ADVERTISEMENT

New Story Anthony Nelson keeping busy

Apr 8, 2003
Tom's Q&A with incoming freshman Anthony Nelson.

---

Anthony Nelson stayed patient in the recruiting process and eventually it landed up a scholarship offer from the Hawkeyes. Since signing with Iowa in February, the in-state standout has been keeping busy with track at his high school and staying in shape with the Iowa workout program. He talks about his upcoming arrival at Iowa and excitement to get started this summer.

Q: What have you been doing as far as training and high school sports this spring?

NELSON: I have been lifting and I am in track right now, so I am running a bit. I've been doing the Iowa program a couple of times a week and just trying to stay in shape and keep my technique sharp.

Q: What events are you doing in track?

NELSON: I've just been doing the high jump.

Q: How have you done in that event?

NELSON: My highest is 6-2 right now.

Q: You have been doing the workout program that Iowa sent you. How has that gone for you?

NELSON: It's been good. I have been doing in for a while now and I think it has improved my strength and I am excited to finally get to work on it with the coaches soon.

Q: It seems like this recruiting class is pretty close, especially the in-state guys. What's your bond like with them?

NELSON: Yeah, I see a lot of them at events and talk to those guys there. We stay in fairly close communication, so I would say we are pretty good friends coming in. I look forward to getting to know all of them better this summer.

Q: What's your weight at right now?

NELSON: I'm up to 225 now.

Q: You were at spring practice a few times. What did you watch and what did you learn?

NELSON: I just watched how they do things and how Coach Morgan and all the coaches work their players and communicate with them. I also watched the drills that they do with the players. I was impressed by how all the players were bought into what they were doing and how hard they worked.

Q: This might not be a fair comparison, but Matt Nelson, who is a redshirt freshman, has a somewhat similar build to your frame, taller and needing to add bulk to your body. Have you talked to him and do you watch him more closely?

NELSON: I talked to him on my visits and try to learn from him. I don't really compare myself to anyone. I just try to focus on myself and try to get better as an individual. He's a great player and hopefully I can be good as well.

Q: When do you graduate and when are you going to arrive in Iowa City this summer?

NELSON: I am graduating on the 18th of May and heading to start summer school in early June.

Q: Are you getting anxious to get started and what do you hope to accomplish this summer?

NELSON: I am excited to get there. It will be a new experience for me. I hope to have a smooth transition to college and get comfortable living there, learn the workouts, and get to know some of the guys coming in and the guys that are already there.

Q: Have they told you what number you will be wearing?

NELSON: They told me I will be wearing #98.

Q: As you reflect back on the last year and the recruiting process, what was it like for you?

NELSON: I would say the best way to describe it was that it was different. It was probably not something I will ever do again. It was a lot of fun, but it was also stressful. There were a lot of things that you have to think about, but you just have to try and enjoy it. Looking back on it now, I am glad I got the opportunity and I feel like I ended up at the right place.

Q: What are you looking forward to the most about being a Hawkeye?

NELSON: I am looking forward to being a student-athlete and hopefully representing the University of Iowa very well on and off the field.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News