ADVERTISEMENT

Any ideas on when we find out for sure if Brian Ferentz will be OC in 2023?

I have heard Brian staying (not a shock). The rationale is that Kirk is gonna take the bullet for holding Brian back and being conservative. Kirk will suggest that this season Brian will have free rein in play calling and no more training wheels.
I’d like to see that. Kirk let him do whatever he wants for play design and calling.

Reactions: Bishop1971
I have heard Brian staying (not a shock). The rationale is that Kirk is gonna take the bullet for holding Brian back and being conservative. Kirk will suggest that this season Brian will have free rein in play calling and no more training wheels.
Maybe Kirk will take the bullet for "holding Brian back", maybe not. Doesn't sound like something he would do.

As for suggesting Brian will have free reign.....he MIGHT suggest that, but it will only be an attempt to placate fans. Next fall will likely be more of the same.

Also....my belief is that Brian already calls the plays (maybe with a few exceptions).

We need to start a thread for potential press conference questions that would be serious for any offensive coordinator but not in our situation. I’ll start:
“Brian this will be your seventh year in charge of the Iowa offense. What’s been the key to your longevity and success??” 😊
Iowa is the only P5 school in the country that would tolerate this level of insane nepotism. Brian looks like a fat putz on the sidelines who bullied other kids in school for their lunch money and now doesn’t have a clue what to do in life.

Maybe Kirk will take the bullet for "holding Brian back", maybe not. Doesn't sound like something he would do.

As for suggesting Brian will have free reign.....he MIGHT suggest that, but it will only be an attempt to placate fans. Next fall will likely be more of the same.

Also....my belief is that Brian already calls the plays (maybe with a few exceptions).
Your belief is right. Play calls on Saturday. That’s all on Brian.

Care to wager if they come close to selling out the season if Tommy Boy is back as OC?
Bet they are. Cade and All coming. You obviously aren’t a season ticket holder. Again UsC and UCLA are coming and the schedule shuffles in 2024. You like your seats you renew. Kirk will be gone in 4 or 5 years when he chooses. Not saying all games will be sold out but you sure as F don’t fire a head coach after a sold out season and prospects of most seats sold for the coming season. You are a dope if you truly believe that.

Reactions: Bishop1971
Bet they are. Cade and All coming. You obviously aren’t a season ticket holder. Again UsC and UCLA are coming and the schedule shuffles in 2024. You like your seats you renew. Kirk will be gone in 4 or 5 years when he chooses. Not saying all games will be sold out but you sure as F don’t fire a head coach after a sold out season and prospects of most seats sold for the coming season. You are a dope if you truly believe that.
Just renewed my season tickets this morning.

With the new TV deal they could play the games in empty stadiums and the athletic department would still come out profitable. Part of the reason why ticket prices declined despite historical inflation.

OK let's bet and when did I ever say Kirk should be fired, dipshit? No, I live 800 miles away but lots of my family and friends do and several are waiting to hear about Brian to decide. Even if I was close I said F this after the 2018 Wisconsin game (season 20) as long as a Ferentz remains in charge of the O.... That was a great call.

But I've also got hobbies and interests outside of IA fb unlike many Iowans it appears, especially in the fall. Kirk and Gary cash in on boring Iowans with nothing better to do.

Name your number if you're so confident. What is close? 6 of 7? 5? Let's do this if it's ever announced Brian is back (nobody else will take him), big talker....

Reactions: tweeterhawk
th

OK let's bet and when did I ever say Kirk should be fired, dipshit? No, I live 800 miles away but lots of my family and friends do and several are waiting to hear about Brian to decide. Even if I was close I said F this after the 2018 Wisconsin game (season 20) as long as a Ferentz remains in charge of the O.... That was a great call.

But I've also got hobbies and interests outside of IA fb unlike many Iowans it appears, especially in the fall. Kirk and Gary cash in on boring Iowans with nothing better to do.
100 percent. I used to live and breathe Hokk football when we lived in Iowa. Then we moved west in the late 1980s. Hiking in the mountains one fall afternoon amid yellow aspens, soaring raptors and beautiful scenery I realized just how much life I was missing.

On the drive home my wife asked whether I was missing watching Iowa play. I honestly told her no. I even joked that probably at that moment Hayden Fry was talking about a player injury and that he had seen so much of it in his career it made him think of hanging it up.

So as I read online accounts of the game later, guess what I came across? Yup.

Until you step away, you don’t realize just how smitten most Iowans are with mediocre football and coaches with contracts for life.

Most Saturdays I have things other than Iowa football (or basketball) to occupy my time. I haven’t looked back.

100 percent. I used to live and breathe Hokk football when we lived in Iowa. Then we moved west in the late 1980s. Hiking in the mountains one fall afternoon amid yellow aspens, soaring raptors and beautiful scenery I realized just how much life I was missing.

On the drive home my wife asked whether I was missing watching Iowa play. I honestly told her no. I even joked that probably at that moment Hayden Fry was talking about a player injury and that he had seen so much of it in his career it made him think of hanging it up.

So as I read online accounts of the game later, guess what I came across? Yup.

Until you step away, you don’t realize just how smitten most Iowans are with mediocre football and coaches with contracts for life.

Most Saturdays I have things other than Iowa football (or basketball) to occupy my time. I haven’t looked back.
Then why are you posting on a hawkeye football message board? If you stepped away from Iowa sports then why would you be here posting about not being a fan anymore?

Name your number if you're so confident. What is close? 6 of 7? 5? Let's do this if it's ever announced Brian is back (nobody else will take him), big talker....
Why are you talking crap about Iowans, especially if you are one who moved away? And I completely agree with pistachio. I expect about every game to be sold out no matter who is oc.

“Brian. It’s tough to win ten games. So how difficult is it to turn down job offers from other programs??”
You'd think he'd leave for his father's sake. I know I would but the temptation to try another year with Cade and the other players may be to much for him to turn it in

Reactions: iowaathletes
We need to start a thread for potential press conference questions that would be serious for any offensive coordinator but not in our situation. I’ll start:
“Brian this will be your seventh year in charge of the Iowa offense. What’s been the key to your longevity and success??” 😊
What would be the upside to this question?

“Brian. Your offense played against 11 Power 5 defenses last year. The offense scored over 20 points just twice. So I guess my question is, can we schedule more FCS schools? I’m sure we’d score against them.” Reporter checks notes and schedule, then says, “Don’t answer that!”

Last edited:
Why are you talking crap about Iowans, especially if you are one who moved away? And I completely agree with pistachio. I expect about every game to be sold out no matter who is oc.
Would you care to wager then since he bitched out on my offer?

800 miles away? You mean nothing to Barta or Kirk then. You have some weird obsession with them though.

What exactly are you doing to help advance the U of I sports now that the fan has the ability to have more influence than ever?

We heard this shit early on this last season about how the stadium would see so many empty seats and that was a big damn joke.

You are probably best buds with Bleeder who must have ran off and took his toys somewhere else.

That's really risky. If true, Brian has one chance to salvage his career. That doesn't sound like something Kirk would do. Either the Hawkeye offense shows incredible improvement or Brian proves to the world that he's in way over his head. I just don't see his father doing that to him.

That's really risky. If true, Brian has one chance to salvage his career. That doesn't sound like something Kirk would do. Either the Hawkeye offense shows incredible improvement or Brian proves to the world that he's in way over his head. I just don't see his father doing that to him.
I think this past year, and especially this past offseason, shows he was in way over his head already.

I think this past year, and especially this past offseason, shows he was in way over his head already.
Yes, we all know this. But if the narrative becomes Kirk is taking the constraints off Brian and things do not improve, Brian's next job will be at the junior college level.

Yes, we all know this. But if the narrative becomes Kirk is taking the constraints off Brian and things do not improve, Brian's next job will be at the junior college level.
I’d be surprised even at that level if he’d get a shot. He’d have to stay in the Power 5 or NFL where Kirk can use his connections.

Reactions: Iron Doc
Doing what to him exactly? Making him wealthy?? The only reason Brian has a job making $900k today is because of Kirk. Everyone should have their father doing THAT to them.

Reactions: GHawk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT