ADVERTISEMENT

Anthony Nelson

Eternal Return

HR Heisman
Oct 15, 2009
With the unbelievable run on defensive linemen in the first round, it seems like A. Nelson could really benefit. You never know because teams might start gobbling up OL, CBs, and WRs in the second, but I would be surprised if he isn't drafted on Day 2. I was thinking 4th round for him before the run on DL. Now could be 2nd or 3rd. Am I off on thinking that?

Reactions: cmhawks99
With the unbelievable run on defensive linemen in the first round, it seems like A. Nelson could really benefit. You never know because teams might start gobbling up OL, CBs, and WRs in the second, but I would be surprised if he isn't drafted on Day 2. I was thinking 4th round for him before the run on DL. Now could be 2nd or 3rd. Am I off on thinking that?

No, I think 2-3 round was probably the feedback he received from the league when he was exploring his options. Not a flashy player like some of these first rounders but extremely productive, long and well rounded. Wouldn't be shocked to see him off the board at the end of the second, but certainly in the 3rd. Would love to see the hawkeye pipeline continue to Denver with ANelson, big need on the defensive line and he would be a great fit with their extra 2nd round pick acquired last night or their 3rd rd pick this evening. I suspect Nelson is viewed much more favorably by GM's and scouting departments than these mock drafters that are sheep with no real credentials to analyze and project drafts beyond their own fandom.

Reactions: Eternal Return
I guess he left this year for two reasons:

- a 2nd or 3rd round grade could be perceived as his draft ceiling, so staying one more year wouldn't vault him him into the first round anyway

- it was reported how tight he was with the other DL - Matt, Parker, & Sam. Possibly it just felt like the right time to move on with his line-mates leaving, and 4 years at Iowa was enough for him

The main reason was he is done with his degree, coming back would just be to play football and take a few obsolete classes. He is a late 3rd rounder and that was his cieling.

I think both Nelson and Hooker could get picked in the second half on the 3rd round.
Didn't happen, but not a big surprise. Just too hard to predict what teams are going to do the deeper the draft goes.

The NFL wants to encourage players to enter the draft, as it gives every team more options. I wouldn’t surprise me if the NFL evaluators give 100 2nd round grades, even though the are only 32 2nd round selections.

The NFL wants to encourage players to enter the draft, as it gives every team more options. I wouldn’t surprise me if the NFL evaluators give 100 2nd round grades, even though the are only 32 2nd round selections.
Your off on that typically a teams draft board is 150 players. Typically a teams only give out about 15-17 first round grades. Second round they hand out closer to 20-25 second round grades.

I hope he gets drafted as early as he can and hope that he makes it in the league. But I have to be honest, I am not quite sure why he decided to go this year with all the defensive lineman out there. It just seems that's going to make it really hard for him. I understand the draft grade he was given, but still.
If only CFB had the same rule as CBB and allow guys that go undrafted to return.

IMHO....if you leave early and don't make it in the first three rounds you probably didn't make the best football decision. I'm with Saban on this one. Nelson and Hooker left a lot of guaranteed money on the table last night. Best of luck to them, they still may have great careers, but to me it's a lot like Cook. No way he gets drafted. At most he's a G leaguer.

IMHO....if you leave early and don't make it in the first three rounds you probably didn't make the best football decision. I'm with Saban on this one. Nelson and Hooker left a lot of guaranteed money on the table last night. Best of luck to them, they still may have great careers, but to me it's a lot like Cook. No way he gets drafted. At most he's a G leaguer.
I don’t think Cook will ever be an NBA player, but can have a great career elsewhere. I do think Hooker and Nelson can play in the NFL, however. Probably more potential for Hooker.

Reactions: Hawkeye_Pride06
This is correct about past the 3rd round if you come out early. You won’t make serious money until 3-4 years later if you are still in the league and perform well during your rookie contract.

I still remember when Tyler Sash got bad advice and left early only to be drafted in the 7th round. 3 years later on the league minimum he was done. Did win a super bowl though.

I believe CTE or any other injury plays a part in these decisions. I would bet that these players understand all the risks to their health they are taking to play this game. Every game they play is a game closer to their last game. Why play any of them for free? The analytic people put numbers to everything and I’m sure this is something players know. Of course Saban would say a fourth rounder should come back because it is in his best interest. He is not risking injury or his career. I have never heard Ferentz put a round to it but maybe he has.

Can't speak for Sash's era, but currently the league minimum is $480,000/year. #1 overall pick gets a deal around $30mil over 4-years, #32 (last 1st-rounder) gets about $10mil over the same span. I believe the contracts are for 3-years (non-guaranteed) after the 1st round. Josh Jackson got $1.5/year as a 2nd rounder, Josey about half that in the 4th round. My point is, Nelson and Hooker are gonna get paid. Maybe another year would have raised their stock, but as long as they make a roster it's hard to question their decision.

I said before the draft. Both these guys made a dollars and cents mistake. They will make rosters but lose out on $$$$$. Leaving early is all about the money. The NFL told them 2 or 3 round. The problem is NFL compares them to seniors. When 140 or so under classmen declare for draft it changes the numbers. I wish them the best.

Welp, the run on DL ended and the run on CBs and OL started. Hell, there were very few DL taken in 2nd and 3rd rounds. I don't know where this leaves A. Nelson, but now I think he could fall into the fifth round (maybe even sixth? yikes!). The draft is such a crapshoot depending on teams needs, trades, and guys slipping, team's reaching, etc.

This is correct about past the 3rd round if you come out early. You won’t make serious money until 3-4 years later if you are still in the league and perform well during your rookie contract.

I still remember when Tyler Sash got bad advice and left early only to be drafted in the 7th round. 3 years later on the league minimum he was done. Did win a super bowl though.

Quite a bit more to that story...First Sash ran like a 4.63-40 if memory serves, although I have pointed out many times including a thread last night that’s still plenty fast enough for a physical hard-hitting NFL safety. But the bigger issue was Tyler had significant shoulder issues and felt like his clock was ticking… At least that’s what I’ve read.

There’s no guarantee they improve their draft position with another year. Nelson will have or has his degree so why not go make money while you can playing football. Hooker makes sense to me, I don’t think he’ll be on the board long today. To me they’re making the best decision for themselves and most likely had KF’s blessing. Most fans who criticize it are only looking at how it impacts their favorite college team.

Mid 3rd to mid 4th looks like the range he slots in to.

I'm betting Nelson goes to the Patriots in the fourth round (#118 overall/ #16 in 4th) as The Pats have three 4th round pick and the pass rush DE from Michigan only part of the Pats' DE needs. Pats want a DT as well but other teams will pick ahead of them. Nelson benefits them LT.

They should have stayed

I'll be the first to admit I was wrong about the draft slot for Hooker, really thought he would be gone by now and if betting, would have thought Nelson was off the board by the end of the 3rd too. With that being said, not sure its so easy or cut and dry to definitively say they should have come back. Each case is different and while its possible they would have improved their draft stock returning, its also possible they don't improve their draft stock and worst case scenario they suffer a significant injury. Lets say these two are the last two picks of the 4th round, they would still be receiving a contract that is north of 3million dollars with a signing bonus of about a half million...how can anyone suggest that is a bad decision? The majority of us on this board and the majority of the worlds population would jump at that type of opportunity and football players have a very short lifespan. If they are fortunate enough to get to their second contract a year early, then this really becomes a wash in my mind. Even the last pick in the 6th round is projected to get a signing bonus of around 127k and contract around 2.5mil provided they make the team, which odds dropped quite a bit if I recall after the 4th round. As much as I'd love to have Hooker and Nelson back next year, still don't blame them for jumping at the opportunity and getting started with their pro career. There are couple teams today that are going to get really good players in the 4th round and suspect both Nelson and Hooker will have very nice careers in the NFL.

They should have stayed
Agreed ...if you're not slotted first or second that's when you come back and fully enjoy your college days...which you'll never get back. Plus, you can increase your draft value.

I guess if you're family is in a more dire financial situation and you're pretty much guaranteed to be drafted in the mid-rounds and pick up at least some signing bonus money then sure, you gotta do what you gotta do for your blood. Otherwise, doesn't make sense to come out early.

Also, in the case of the Iowa kids (Nelson/Hooker), they could've made a real difference with next season. I think we go from a solid contender for the division to a favorite to win the division and conference contender.

Agreed ...if you're not slotted first or second that's when you come back and fully enjoy your college days...which you'll never get back. Plus, you can increase your draft value.

I guess if you're family is in a more dire financial situation and you're pretty much guaranteed to be drafted in the mid-rounds and pick up at least some signing bonus money then sure, you gotta do what you gotta do for your blood. Otherwise, doesn't make sense to come out early.

Also, in the case of the Iowa kids (Nelson/Hooker), they could've made a real difference with next season. I think we go from a solid contender for the division to a favorite to win the division and conference contender.

I don't know, I see a lot of folks saying Hooker and Nelson made a mistake because they fell to round 4. Maybe the feedback they got, just due to measurables or other limitations, was that they were basically at their ceiling and another year wasn't going to change that.

The thing is, we don't know. We all look at it from the fan perspective and of course would have liked them in Hawkeye uniforms next year.

I don't know, I see a lot of folks saying Hooker and Nelson made a mistake because they fell to round 4. Maybe the feedback they got, just due to measurables or other limitations, was that they were basically at their ceiling and another year wasn't going to change that.

The thing is, we don't know. We all look at it from the fan perspective and of course would have liked them in Hawkeye uniforms next year.
Good point, I get it ...plus there's always the injury concern if they come back next year.

I guess I just feel that since they're currently not looking at "big time life changing $$" (and their family doesn't urgently need it) it would make sense to maximize your college days ...and if they come back, play well...(plus lead the Hawks to some glory)...they'll be better off.

Reactions: FranklinHawk

so you would pass up a signing bonus of 500k and a first year salary of about 1,000,000 just so you could fully enjoy your college days? Didn't your college days consist of drinking way too much and sleeping through morning class more often than not? Of course these two could have made a huge difference for Iowa next year, that isn't the debate or question here. You go to college to learn and put yourself in a position to earn a living and that is what Nelson and Hooker have done. Nelson is a fourth year junior, three time academic all conference and I believe already has his degree. Its in his best interest to get started with his pro career, I'm not sure he is the type of guy that is going to be a combine freak and dramatically improve his draft stock, he is just a sturdy/solid football player that will contribute and barring injury have a nice long career.

Good point, I get it ...plus there's always the injury concern if they come back next year.

I guess I just feel that since they're currently not looking at "big time life changing $$" (and their family doesn't urgently need it) it would make sense to maximize your college days ...and if they come back, play well...(plus lead the Hawks to some glory)...they'll be better off.

a signing bonus of 500k and first year salary of $1,000,000 is life changing money if you do it right.

ADVERTISEMENT