideology is that facts aren't important as long as "the cause" is being supported. No big deal if your lie ruins people's lives, as long as they are "privileged", white males. The current movement to expand the definition of rape on college campuses is despicable and the leadership of that movement is made up of this Rolling Stone writer and others like her.

I absolutely oppose rape and I want rapists prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. The current brand of activism has very little to do with that unfortunately, its more about telling fictional allegories that fit a certain world view.

The College Rape Overcorrection

If Slate.com thinks there is a problem, there is a damn problem. This article pretty much sums up my entire thoughts on the college rape problem.

This post was edited on 4/6 12:44 PM by IAhawk4ever
Doesn't the fact that Slate is taking this position point to this not being a political ideology of the left? If we apply your standards, I don't think conservatives are going to come out too well. Be careful

It has absolutely everything to do with political ideology.

Originally posted by Lone Clone:

OK, I guess raping women has everything to do with political ideology too. If you want to swing that sward, you are likely to get cut. I tried to save you cons. (I think thats sort of an Easter reference).

The College Rape Overcorrection

If Slate.com thinks there is a problem, there is a damn problem. This article pretty much sums up my entire thoughts on the college rape problem.

This post was edited on 4/6 12:44 PM by IAhawk4ever
Doesn't the fact that Slate is taking this position point to this not being a political ideology of the left? If we apply your standards, I don't think conservatives are going to come out too well. Be careful
Are you seriously denying the fact that Rolling Stone and problematic ideologies laid out in the Slate article are wholly and completely owned by the far left? The extremist activists on this issue are all proud leftists without exception.

The fact that even a left-leaning Slate writer pointed it out is merely an indication of how completely out of touch with reality these extremists are. If your own side of the political spectrum calls you out for extremism, you probably have a problem. Slate by definition has much more credibility when policing the left than it does policing the right, just as a right leaning site automatically has more credibility policing the right than it does policing the left.

I better be careful, my sane, measured way of looking at this issue may come back to bite me. I'm sure the leftists willfully ruining innocent lives will come out looking great in the long run.

OK, I guess raping women has everything to do with political ideology too. If you want to swing that sward, you are likely to get cut. I tried to save you cons. (I think thats sort of an Easter reference).
I have no sward. In fact, I support the registration of swards and don't think they should be carried in a concealed manner, especially at conflagrations.

Having said that, we're talking about the liberal hand-wringing about rape that has become so trendy recently. All it has accomplished is trivialized the issue and ruined the lives of a number of innocent people.

Well it's clear why Rs get in trouble talking about rape so often. Apparently its a thing on the right that wasn't on my radar. That's why I love this place.

Well it's clear why Rs get in trouble talking about rape so often. Apparently its a thing on the right that wasn't on my radar. That's why I love this place.
C'mon Natural that isn't fair. The article was written as fact to push an agenda. Now, if they would have set it up as a story that was not true, but could happen, then, they would be ok.

In all reality it hurts the cause of violence against women.

Originally posted by rocketclone:

C'mon Natural that isn't fair. The article was written as fact to push an agenda. Now, if they would have set it up as a story that was not true, but could happen, then, they would be ok.

In all reality it hurts the cause of violence against women.
Of course, which is why I suggested we not make this political. That offer was rejected. In that context, this becomes fair. I tried to save you from this fate.

Originally posted by Habah:

"The University of Virginia had already been on the Department of Education's list of 55 colleges under investigation for their handling of sex assault violations."

I found this sentence somewhat interesting.

The DEA is conducting an investigation into the local investigations?

I am curious which 55 colleges they think are coming up short in this area?

Originally posted by Titus Andronicus:

Originally posted by Habah:

"The University of Virginia had already been on the Department of Education's list of 55 colleges under investigation for their handling of sex assault violations."

I found this sentence somewhat interesting.

The DEA is conducting an investigation into the local investigations?

I think Iowa State might be one of them. Could be a different deal, but ISU was chastized a year or so ago for the way it was handling reports of sexual assaults, and changed its policies.

I am pretty sure ISU is on the list but it isnt due to the report you mentioned. The DEA is investigating because of a complaint on a individual case. The list of schools are linked in the Slate article linked above. They note it as 88 schools. Drake was also on the list.

Originally posted by Titus Andronicus:

I think Iowa State might be one of them. Could be a different deal, but ISU was chastized a year or so ago for the way it was handling reports of sexual assaults, and changed its policies.
I went looking for the list. It would be fairly good company; Berkeley, Dartmouth, Harvard Law, USC, Penn State, Michigan, and a few others ... No ISU or Iowa though.

Arizona State University
Butte-Glen Community College (CA)
Occidental College (CA)
University of California-Berkeley
University of Southern California
Regis University (CO)
University of Colorado at Boulder
University of Colorado at Denver
University of Denver
University of Connecticut
Catholic University of America (DC)
Florida State University
Emory Universtiy (GA)
University of Hawaii at Manoa
University of Idaho
Knox College (IL)
University of Chicago
Indiana University- Bloomington
Vincennes University (IN)
Amherst College (MA)
Boston University
Emerson College (MA)
Harvard College (MA)
Harvard University- Law School
University of Massachusetts-Amherst
Frostberg State University (MD)
Michigan State University
University of Michigan-Ann Arbor
Guilford College (NC)
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Minot State University (ND)
Dartmouth College (NH)
Princeton University (NJ)
CUNY Hunter College (NY)
Hobart and William Smith Colleges (NY)
Sarah Lawrence College (NY)
SUNY Binghamton (NY)
Denison University (OH)
Ohio State University
Wittenberg University (OH)
Oklahoma State University
Carngie Mellon University (PA)
Franklin and Marshall College (PA)
Pennsylvania State University
Swarthmore College (PA)
Temple University (PA)
Vanderbilt University (TN)
Southern Methodist University (TX)
The University of Texas-Pan American
College of William and Mary (VA)
University of Virginia
Washington State University
University of Wisconsin-Whitewater
Bethany College (WV)
West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine

This was a great story for the libs to cover. It hit many of the themes they love to write about. Just like the "hands up" story. Truth is an inconvenience when you are making the points(false or not) you want to make to advance your cause. I am waiting to see how much the national fraternity will ask for in the law suit. I am hoping the University sues for damage also.

I have no sward. In fact, I support the registration of swards and don't think they should be carried in a concealed manner, especially at conflagrations.

Having said that, we're talking about the liberal hand-wringing about rape that has become so trendy recently. All it has accomplished is trivialized the issue and ruined the lives of a number of innocent people.
Why is natural swinging a grass-covered piece of land, and aren't most pastures already registered under the owner's name somewhere?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT