ADVERTISEMENT

Any insight on a new baseball coach?

Mar 14, 2003
Anybody have any insight on what direction Gary Barta is going to take the Iowa Baseball program? I've heard several names tossed around, is he going to throw the bank at Heller? Attempt to get the names from Dallas Baptist we've heard?

Heller will be in the mix, but Iowa will not throw the bank at anyone. No to anyone from Dallas Baptist.

This post was edited on 5/26 10:19 PM by bubbfan

U will b very underwhelmed with the selection.
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

Well I am glad that uirx, the man who comes on here just to bash Iowa baseball and lobby for the program to be dropped all of a sudden is an insider when it comes to the coaching search.

Originally posted by uirx2002:

Posted from wireless.rivals.com
This is correct. I've been told the Gary reached out to 5 initial candidates to see if there was any interest in discussing the position. Gary got 5 thanks but no thanks responses. Right now the top to candidates are a current assistant from the Missouri Valley and a head coach from a NAIA Division II program.

And let me add if it is true about Mo Valley assistant and an NAIA head coach, then Iowa should see if Ryan Brownlee is interested. Yes I know he was an assistant under Dahm. However, he was in charge of recruiting and sometimes all it takes is a change of leadership at the very top.

Originally posted by 73chief:
Originally posted by uirx2002:

This is correct. I've been told the Gary reached out to 5 initial candidates to see if there was any interest in discussing the position. Gary got 5 thanks but no thanks responses. Right now the top to candidates are a current assistant from the Missouri Valley and a head coach from a NAIA Division II program.
Keep on, sometimes the first response is no, but pursuit can lead to yes.

Originally posted by IowaHa...B4Life:
And let me add if it is true about Mo Valley assistant and an NAIA head coach, then Iowa should see if Ryan Brownlee is interested. Yes I know he was an assistant under Dahm. However, he was in charge of recruiting and sometimes all it takes is a change of leadership at the very top.

With a due respect, it's gonna take A LOT more than that.

Originally posted by IowaHawkeyeFBnBB4Life:
Who were the initial 5? Throw out some names for us please.
The individual telling me this did not give names. I think it is safe to say that Heller was one.

Barta should see if David Perno who was dismissed at Georgia or Gene Stephenson who was let go from Wichita State. While Stephenson has some character questions and is older he is a proven winner. Perno from Georgia took that program and did great things with it. Maybe a guy like Stephenson could groom someone to take over in 3 or 4 years?

Just some random thoughts and observations....

The individual telling me this did not give names. I think it is safe to say that Heller was one.
I just don't buy this, and I think your friend is feeding you a line of B.S. to sound connected.

Barta would have had to put out feelers before he fired Dahm. He knew he was going to dump him (gave him the "lets see how the season finishes" standard line), then gave himself an out if nobody was interested. He could have retained Dahm if there REALLY was no interest. Barta is too smart to dump Dahm and not have a plan.

I'm hoping it's a young upstart assistant from the SEC or somewhere south (like Texas, etc). Somebody who is connected to southern recruiting and is looking to build his own program.

I'm just not excited about hiring another midwestern coach, or somebody who is currently located at another school in Iowa. What does that do for you? It's not like we have tons of instate recruits that we need to retain. We need somebody who can go into Texas, Georgia, Arkansas, etc and get those players.

Originally posted by LincolnHawk:

I just don't buy this, and I think your friend is feeding you a line of B.S. to sound connected.

Barta would have had to put out feelers before he fired Dahm. He knew he was going to dump him (gave him the "lets see how the season finishes" standard line), then gave himself an out if nobody was interested. He could have retained Dahm if there REALLY was no interest. Barta is too smart to dump Dahm and not have a plan.
Same friend that told me Fran McCaffery would be the next Iowa Basketball Coach one week after Lickliter was fired. Same friend that told me exactly who the two new football coordinators that would be hired about two months before they were announced. Same friend that told me Iowa was getting the 2010 Orange Bowl invite in late November when everyone was talking exclusively about the Fiesta Bowl. He is far more connected than both you and I combined.

Barta has sent out feelers the last two seasons and he received almost a 100% thanks but no thanks response. You can't have a caoch on a revolving one year contract. You can get away with that once, but not twice. It was either give Dahm a multiple year extension so he can recruit, or cut bait. Gary chose to cut bait.

I'm simply telling you that you are going to be very underwhelmed with the hire. Many others int he lounge will tell you the same.

It sure sounds to me like your source is legit. If you could get us a few names that might interview we would appreciate it.

I'm hoping it's a young upstart assistant from the SEC or somewhere south (like Texas, etc). Somebody who is connected to southern recruiting and is looking to build his own program.

I'm just not excited about hiring another midwestern coach, or somebody who is currently located at another school in Iowa. What does that do for you? It's not like we have tons of instate recruits that we need to retain. We need somebody who can go into Texas, Georgia, Arkansas, etc and get those players.
There's really no incentive for an assistant from the south to come to the midwest. They would be better off going to a top end D2 school in the south to make a jump to a big D1 after that. That's the issue. Top players don't want to play in the midwest and top coaches don't want to coach here.

I wonder if Mike Clement, assistant coach at Kansas State would be given consideration. He has experience at Texas A&M as well, and comes from good blood lines. His dad, Brad, was a many time state champion coach at Marshalltown High School and his brother Jeff, is still playing professional baseball. Just a thought.

Originally posted by cg8284

There's really no incentive for an assistant from the south to come to the midwest. They would be better off going to a top end D2 school in the south to make a jump to a big D1 after that. That's the issue. Top players don't want to play in the midwest and top coaches don't want to coach here.

Not true. There are people all over the country in different industries that have been told this, don't take that job, don't go there it will never work, etc. It's called having balls and enough belief in yourself and ability to change that outlook.

What the hell do you think people were telling Hayden when he was thinking about taking the Iowa job.

It isn't easy but if you find the right person it can work. Will it when it comes to Iowa Baseball? Who knows but it is possible.

The individual telling me this did not give names.

That tells one all they would need to know.

I'm calling BS.

Originally posted by Hoffahawk:

Not true. There are people all over the country in different industries that have been told this, don't take that job, don't go there it will never work, etc. It's called having balls and enough belief in yourself and ability to change that outlook.

What the hell do you think people were telling Hayden when he was thinking about taking the Iowa job.

It isn't easy but if you find the right person it can work. Will it when it comes to Iowa Baseball? Who knows but it is possible.

And Hayden coaching football has what to do with baseball in Northern schools?

Its called an example if you can't follow along. Iowa football was much worse off than the Iowa Baseball team currently is when Hayden decided to come north.

My point if you didn't catch it that having success at Iowa in baseball can happen with the right coach. That is all.

Its called an example if you can't follow along. Iowa football was much worse off than the Iowa Baseball team currently is when Hayden decided to come north.

My point if you didn't catch it that having success at Iowa in baseball can happen with the right coach. That is all.

I understand examples, I usually use good examples that have relevancy. A school being bad at a sport and a coach coming in and building it is one thing, a complete section of the country that is at a disadvantage due to weather is another.

Originally posted by cg8284:

I understand examples, I usually use good examples that have relevancy. A school being bad at a sport and a coach coming in and building it is one thing, a complete section of the country that is at a disadvantage due to weather is another.
Really? IWCC has won National Championships in baseball against warm weather (Texas) schools, using the weather as an excuse for not winning is actually a copout, when a Juco in Iowa has won it 3 times.

IWCC has better indoor practice facilities than UI does. They also have a turf field, and the situation there is getting better. In other words, IWCC has committed to doing the things that are necessary for a northern team at any division to win. Right now, the only job in the B1G that may be worse than Iowa is Northwestern.

Ed Servais, really?

Ed's home field is the home of the CWS, and this past season they ranked #16 in home attendance, ahead of Nebraska, who came it at #25

Creighton just got a brand new indoor practice facility, and the Jays are very young, freshman pitchers accounted for 12 victories last season, which matches the last four years combined.

