ADVERTISEMENT

Another murder in Iowa's " worst city " ...

jamesvanderwulf

HB Legend
Nov 27, 2015
People's Republic of Johnson County
CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa (KCRG) - One person is dead and another injured after a shooting incident on the northeast side of the city in a late Friday night incident, according to law enforcement officials.

://www.kcrg.com/content/news/Two-shot-on-northeast-side-of-Cedar-Rapids-late-Friday-night-567290921.html

EITppuJX0AUnIfP.jpg

Reactions: royhobbs2
They are obviously going by per capita. They also may hide liberty city in greater Miami Dade

it’s still obvious where the shit holes are to quote Trump

Orlando is nowhere near the worst city in Florida.

Agree. Cedar Rapids is nowhere near the worst in Iowa.

Agreed. CR is kind of a shithole

Fake news. It’s a shame you’ve never been around the state. You’ve clearly never been to Council Bluffs, Mason City, Clinton, Ottumwa, Burlington, Keokuk, etc. CR is a Top 5 city in Iowa.

and dAllas? that's the crown jewel. the elite of the elite. Houston or edinburg or el paso or ft worth. come on people.

Fake news. It’s a shame you’ve never been around the state. You’ve clearly never been to Council Bluffs, Mason City, Clinton, Ottumwa, Burlington, Keokuk, etc. CR is a Top 5 city in Iowa.
Mason city worse than cedar rapids? LOL.
I'm not saying it's the worst in the state but cedar rapids is a stinking shithole.

Reactions: royhobbs2

I lived in CR. I never said it was the worst. Just that it is a shithole

I lived in CR. I never said it was the worst. Just that it is a shithole
Define “shithole.”

CR isn’t the greatest small city in the world, and definitely has elements that are undesirable thanks to an influx from certain large midwestern cities.
However, in no way does it conform to any city that I would consider to be a “shithole.” In my experience, CR resembles many of Chicago’s northwest suburbs where I grew up. It’s kind of a combination of those right around the airport on out to McHenry County.

Define “shithole.”

CR isn’t the greatest small city in the world, and definitely has elements that are undesirable thanks to an influx from certain large midwestern cities.
However, in no way does it conform to any city that I would consider to be a “shithole.” In my experience, CR resembles many of Chicago’s northwest suburbs where I grew up. It’s kind of a combination of those right around the airport on out to McHenry County.
I am glad you like it. I lived there before NewBo and some of the positive changes. So my view is somewhat dated

Last edited:
Reactions: mstp1992
I've lived in in the CR area for 40+ years - if it's a shithole and the worst city in Iowa, then the world is indeed a wonderful place.

Have those that are critical of CR been there in the last 5 years? Sure, the city had struggles in the 80's when all the manufacturing jobs went away. The downtown was crappy and loaded with empty store fronts.

The 2008 flood was a freakin' disaster on so many levels, but mostly in terms of human hardship. But, it opened the way from a ton of new development in the flooded areas. CR has always had nice neighborhoods and the public schools are outstanding.

DM is a great Iowa city. But, Council Bluffs, Clinton, Davenport, Muscatine, Ottumwa, Sioux City, Waterloo, Newton, Mason City, Ft. Dodge, Dubuque - all better than CR?

Define “shithole.”

I agree. It reminds me of living in the suburbs of a big city, without (most of) the hassle of the big city. (I have lived in suburban Dallas, KC, St Louis and Omaha) We moved here in 2000 and it was ok, but it has really taken off post flood. There are considerably more entertainment options and locally owned restaurants, than before. It's frequently on the list of most livable/best places. There is also easy access to anything I want to do in IC as well. The two metros are essentially merging into one metro. The Des Moines are is the the only other place in Iowa I would consider living.

Reactions: mstp1992
I've lived in in the CR area for 40+ years - if it's a shithole and the worst city in Iowa, then the world is indeed a wonderful place.

Have those that are critical of CR been there in the last 5 years? Sure, the city had struggles in the 80's when all the manufacturing jobs went away. The downtown was crappy and loaded with empty store fronts.

The 2008 flood was a freakin' disaster on so many levels, but mostly in terms of human hardship. But, it opened the way from a ton of new development in the flooded areas. CR has always had nice neighborhoods and the public schools are outstanding.

DM is a great Iowa city. But, Council Bluffs, Clinton, Davenport, Muscatine, Ottumwa, Sioux City, Waterloo, Newton, Mason City, Ft. Dodge, Dubuque - all better than CR?
it's been probably 25 yrs or so since I been there to CR. we went to the field of dreams in the 90's and I think we went thru CR,maybe or maybe not. I used to race bmx there a lot in the 80's. I wouldn't think it would be any worse than say des moines. I have been to des moines lately and it's seemingly got a few bigger city issues.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT