ADVERTISEMENT

Any HORT ballers with Atrial Fibrillation?

jasonrann

HB Legend
Apr 11, 2007
So I have been dealing with it for about 15 years. I have had to go to the ER for cardioversion 7-8 times during that period, most recently, yesterday. That was after one about five weeks ago too. The cardiologist I'm working with strongly recommended the ablation surgery so I am going to bite the bullet and do that on October 23rd. Curious if any of you have had it and what your experience has been? Also, any recovery time needed? I am looking forward to getting off all the medication and hopefully, no more ER visits.

TIA.

One of my best friends was having a problem with it. He had the ablation surgery a couple of weeks ago to fix it.

It sounds like it was super easy and fast, and I guess so far it's worked.

I think his recovery time was like a week (maybe less) before he was back out driving around and working.

"At home after the procedure:
  • Most people can return to normal activities within a few days after leaving the hospital.
  • Don't do heavy physical activity for a few days.
  • Don't drive for 48 hours after the procedure.
  • You may have a small bruise from the catheter insertion. If the insertion site starts to bleed, press down on it and call your provider."

One of my best friends was having a problem with it. He had the ablation surgery a couple of weeks ago to fix it.

It sounds like it was super easy and fast, and I guess so far it's worked.

I think his recovery time was like a week (maybe less) before he was back out driving around and working.

"At home after the procedure:
  • Most people can return to normal activities within a few days after leaving the hospital.
  • Don't do heavy physical activity for a few days.
  • Don't drive for 48 hours after the procedure.
  • You may have a small bruise from the catheter insertion. If the insertion site starts to bleed, press down on it and call your provider."
Much appreciated.

I know there are a lot of resources online, but I have found firsthand accounts to be much more helpful. I have spoken with a couple people that had it and they only needed a day or two to get back into the swing of things. Thanks for sharing!

I was diagnosed with it this summer. My PCP first noticed an occasional “skip beat” back in February. Then in June I noticed while checking my BP at home that my monitor indicated an irregular heartbeat. So we did an EKG and it confirmed a-fib.

I had cardioversion a few weeks later and it worked great…for two days. I have a followup with my cardiologist in a couple weeks. They have mentioned ablation as an option but haven’t urged it yet. I’m not too keen on doing it. It might very well be a good option but the idea of intentionally damaging part of my heart seems counterintuitive to me.

Reactions: jasonrann
i had cardioversion 3 years ago for afib, havnt had to have it again since. i take some meds to keep it in line. the Afib subreddit has some good info and good 1st hand reports about ablation, both good and bad.

I was diagnosed with it this summer. My PCP first noticed an occasional “skip beat” back in February. Then in June I noticed while checking my BP at home that my monitor indicated an irregular heartbeat. So we did an EKG and it confirmed a-fib.

I had cardioversion a few weeks later and it worked great…for two days. I have a followup with my cardiologist in a couple weeks. They have mentioned ablation as an option but haven’t urged it yet. I’m not too keen on doing it. It might very well be a good option but the idea of intentionally damaging part of my heart seems counterintuitive to me.
After years of dealing with it, I think I'm ready for the surgery. As I understand it, it basically comes down to an electrical "short" in the heart and the point of the surgery is to go in and zap it to essentially shut it off. I have been on five different medications over the years, sometimes as many as four at a time. I hate taking pills, especially when there is no guarantee of predictable results.

After years of dealing with it, I think I'm ready for the surgery. As I understand it, it basically comes down to an electrical "short" in the heart and the point of the surgery is to go in and zap it to essentially shut it off. I have been on five different medications over the years, sometimes as many as four at a time. I hate taking pills, especially when there is no guarantee of predictable results.
What symptoms do you have? If I’m just sitting around doing nothing I don’t really feel any different. The only time I notice a difference is shortness of breath after physical exertion and I get exhausted on really hot days. Now that we’re almost into October the heat isn’t really an issue for the next few months.

For me, it's all or nothing. When my heart is in normal rhythm, I am fine. My heart rate is around 55-60 bpm, no issues with exercise or everyday life. When I am in AFib, my heart rate bounces between 80-140 bpm. It is extremely uncomfortable and dangerous because of the stroke risk. I can get short of breath and light-headed and have had multiple collapses and fainting spells until recently. The medication costs money and then there is the issue of going to the ER. With a $3,000 deductible, unless I go twice in one year, like this year, it is basically $3,000 a trip. The surgery would get me off medication after the initial 2-3 months and supposedly eliminates 98% of AFib recurrences.

Not AFIB, but I had an ablation about 10 years ago for SVT. My HR would jump from 160 to 220 in an instant during a run. I would feel it then my watch would jump up. At first I could walk and recover within 30 seconds, then be good for the rest of the run. It eventually got to the point where it took 30-45 minutes to recover. Had the ablation and it has never happened again. I actually had it done twice. The first one they aborted because there was a blood clot in my heart. Maybe caused by the equipment, I don't know. The second one was 3 weeks later. Recovery was not bad. You do get your doodads shaved by a nurse, so that's a plus.

Not AFIB, but I had an ablation about 10 years ago for SVT. My HR would jump from 160 to 220 in an instant during a run. I would feel it then my watch would jump up. At first I could walk and recover within 30 seconds, then be good for the rest of the run. It eventually got to the point where it took 30-45 minutes to recover. Had the ablation and it has never happened again. I actually had it done twice. The first one they aborted because there was a blood clot in my heart. Maybe caused by the equipment, I don't know. The second one was 3 weeks later. Recovery was not bad. You do get your doodads shaved by a nurse, so that's a plus.
George Costanza Flirting GIF by MOODMAN

• Haha
Reactions: BrianNole777
I have had it since I was in my early 20's. First time I got it was during a basketball game when I landed after a rebound. Quick jolt and felt like a heart attack. Eventually it went back into rhythm about an hour later. Happened again a couple of other times before I knew what it was. Finally diagnosed around 2003 and have been on Metroprolol ever since without ever converting over again. No surgeries

So I have been dealing with it for about 15 years. I have had to go to the ER for cardioversion 7-8 times during that period, most recently, yesterday. That was after one about five weeks ago too. The cardiologist I'm working with strongly recommended the ablation surgery so I am going to bite the bullet and do that on October 23rd. Curious if any of you have had it and what your experience has been? Also, any recovery time needed? I am looking forward to getting off all the medication and hopefully, no more ER visits.

TIA.
I had ablation surgery four years ago. No A-fib or tachycardia since. No medication since. I had a loop recorder installed to catch and track instances of A-fib. It’s since run out of battery and I’m not having it replaced as no need for it.

Oh ok.

Just wondering as my daughter is in Iowa City and has been doing a lot with AFib.

Actually did a research presentation this summer on it at a health conference.

Anyways, she said it’s super common, pretty low risk, and most people don’t even stay the night in the hospital.
Exactly what my doctor said. He is a classic German dude, direct to the point. He says "you are young, you are strong, let's get you off all these pills huh?" He is the premier guy in the region I guess. I am on four medications currently. Getting a little ridiculous.

Reactions: HawkMachine
I have had multiple heart rhythm issues for the past 20 years. Two years ago I had my 3rd ablation at the Mayo Clinic in Phoenix. Go to the best doctor you can find. The Mayo Clinic I highly recommend.

My 55 year old BIL has dealt with it for 20 years and goes in November for his fourth ablation. He has heart failure also and got a pacemaker last December. He is one that can’t tell when it’s out, but sometimes it will be 150-180.

My 55 year old BIL has dealt with it for 20 years and goes in November for his fourth ablation. He has heart failure also and got a pacemaker last December. He is one that can’t tell when it’s out, but sometimes it will be 150-180.
Well I guess I am fortunate from that standpoint at least. I can tell the second it goes out. I have done all of the tests and structurally, I have no issues with my heart. Just hoping this provides a better overall solution.

Do any of you guys use KardiaMobile or similar products to do EKGs at home? I just saw my cardiologist today and he recommended that I get one. Any certain products that work well or ones to avoid?

Do any of you guys use KardiaMobile or similar products to do EKGs at home? I just saw my cardiologist today and he recommended that I get one. Any certain products that work well or ones to avoid?
I can actually do them on my smart phone. It confirmed AFib the last two times I had to go in.

Reactions: TJ8869
Ive had two about 15 years apart with every med in between. Control your lifestyle factors and definiely get the ablation. Experience of who is doing it is important but you will be improved if not cured - for now. It is a progressive condition but the sooner the better to break long term heart affects. Probably get off the blood thinners and meds too. Good luck, procedure no biggie, some risks. Little pain typically.

Yes have used kardia. Not bad. Also had implantable link (medtronic) for seversl years. Records everything with no guessing. Just a small incision to insert, last 2 years. Small monthly monitoring fee. Gold standard for tracking.

Reactions: TJ8869
Ordered a KardiaMobile 6L tonight and should be receiving it on Thursday. Looks like a pretty useful device with really good reviews

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT