ADVERTISEMENT

Any advice for disposing of lawn mower and snow blower?

Mountain Man Hawk

HR Heisman
Gold Member
Mar 30, 2010
So I have an old snow blower that won’t start anymore and I’m sure it’s worth less than it would cost to repair it so it’s been sitting in the corner of my garage collecting dust for forever. And my lawn mower is now giving out as well so it’s become a big enough problem I need to deal with it.

In googling it, this appears to be a fairly annoying process to get rid of these things. I called a junk removal company but they won’t take these until they are dry of oil and gas. So I guess I need to buy a pump and siphon out all the gas and oil before I can get rid of these things. I was able to keep the lawn mower running long enough that it ran out of gas but it still has oil in it. And the snow blower won’t start at all.

Anyway, just curious how everyone else has dealt with this and if there is an easier way I haven’t yet thought of. Thanks.

So I have an old snow blower that won’t start anymore and I’m sure it’s worth less than it would cost to repair it so it’s been sitting in the corner of my garage collecting dust for forever. And my lawn mower is now giving out as well so it’s become a big enough problem I need to deal with it.

In googling it, this appears to be a fairly annoying process to get rid of these things. I called a junk removal company but they won’t take these until they are dry of oil and gas. So I guess I need to buy a pump and siphon out all the gas and oil before I can get rid of these things. I was able to keep the lawn mower running long enough that it ran out of gas but it still has oil in it. And the snow blower won’t start at all.

Anyway, just curious how everyone else has dealt with this and if there is an easier way I haven’t yet thought of. Thanks.

I took ours to a small engine repair shop and they took them off my hands for the parts. No dump fee and front yard looks spectacular.

Combo of two things already mentioned - put it on the curb with a "free" sign and then take a picture of that and post on NextDoor or whatever. It'll be gone before you can pour your next beer.

Put them on a marketplace for free and watch the poors line up.
Yep.
We had an old snowblower that didn’t work, just sitting in my garage. Put it on FB marketplace saying “Doesn’t work. Free. You come pick up.” It was spoken for within 5 minutes.

Yep, put it online for free, guys who either need the parts or rehab them will snap them up.

There are loads of guys whose business is to take a non-running snowblower and get it running and donate it or model depending will do a full refurb on it and sell it.

any small engine repair will take them but they can also get them running in no time.

I had a tiller that was fixed up in no time.

Put mine out for Mayor's Day in Coralville. They were gone in less than an hour.

Jack knifes left a wood pallet I can't get rid of.

So you took them out to the country and dumped them in a ditch? Nice

I believe they needed blue font for those posts - but there is a bit of truth to it.

Lately I cannot help but notice Iowa has a severe junk and garbage issue. It is the biggest thing that currently pisses me off about this state.

It's disgusting really...

I believe they needed blue font for those posts - but there is a bit of truth to it.

Lately I cannot help but notice Iowa has a severe junk and garbage issue. It is the biggest thing that currently pisses me off about this state.

It's disgusting really...
I agree, I grew up in a small town in Iowa and you see it out in the country and I just shake my head. I will say it's not just an Iowa problem though it's pretty much national. Drove to Arkansas this summer, down there people through garbage out all over the place it seemed.

The roadside if I can't fix. Always gone before I notice. I like the idea of donating to a Highschool small engines class.

Last edited:
Put them on a marketplace for free and watch the poors line up.
There is usually someone on Facebook swap sites looking for broken down mowers, appliances. Could just put it on curb with a FREE sign attached to it. Depending where you live it could be gone in seconds.

Thanks all for the advice. As suggested, I put it on the local Facebook marketplace as broken but free and 6 minutes later somebody took them both.

200.gif

Inhave the same dilemma right now. I guess I'll take it to the curb with a note tonight.

BTW, I broke down an purchased a Cub riding mower this summer and I love it.

I talked to the guy who takes our trash about an old water heater. He said he charges $25 to pick them up but he also said put it on the curb and someone will take it. Literally gone before the next morning.

if I hung a free sign on a snow thrower or mower and put it on the curb it would be gone in 2 minutes.

ADVERTISEMENT