ADVERTISEMENT

Any HROTERs Homeschool Their Kids?

The best answers:
1 I’m lonely and I need someone to keep me company at home.
2 I’m super religious... must manage access to information because if they don’t think like me we’ll never meet in heaven
3 I’m socially awkward so my child couldn’t possible survive.
4 I’m a control freak
5 I’m narcissistic and can do everything better than anyone else.

It’s a symptom of A problem that a certain group has because they feel like they are losing their 1950’s view of the United States.

Reactions: joelbc1
Which of those is wrong? If you really thought you could homeschool your kid, you would supplement what they learned in school.

Now if safety is your main concern, more power to you.

The district refuses to accept my dogs which I consider my children so I have to homeschool them. They also teach that the earth is round and that dinosaurs roamed it so I'm glad the dogs get to avoid that. If the earth was round how did dinosaurs go extinct? Check and nate round earthers.

Last edited:
I know one family that home schools. The mother(no pics) does the teaching and they do a lot of "field trips" where they are out in the community for their lessons.The kids seem to enjoy it and don't fit the stereotype of home schooled kids at all(lack of social skills, etc.).

10gb3pu.png

Mine's too young, and I married a teacher. Either way, absolutely not. Why would I think I could educate them better than someone trained in educating young minds? As I've learned along the way, just because someone is smart and went to school a long time, it doesn't mean they can necessarily teach that to someone else.

And Bulldogs assessment is accurate for the few home schooled kids I know.

Mine's too young, and I married a teacher. Either way, absolutely not. Why would I think I could educate them better than someone trained in educating young minds? As I've learned along the way, just because someone is smart and went to school a long time, it doesn't mean they can necessarily teach that to someone else.

Pic of teacher wife?

Awful lot of judging going on in this thread.

Homeschooling gets a bad name, because it usually involves weirdo parents. The kids it does a disservice for probably never had a chance to be normal anyways. There is a right way to do it though.

By the way - no I do not and would never home school

Weird, i feel the same way about "doctors"

Awful lot of judging going on in this thread.

Homeschooling gets a bad name, because it usually involves weirdo parents. The kids it does a disservice for probably never had a chance to be normal anyways. There is a right way to do it though.

By the way - no I do not and would never home school
I only know one home schooled kid through my son’s Sports he is a complete douche. Extremely narcissistic and if the point of homeschooling was to make him a better Christian and human being they have failed.

Reasons people homeschool that haven't been listed:
  • In the military, and tired of pulling kids out and putting them into new schools every couple years.
  • Concerns about the level of education they receive in public schools.
  • Their child is a slow learner, and their kid falls further and further behind if they're "main-streamed," so they pull them.
Social concerns are real IMO, given my extensive exposure to homeschoolers through work. Academically, homeschool is more effective than public school, as homeschoolers, on average score well above the average on state mandated exams (in states that mandate them, some would rather not expose it). I'm not sure how homeschool academically compares to private school on average.

Here's the thing about public schools though. Cities typically bring down the averages significantly for public schools. If you're in a rural area, chances are your schools are still pretty decent. Parenting is really important, no matter where your kid goes to school.

I could (and did) home school my kids. They learned the 4Priorities in life are 1) Smoking....2) Swearing......3) Drinking...and 4) Family. And “family” isn’t really a close #4. I did a helluva job teaching these life skills. Thankfully, my kids weren’t really great students.

Homeschooling kids is fine but those some small government/hands off my family types seem all to happy to allow their kids in public schools for music/sports /enrichment when it suits them. Screw that, you want your kid learning the violin? Better start practicing mom!

Reactions: HawkBlocked
I would be ok with homeschooling if testing were required for the kids, with in home visits, and a competency test for the parent.
If you want to go against the societal norm fine you should be willing to be monitored. Our country determined a long time ago that an education was a vital national interest and should still be treated as such.

Reactions: JWolf74
I would be ok with homeschooling if testing were required for the kids, with in home visits, and a competency test for the parent.
If you want to go against the societal norm fine you should be willing to be monitored. Our country determined a long time ago that an education was a vital national interest and should still be treated as such.
I think it is terrible regardless of test scores for many reasons. Socialization cannot be stressed enough at all ages. And as the kids get older, can mom really effectively teach chemistry, calculus, AP english, physics, etc? Then there are all of the sports and activities the kids miss out on. I realize there are smart kids who are home schooled that score well on standardized tests and are accepted at good universities/colleges, but those kids were going to succeed regardless of where they were schooled. They would have been better prepared for life and well-rounded getting professional instruction/teaching with peers and then reinforced/supplemented by momonardo devinci at home.

How many homeschooled kids have you known?
Half dozen or so... starting from when I was a kid in Key West. That one was a girl (no pic) in the n'hood. She dropped out of college in the 2nd quarter. In Atlanta I worked with 2 people who were apparently long time friends outside of our company and they home-schooled their kids together. Although I didn't ask why they homeschooled, all of them were hyper-religious.

I love my kids far too much to homeschool them.

This...at the very least send them to private school so they can get some peer to peer interaction.

I coached a kid on our baseball team that was home schooled. Great kid but he certainly had time relating and interacting with the others, I think this is common of many home schooled children.

Reactions: dgordo
This...at the very least send them to private school so they can get some peer to peer interaction.

I coached a kid on our baseball team that was home schooled. Great kid but he certainly had time relating and interacting with the others, I think this is common of many home schooled children.
This, except the kid didn't exhibit any behavior I would deem great. Extremely braggadocios, selfish, and delusional. My son gets along with almost everyone and he can't stand him. His dad is the same way so I think if he spent more time away from his parents during his formative years and was exposed to friends/peers he would have been at least more normal.

I have serious concerns that the gop'ers will push and pass a bill that will give money to homeschoolers. This will incentivize some to keep their kids home and sit them in front of a computer to collect more $$. If you think we have people that see their kid as a paycheck already, what do you think it will be like if that happens. Pulling money out of public schools so people can isolate their kids will not solve problems it will just make them bigger.
Part of what makes this country great is the public school system. We minimize the gap between the poor and rich with an education, so it is vital that it be done right. Public schools give kids a chance to interact with their peers without the buffer of their parents. Our society has become very set on political correctness, we have parents that would rather shelter their kids than allow them small failures or heaven forbid learn things that will make them question what they know and have been taught.
It becomes very easy to segregate people when they isolate themselves to people with their own viewpoints. Are you ok with kids staying home so their parents can collect a check, teach extremist religious views? You start paying parents to keep their kids home, that is what will happen. And for our GOP friends, this will also have to apply to other religions. It's not just the Duggars of the world that will pop paychecks out to homeschool and shape their minds with religion, there will be muslims and jews that will do the same.

Maybe they look at the public education system and think, "Holy shit! We can't do any worse than that."

Here's the thing...

Public schools on the whole (and I will even lump in formal private schools and charter schools) are successful with some glaring issues that need to be addressed.

Conversely, Homeschooling on the whole is not successful with some instances of really great results that are held up to divert attention from the deeply flawed situation.

I worked for a guy who homeschooled his kids and was part of a "quiver full" church. It was not a good situation.

• In the military, and tired of pulling kids out and putting them into new schools every couple years.
  • Their child is a slow learner, and their kid falls further and further behind if they're "main-streamed," so they pull them.
Social concerns are real IMO, given my extensive exposure to homeschoolers through work. Academically, homeschool is more effective than public school, as homeschoolers, on average score well above the average on state mandated exams (in states that mandate them, some would rather not expose it). I'm not sure how homeschool academically compares to private school on average.

Here's the thing about public schools though. Cities typically bring down the averages significantly for public schools. If you're in a rural area, chances are your schools are still pretty decent. Parenting is really important, no matter where your kid goes to school.

I don't home school but this would be my reason #1. If you are around or work in public education in the modern area, there is more time spent on behavior issues and correction than actual learning in a large amount of classrooms.

Last sentence...nailed it! My wife is a teacher and she has taught in public schools and now 1/2 year in a private school. There is simply NO COMPARISON to the level of parenting in her current school, vastly SUPERIOR, than some of the public school situations that she experienced.

Every day for her now is a dream job scenario, as the students are almost perfectly behaved and she can devote 100% of her efforts on...wait for it...teaching. Whereas it was common in a public school situation, even in what are considered "good districts", to have 1-6 very undisciplined students. Too often, 50%-90% of her efforts were directed to managing the ne'er do wells...while the other 15-20 reasonably well behaved kids effectively waited for their teacher to get free from the hassle of constantly correcting the poorly behaved ones.

I support a parents right to home school their children, but I also kind of wish they would send their kids to school with everyone else too. (I guess I am a bit conflicted on that. o_O) I agree that most home school kids are fine academically, but often socially awkward.

Homeschooling kids is fine but those some small government/hands off my family types seem all to happy to allow their kids in public schools for music/sports /enrichment when it suits them. Screw that, you want your kid learning the violin? Better start practicing mom!

FYI, the home school parents are also paying the same taxes to support schools that non-home school parents do. In that sense, they have every right to use those facilities as anyone else does.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT