ADVERTISEMENT

Another vote on Friday?

If a team wants to play let them play. If a team doesn’t want to play, don’t make them but also don’t share the profits with them. Treat this like a business, you don’t work, you don’t get paid. Don’t screw over the ones who want to work/play.
You do that you have a good chance to be like the Big 12.

If a team wants to play let them play. If a team doesn’t want to play, don’t make them but also don’t share the profits with them. Treat this like a business, you don’t work, you don’t get paid. Don’t screw over the ones who want to work/play.
The only thing is the BTN network is making x dollars from subscriber fees in states of each school. After expenses, there should be some prorated/weighted amount that isn’t necessarily equal for those participating and those not. All assuming there are games.

God, it’d be embarrassing if we (Illinois) sat out. I know we’re no football juggernaut, but even WITH this additional recent spike, Champaign and Central Illinois in general (an area with a very good healthcare capacity and a population of about 2 million, a majority of which is in relatively large metros like Peoria, Champaign, Bloomington-Normal, etc.) has had about as good of a time as anywhere with COVID. This would be totally political. I definitely get the feeling our AD and Lovie FOR SURE want to play.

Reactions: Simbahawk4
So why is not the PAC - whatever not doing the same? They don't care about money?

Maybe they are?

What's really epic is 50% of the board said this was to hurt Trump's re-election. So now we suddenly think games are going to begin on Oct 10th after Trump personally talked to Warren? That would be a perceived boost to Trump. If Warren was so hell bent on hurting Trump, wouldn't he stay steadfast on starting after the election? Why would he give Trump a 'victory' on football?

Everybody is getting bamboozled here. The Nebraska AD just recently said there's nothing to the rumors of an October start. If anybody wants to play ASAP, it's Nebraska. We're all being messed around with at this point. I'm not sure who is doing the messing (B1G, "sources", Nebraska AD, or the Twitter guy). I trust the words directly from the AD more than "sources"

Reactions: nu2u
Maybe they are?

What's really epic is 50% of the board said this was to hurt Trump's re-election. So now we suddenly think games are going to begin on Oct 10th after Trump personally talked to Warren? That would be a perceived boost to Trump. If Warren was so hell bent on hurting Trump, wouldn't he stay steadfast on starting after the election? Why would he give Trump a 'victory' on football?

Everybody is getting bamboozled here. The Nebraska AD just recently said there's nothing to the rumors of an October start. If anybody wants to play ASAP, it's Nebraska. We're all being messed around with at this point. I'm not sure who is doing the messing (B1G, "sources", Nebraska AD, or the Twitter guy). I trust the words directly from the AD more than "sources"
I don’t think we are getting an October start. I hope I am wrong.

Reactions: JJ13579
Maybe they are?

What's really epic is 50% of the board said this was to hurt Trump's re-election. So now we suddenly think games are going to begin on Oct 10th after Trump personally talked to Warren? That would be a perceived boost to Trump. If Warren was so hell bent on hurting Trump, wouldn't he stay steadfast on starting after the election? Why would he give Trump a 'victory' on football? Easy answer. Because the Left is getting killed on this...the clearly political nature of shutting down B1G college football is actually hurting their image and prospects. That puts pressure, even on Warren and his allies (Whitmer, etcetera) to allow football and drop what is becoming a losing issue for them. Add in the pressure not to fall, fiscally, WAY behind the 3 conferences still playing...and it might be enough to prompt a reversal. Then again, hatred for the President may prevail and they WILL hold to their idiotic shutdown position.

Everybody is getting bamboozled here. The Nebraska AD just recently said there's nothing to the rumors of an October start. If anybody wants to play ASAP, it's Nebraska. We're all being messed around with at this point. I'm not sure who is doing the messing (B1G, "sources", Nebraska AD, or the Twitter guy). I trust the words directly from the AD more than "sources. The NU AD may be right, but these rumors are coming from AD's and Coaches who are likely trying to push for a vote because they want to play...and think that is what's best for the kids and the programs. In this environment, there's always going to be rumors flying around...when a really dumb decision is made, like shutting down football, people are likely to listen to rumors that such idiocy might be overturned.

Agree. No play, no pay. That stance might also buy some yes votes.

Another interesting aspect is that it appears the likely no votes
generate among the smallest per game TV audiences. The networks and even the conference should have a ranking of audience draws: for example does Iowa vs Indiana draw better or worse than Iowa vs Rutgers etc

This is my response to all this re: Warren, the conf. presidents, etc...
tenor.gif

Agree. No play, no pay. That stance might also buy some yes votes.

Another interesting aspect is that it appears the likely no votes
generate among the smallest per game TV audiences. The networks and even the conference should have a ranking of audience draws: for example does Iowa vs Indiana draw better or worse than Iowa vs Rutgers etc

Illinois actually is a pretty good TV draw for how bad we are, and I imagine RU is, as well. The smallest TV draws in the conference are likely Northwestern and Indiana/Purdue (whoever is worse that year).

I’m starting to think that the only way we get people in this country to take this seriously and get them to take the necessary precautions is to say no football, college or nfl, until we are over it. It seems to be the only thing anybody is interested in taking seriously

I’m starting to think that the only way we get people in this country to take this seriously and get them to take the necessary precautions is to say no football, college or nfl, until we are over it. It seems to be the only thing anybody is interested in taking seriously
Wtf does “over it” mean. If it means eliminate the virus gfy. If it means flatten the curve so hospitals aren’t overrun then, well, let’s play ball.

Do you think most of the people you see out and about without masks on give 2 shits about whether there is football or any other sport or not?

Do you think most of the people you see out and about without masks on give 2 shits about whether there is football or any other sport or not?
Better yet. Do you think masks will eliminate Covid? Cause apparently that’s the new goal.

Better yet. Do you think masks will eliminate Covid? Cause apparently that’s the new goal.

The goal should be to have everything open everywhere, safely. At this rate we aren’t going to get there until a hypothetical vaccine is available

There’s a problem with priorities when people are more focused on football and opening bars/restaurants than they are with being able to open schools and ensuring we don’t have a tidal wave of unemployment from offshoring jobs due to 2021 budgets getting cut

No I don't. I think it gives a number of persons a very false sense of security, in fact I know of a case where they wore their mask religiously and still somehow caught it.

Reactions: Fran_Man
ADVERTISEMENT