ADVERTISEMENT

Another side to sustainable recruiting ... Iowa style

ghostOfHomer777

HR Heisman
May 20, 2014
In recent years, Iowa's recruiting has been more than respectable. Part of that has likely attributable to our overall success on the field, while another portion of it is attributable to our success placing guys in the NFL. In other words ... our usual recipe.

However, now in the era of NIL ... it looks like Iowa has been managing to land really high level preferred walk-ons. We're talking about getting preferred walk-ons from guys who often have D1 offers from other schools (albeit at FCS- or MAC-level D1 schools). All the same, that's still a caliber of guy who often has more than a fighting chance to earn a scholarship and potentially even work their way up to starter territory!

While I know that a lot of folks here want Iowa to get plug-n-play transfer portal guys ... but if Iowa's walk-on contributors keep on ramping up their level of contributions ... then this still provides the Hawks with an alternative way of bolster our depth, all while staying true to the philosophical foundations of the program (at least, as it is run by Kirk).

Previously, we've gotten high-level guys like Quinn Schulte, Jaxon Rexroth, Dominic Wiseman and Will Hubert. More recently, we've been getting guys like Watts McBride, Jackson Filer, and Hayden Large (among others). I expect that we'll see a good many of these guys end up being quality contributors for us!

In recent years, Iowa's recruiting has been more than respectable. Part of that has likely attributable to our overall success on the field, while another portion of it is attributable to our success placing guys in the NFL. In other words ... our usual recipe.

However, now in the era of NIL ... it looks like Iowa has been managing to land really high level preferred walk-ons. We're talking about getting preferred walk-ons from guys who often have D1 offers from other schools (albeit at FCS- or MAC-level D1 schools). All the same, that's still a caliber of guy who often has more than a fighting chance to earn a scholarship and potentially even work their way up to starter territory!

While I know that a lot of folks here want Iowa to get plug-n-play transfer portal guys ... but if Iowa's walk-on contributors keep on ramping up their level of contributions ... then this still provides the Hawks with an alternative way of bolster our depth, all while staying true to the philosophical foundations of the program (at least, as it is run by Kirk).

Previously, we've gotten high-level guys like Quinn Schulte, Jaxon Rexroth, Dominic Wiseman and Will Hubert. More recently, we've been getting guys like Watts McBride, Jackson Filer, and Hayden Large (among others). I expect that we'll see a good many of these guys end up being quality contributors for us!
I agree. We got a pretty amazing list of pwo players this year. A lot of talent in there.

Yep. Every team wants to high level recruits and portal guys, so the competition is fierce. Iowa gets a few, but not nearly enough to build a team.

So you build a team of ballers. Guy that love football and want to get better everyday. Guys that play for each other. That's how you build a team at Iowa.

But, a problem has emerged. I'm always said that a developmental program like Iowa needs upperclassmen to compete at a high level. Early entry NFL guys have punched a hole in that plan - so has the easy-out portal. More and more players seem to be thinking short term vs long.

The plan has been working to perfection on defense. Too many holes on offense.

we've gotten high-level guys like Quinn Schulte
hahaha beat North Dakota out for him
what a thread lmao
Did you not comprehend the point of my post at all?

Quinn Schulte is high-level because he's a smart and talented dude. Sometimes that gets reflected in offers from other schools.

However, in Schulte's case, he's a dude who was a significant contributor in '21 on special teams AND as a back-up. Now he's a starter. Seems like a high-level former walk-on to me!

Reactions: littlez
With a lot of programs going primarily plug & play, there should be more developmental talent available for programs that maintain that path as an option...

And the Bears have the #1 pick because they s%^k. Sounds like we're stuck looking for off field victories. I feel so Nebraskan. KF failed to identify good talent the last few years on the OL according to him but if you look at thier offer list and stars they were highly coveted. If they cant be coached up by KF and BF what chance to the walk ons have?

Anyone spinning this as a victory loves to use anecdotal evidence for everything in life. I will happily take 1 high level transfer in comparison to 10 PWO guys. I bet the hit rate on any of them being at the same level of play as an impact transfer is less than 10%. There is zero reason why Iowa cannot have both.

Reactions: Ignored
Did you not comprehend the point of my post at all?

Quinn Schulte is high-level because he's a smart and talented dude. Sometimes that gets reflected in offers from other schools.

However, in Schulte's case, he's a dude who was a significant contributor in '21 on special teams AND as a back-up. Now he's a starter. Seems like a high-level former walk-on to me!
Wasn't Jack Koerner a preferred walk-on? I believe so & I'll take guys like him (& the others you mentioned) anytime. Limited risk really because you reward the ones that contribute as positional players with schollys.....& the others either wash out or remain on the team as practice/special teams guys.

Reactions: ghostOfHomer777
Wasn't Jack Koerner a preferred walk-on? I believe so & I'll take guys like him (& the others you mentioned) anytime. Limited risk really because you reward the ones that contribute as positional players with schollys.....& the others either wash out or remain on the team as practice/special teams guys.
Yep. Koerner was a former walk-on too (I think you're right about him being a former preferred walk-on too).

Brandon Snyder was a former walk-on.

Jake Gervase was a former walk-on.

As scholarship recruits ... guys like Riley Moss, Amani Hooker, and Geno Stone were all criminally under-recruited.

Anyone spinning this as a victory loves to use anecdotal evidence for everything in life. I will happily take 1 high level transfer in comparison to 10 PWO guys. I bet the hit rate on any of them being at the same level of play as an impact transfer is less than 10%. There is zero reason why Iowa cannot have both.
Iowa still goes after high-level recruits (and high-level transfers) too. However, there is tremendous competition for those guys. It's not always easy to land such guys.

Furthermore, there are plenty of high-level transfers who are simply "mercenary players" ... they're playing for more for themselves than for the love of the game, for the fellowship with their brothers (teammates), or for their love of the program.

This scenario can often lead to a guy who attempts to do things on a high-level ... but he doesn't focus upon doing his job for the team. That can potentially end up doing more harm than good. A guy needs to execute his job at a high level ... and then his teammates can then trust him. Great team play is premised upon that trust.

But, a problem has emerged. I'm always said that a developmental program like Iowa needs upperclassmen to compete at a high level. Early entry NFL guys have punched a hole in that plan - so has the easy-out portal. More and more players seem to be thinking short term vs long.
I'd be interested to see the numbers crunched for developmental guys who favorably develop at Iowa. While such guys still might leave early for the NFL ... I'm willing to bet that, generally speaking, they have an extra loyalty to the program due to role the program played in aiding in their development.

Between that loyalty ... and that such guys can still manage some compensation via NIL ... I think that may allow for an additional bolstering to Iowa's roster.

On the flip side, I could see this mechanism working against programs like UNI ... wherein guys feel like NIL removes some of the disincentive to walk-on (compared to getting a 'ship or partial 'ship at a place like UNI).

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
Iowa still goes after high-level recruits (and high-level transfers) too. However, there is tremendous competition for those guys. It's not always easy to land such guys.

Furthermore, there are plenty of high-level transfers who are simply "mercenary players" ... they're playing for more for themselves than for the love of the game, for the fellowship with their brothers (teammates), or for their love of the program.

This scenario can often lead to a guy who attempts to do things on a high-level ... but he doesn't focus upon doing his job for the team. That can potentially end up doing more harm than good. A guy needs to execute his job at a high level ... and then his teammates can then trust him. Great team play is premised upon that trust.
Again anecdotal. There is zero reason with the amount of money that was being thrown at Proctor that that money was not utilized to garner a top OL transfer.

Again anecdotal. There is zero reason with the amount of money that was being thrown at Proctor that that money was not utilized to garner a top OL transfer.
You're absolutely right. I'm sure that some transfers do things the "right way" at their new programs.

However, some guys transfer simply because they failed to earn enough playing time at their original institution ... and they're hopping to another program in hopes of having an easier path to playing time. For other guys ... sometimes they hop to another program because they're entitled and want to cash-in more (you can't make a more "me"-move than that).

These latter scenarios point to the transfer portal being littered with guys who simply don't fit the developmental culture of Iowa. If a guy does fit ... he can often be poisonous to the locker room. There are a TON of variables you have to consider when developing roster-management strategies.

Ya nice job with Proctor. But hey maybe another walk on from Cedar Rapids

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT