ADVERTISEMENT

Another unpopular opinion . . .

torbee

HR King
Gold Member
Jeff Goldblum sucks.

Sure, he was moderately entertaining in The Fly and the first Jurassic Park --- but that's it. And since then -- for going on 30 years! -- he has made an active living off of being "Jeff Goldblum" --- which is basically just an enhanced, extreme version of his Jurassic Park character: a sarcastic, sardonic know-it-all who makes pithy sarcastic comments. Hell, he even wears the same basic wardrobe as that character, which was introduced to America in 1993.

Why is this something people like? I don't get it.

Look at this tweet and tell me this guy's schtick isn't old and lame:

758f9c47-6b20-4d9c-b4f3-fd0f807c54ed_text.gif

Counterpoint: Jeff Goldblum is still far more entertaining than 90% of "current" celebrities.

And he's really fun in Thor: Rangarok.

I watched some of the first season of the Jeff Goldblum show on Disney+ and I thought those were pretty entertaining also.

He's a contributor.

Jobeth Williams told me that all the ladies on the set of The Big Chill really wanted to bang Jeff Goldbloom. That’s the only inside dirt I have on him.

I don't think he sucks. But its like making the leap from "you know, some fresh cilantro is just the touch to take these enchiladas over the top to pure deliciousness" to "you know what, it looks like your banana split needs some cilantro" to "twice a week for dinner I just eat a big bowl of cilantro."

I mean, things have their lane.

I don't think he sucks. But its like making the leap from "you know, some fresh cilantro is just the touch to take these enchiladas over the top to pure deliciousness" to "you know what, it looks like your banana split needs some cilantro" to "twice a week for dinner I just eat a big bowl of cilantro."

I mean, things have their lane.
That is a fair point.

I can recognize he is a talented actor. And I suppose I don't blame him for taking advantage of people's odd affinity for his specific character traits. I just don't understand the appeal.

That is a fair point.

I can recognize he is a talented actor. And I suppose I don't blame him for taking advantage of people's odd affinity for his specific character traits. I just don't understand the appeal.

It honestly feels a bit manufactured. It strongly seems like the call for more Goldblum everywhere came from brands and properties shoving him in front of us. It doesn't seem organic at all.

Reactions: torbee
Calling someone out for

r: a sarcastic, sardonic know-it-all who makes pithy sarcastic comments

What was the ‘takes one to know one’ line?
😜

He is an American treasure. He was fantastic in Earth Girls are Easy and Buckeroo Banzai. Seems like a lot of you are just jealous of a man with an extremely long and successful career. Plus, he has banged a lot of hotties.

Jeff Goldblum sucks.

Sure, he was moderately entertaining in The Fly and the first Jurassic Park --- but that's it. And since then -- for going on 30 years! -- he has made an active living off of being "Jeff Goldblum" --- which is basically just an enhanced, extreme version of his Jurassic Park character: a sarcastic, sardonic know-it-all who makes pithy sarcastic comments. Hell, he even wears the same basic wardrobe as that character, which was introduced to America in 1993.

Why is this something people like? I don't get it.

Look at this tweet and tell me this guy's schtick isn't old and lame:

He does suck. I thought this was a common opinion. If it’s not, that’s sad, because it’s the only correct one.

Meh he's not an actor with a great amount of range but you can find plenty of actors who are essentially the same character over and over again.

He isn't any better or worse than all of the other actors who are typecast into the same role over and over again.

This is pretty much how I feel about every Italian American actor who does crime/mafia movies.

ADVERTISEMENT