ADVERTISEMENT

another reason the QC is better than CR

Cedar Rapids’ contributions to the world…
Michael-Collins-04-2677694.jpeg

grant-wood-painter-of-american-gothic-promo.jpg
https%3A%2F%2Fcdn.cnn.com%2Fcnnnext%2Fdam%2Fassets%2F200513123438-01-frodo-baggins-elijah-wood.jpg

office-space-peter-gibbons.gif

s-l400.jpg

1402515498000-AP070408020447.jpg

xgxtg4wapnkwppqd0tdf.jpg

GettyImages-481427824.0.jpg

Quad Cities’…
qc-pizza-mn-5819-kinda-big-dill-1-773x1030.jpg

catfish-guy-beatles-300x199.jpg

Last edited:
Oldest pipe organ west of the Mississippi

If you have to convince people that you are somehow "better"... You aren't really better
You forgot Mt. Trashmore!
Mt Trashmore has its own trail challenge, and its own beer. So there is that.. which is nice.

Reactions: Menace Sockeyes
You forgot Mt. Trashmore!

You know...I took my district's 2nd graders from one of our elementary schools up to Mt. Trashmore last week.

My observations from the experience...

a) Best view in CR - I know, not saying much, but you really could see damn near the entire city from the top - and it was all things considered quite the view. I'm betting the look from the top in the fall at peak colors is spectacular.

b) Amazingly enough, no "this used to be a county dump" smell any more. I dunno how they did it, but the prior horrific smell was gone.

c) I've taken elementary school kids on probably 50 different trips through the years now. But this trip, once they all got to the top, they had an absolute blast and were blown away by the view.

For what it used to be...I think they turned a serious liability into something to be reasonably proud of. About the only thing I think should be eventually done is stopping the composting operation and turn that part of it back into a big ol' open field of grass and trees.

For once, I thought my city spent money rather well.

You know...I took my district's 2nd graders from one of our elementary schools up to Mt. Trashmore last week.

My observations from the experience...

a) Best view in CR - I know, not saying much, but you really could see damn near the entire city from the top - and it was all things considered quite the view. I'm betting the look from the top in the fall at peak colors is spectacular.

b) Amazingly enough, no "this used to be a county dump" smell any more. I dunno how they did it, but the prior horrific smell was gone.

c) I've taken elementary school kids on probably 50 different trips through the years now. But this trip, once they all got to the top, they had an absolute blast and were blown away by the view.

For what it used to be...I think they turned a serious liability into something to be reasonably proud of. About the only thing I think should be eventually done is stopping the composting operation and turn that part of it back into a big ol' open field of grass and trees.

For once, I thought my city spent money rather well.
Is this part of a long term study where you check in on these kids when they're 45 to see how Mt Trashmore derailed their lives?

Reactions: torbee
'Come to the QC, enjoy our really old, large, wooden organ'

That would pretty much turn off all women, and both straight and (most) gay men.

Reactions: General Tso
Born in CR, lived some in CR, worked in CR, as did his father...close enough to conveniently claim him. ;)

Hell, unless you moved to Marion from somewhere else, you had to be born in CR if you grew up in Marion! Not sure about where he ever worked in CR, but he was a grade behind me throughout my years at Marion school district, and his mom was the minister at the church at the end of our street, but sure, conveniently claim him for CR. :)

Recent sports success:

QC beats CR in field of dreams game
QC Steamwheeler’s in natty game
Davenport LL makes WS run

CR woman’s geriatric bball team wins natty
CR - Kernels - Midwest League First Half Crown and Playoffs...longest streak in the Midwest League.
CR - Iowa Raptors - second title in a row in Midwest Premier League soccer West Division.

Jim Mertens left the hell-fire and brimstone-hole that is the QC to come to CR....this needs to end. Terry Swails did the same and couldn't cut it in the CR and was released. QC talent can't hang in CR.

Jim Mertens left the hell-fire and brimstone-hole that is the QC to come to CR....this needs to end. Terry Swails did the same and couldn't cut it in the CR and was released. QC talent can't hang in CR.
I think its because they couldnt wait to GTFO of CR. Didnt swails live in the QC the whole time lol

Reactions: torbee
I think its because they couldnt wait to GTFO of CR. Didnt swails live in the QC the whole time lol
Pretty sure his contract wasn't renewed, guessing he didn't move the needle for the $ ask, when they had Nick Stewart who is fantastic waiting in the wings for likely half the price.

It was in Davenport, Iowa, that actor Cary Grant's life
came to end at the age of 82 on November 29, 1986.
He was rehearsing at the Adler Theater for his one man
show when he suffered a massive stroke. He was taken
to St. Luke's Hospital and died there that evening.

Bottom Line: One of our greatest actors went to that
Big Theater in the Sky after his arrival in Davenport.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT