ADVERTISEMENT

Any Floridian Shark experts here?

ICWestfan

HB Legend
May 26, 2005
I see three people got chomped on this weekend, like 4 miles apart. On of the ladies really got messed up, lost an arm below the elbow and suffered massive wounds to her thigh and pelvic region (no pic). In reading one of the stories, they said all three were in waist deep water, and were in front of the first sandbar. I've always heard that when in the gulf, you never wade or swim in the water between the first and second sandbars as that is where all the bait fish hang out, obviously as well as sharks. Is that wrong, or are these attacks just anomalies?

My understanding is that the woman who lost part of her arm was beyond the first sandbar and the two teenage girls were close to the sandbar.

The younger victim also lost an arm. I live in the area. It's must likely a few bull sharks. Not some Jaws rogue shark that we should hunt and kill. I am in the medical field as a prosthetist. They are already being treated. One in stable condition and the other still in serious.

It's the sharks ocean. If you ever see videos from drones, planes, or helicopters you will commonly see sharks swimming around those in the water. Most people just don't know they are there.

If you go out on any of the fishing piers you can see dozens of sharks in the six to eight range on some days. Just in toward the beach from the sharks are the swimmers. The real question is why this doesn’t happen more often.

When I was in San Diego last week, a great white baby chomped on a guy. When I was in the Maldives, my brother caught a trigger fish and a reef shark made short work of that. We wound up with a fish head connected to a hook.

We were at the beach all last week and saw lot of fish, dolphins and manatees

Most came within 10 feet from us too

It’s shocked that this doesn’t happen more often

We were boating and fishing around Manasota Key all weekend and spotted a few hammerheads.

Do they eat coconuts?
Probably. They've been found to have license plates in their belly.

They are everywhere, all the time. If there are bluefish in the area, they will be attracted to the bluefish. Bluefish tend to feed in shallow water, and bluefish will bite anything that moves.

I would think that you're pretty safe from falling coconuts if you're in the ocean and pretty safe from sharks if you're standing under a coconut tree.
Look up the stats. There is also a higher chance of dieing from a falling toilet seat. I don't make the rules here.

Reactions: HawCory
Look up the stats. There is also a higher chance of dieing from a falling toilet seat. I don't make the rules here.
Maybe you should be making the rules. I feel like we would all be safer and able to sleep better at night with coconut(and shark) free dreams. I'm not going to even think about a shark catching me off guard on the toilet.

• Haha
Reactions: ericram
I bet there are millions of people who walk under coconut trees, but not me, so I have a sense my odds are different.
Count me as safe from falling coconuts too.

This is how I dress for the beach(that's not me, that's my hat):

14385248-man-with-hard-hat-and-loudspeaker-on-beach.jpg

• Haha
We don't really have a second sandbar here any more.

Hurricanes Opal, Erin, and Ivan tore a lot of both sandbars down.

It used to be at low tide the first sandbar would only be ankle or knee depth and the second waist to chest depth. You could wade out to the second and fish there. It was always dicey.

There have always been tons of sharks out there.

Like mentioned above, I'm kind of curious if the Orcas in the area recently are having an affect on shark behaviors.

Reactions: goldmom
The younger victim also lost an arm. I live in the area. It's must likely a few bull sharks. Not some Jaws rogue shark that we should hunt and kill. I am in the medical field as a prosthetist. They are already being treated. One in stable condition and the other still in serious.

It's the sharks ocean. If you ever see videos from drones, planes, or helicopters you will commonly see sharks swimming around those in the water. Most people just don't know they are there.
This.
New Smyrna Beach (south of Daytona) has lots of sharks but the swimmers and surfers still come in droves.
The Tampa Bay beaches when seen from the air are full of sharks.
I enjoy the beach up to my ankles.

Reactions: Tom Paris
My kids used to do shore fishing at Jax Beach and the number of smaller juvenile sharks they’d reel in were amazing.
Shark attacks off Cali beaches as well as Jersey shore have already occurred this year as well.

Reactions: Tom Paris
A MILF at the gym was freaking out about her upcoming trip to Destin. I told her there will be 100,000 people in the water, and maybe 2 get bit, so, roll with it.

Parts of the Brothers river are over 50' deep.
People have seen bull sharks miles up that river.
Guys dive for old cypress in that same river system.
Not for me.
On a swamp tour outside of New Orleans our guide said he was more fearful of the bull sharks, if he fell in, than the gators.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT