ADVERTISEMENT

Another questionable shooting to debate

Easily justified shooting. Not really controversial at all.

Only controversy seems to be coming from the family of the man killed. Sorry but your brother was trying to violently enter the home of his ex girlfriend and likely had violent intent upon her and her family after doing that (Otherwise why break in). Harsh truth to learn I'm sure but that's the reality.

Family says he hadn't broken into the house because the dad shot through the door. Maybe, but the claim is that he had started to get the door open. If the dad held off shooting until the door was broken open then I think this claim is debunked. This article says that the deadbolt was locked and the door casing for the lock broken. https://www.sidneydailynews.com/news/225535/frye-sell-issue-statment-on-fatal-shooting

Family claims that it wasn't in self defense since the kid was shot in the back. But in the video you can see the first shot was from the front. The second was on the side. And the third shot was in the back. All in a matter of less than 2 seconds. I think this claim is debunked as in the heat of the moment in self defense it is hard to stop pulling the trigger as soon as it appears that the person is fleeing. He didn't start shooting after the kid ran away and he didn't run outside and empty the clip into his corpse.

I think this is a case of play stupid games, win stupid prizes. It sucks that it happened though. In the video the kid had a look on his face like he wasn't thinking clearly. Wonder if something showed up on the toxicology report.

Family says he hadn't broken into the house because the dad shot through the door. Maybe, but the claim is that he had started to get the door open. If the dad held off shooting until the door was broken open then I think this claim is debunked. This article says that the deadbolt was locked and the door casing for the lock broken. https://www.sidneydailynews.com/news/225535/frye-sell-issue-statment-on-fatal-shooting

Family claims that it wasn't in self defense since the kid was shot in the back. But in the video you can see the first shot was from the front. The second was on the side. And the third shot was in the back. All in a matter of less than 2 seconds. I think this claim is debunked as in the heat of the moment in self defense it is hard to stop pulling the trigger as soon as it appears that the person is fleeing. He didn't start shooting after the kid ran away and he didn't run outside and empty the clip into his corpse.

I think this is a case of play stupid games, win stupid prizes. It sucks that it happened though. In the video the kid had a look on his face like he wasn't thinking clearly. Wonder if something showed up on the toxicology report.
Once you start shooting while you are defending yourself, you don't stop shooting until there's no longer a threat. If the person turns during the shooting, well that's too bad. They should have turned and walked away before the shooting started.

Once you start shooting while you are defending yourself, you don't stop shooting until there's no longer a threat. If the person turns during the shooting, well that's too bad. They should have turned and walked away before the shooting started.

Threat is stopped when they flee but you don't have time to react and stop firing right away. 1 shot going in his back while he was turning is fine because you don't have time to go from firing to stop firing in milliseconds.

Now there would be a problem if there was six shots in his back such as if he continued to fire well after he began fleeing or at post #5 says he came out and emptied the magazine into his corpse.

If there’s a Castle Doctrine in Ohio this is pretty clear cut justified.

Which is why Castle Doctrine I think should be the law of the land in every state but I'm not as fond of stand your ground.

The best chance you are going to have to defend yourself is the instant the attacker knocks down your door.

ADVERTISEMENT