Don't hold your breath on Servais moving to Iowa City.

Originally posted by HeyDeyJay:
Ed Servais, really?

Ed's home field is the home of the CWS, and this past season they ranked #16 in home attendance, ahead of Nebraska, who came it at #25

Creighton just got a brand new indoor practice facility, and the Jays are very young, freshman pitchers accounted for 12 victories last season, which matches the last four years combined.

Don't hold your breath on Servais moving to Iowa City.
They said this on Omaha news a couple of days ago. I don't see it happening.

Originally posted by Arbitr8:

Really? IWCC has won National Championships in baseball against warm weather (Texas) schools, using the weather as an excuse for not winning is actually a copout, when a Juco in Iowa has won it 3 times.
So now you're comparing JUCO to D1? Well northern D2 football has been really good lately, why can't the Big 10 beat the SEC? They have nothing to do with each other.
This post was edited on 6/12 12:03 PM by cg8284

So now you're comparing JUCO to D1? Well northern D2 football has been really good lately, why can't the Big 10 beat the SEC? They have nothing to do with each other.

Dipshit,

Someone (you know you) uses the weather as an excuse for not being able to compete in baseball, I stated a fact that a team in Iowa wins National Championships against warm weather opponents.

And you make some crap comment about comparing JUCO to D!.

That's the thing he clearly doesn't seem to understand. Nobody is saying with the right coach Iowa is going to start being in Omaha every year but being competitive in the B1G and making a regional every few years is something that can happen. From there who knows. Of course being a northern school has its disadvantages but the right coach can and will find a way around those to field a team that can compete with the big boys every now and again. That was my point not that we were going to win the CWS in a few years.

Good news. I was told that Heller might now be in the mix. Apparently some folks at Iowa have really put the full court press on trying to get him interested in the job and it appears that he may be at least willing to talk more specifics. I'm not saying he will be offered the job or he would even accept the job if offered. But it does appear that there is at least some interest from him which was not there a month ago.

Soulds like interviews will begin next week.

The individual telling me this did not give names.? I think it is safe to say that Heller was one.?

Barta would have had to put out feelers before he fired Dahm. ?He knew he was going to dump him (gave him the "lets see how the season finishes" standard line), then gave himself an out if nobody was interested. ?He could have retained Dahm if there REALLY was no interest. ?Barta is too smart to dump Dahm and not have a plan.

I'm hoping it's a young upstart assistant from the SEC or somewhere south (like Texas, etc). ?Somebody who is connected to southern recruiting and is looking to build his own program.

I'm just not excited about hiring another midwestern coach, or somebody who is currently located at another school in Iowa. ?What does that do for you? ?It's not like we have tons of instate recruits that we need to retain. ?We need somebody who can go into Texas, Georgia, Arkansas, etc and get those players.
There's really no incentive for an assistant from the south to come to the midwest. They would be better off going to a top end D2 school in the south to make a jump to a big D1 after that. That's the issue.?Top players don't want to play in the midwest and top coaches don't want to coach here.

So now you're comparing JUCO to D1? Well northern D2 football has been really good lately, why can't the?Big 10 beat the SEC??They have nothing to do with each other.

Dipshit,

Someone (you know you) uses the weather as an excuse? for not being able to compete in baseball, I stated a fact that a team in Iowa wins National Championships against warm weather opponents.

And you make some crap comment about comparing JUCO to D!.

Yeah what would I know about the subject. Not like I played both juco and D1 baseball. Oh wait...

This post was edited on 6/15 11:00 PM by cg8284

Andy Sawyers - Texas A&M would be an excellent choice. Played at Nebraska, coached at KState and now is the 3rd base coach at A&M. Loves the midwest.

Without any major facility upgrades on the drawing board, the pool of candidates is narrowed down from slim.

You can count on Andy Sawyers not being one of them.

I just heard last night that even Northwestern is putting $5 million into a new baseball facility. That makes Iowa the worst baseball coaching job in the B1G.

New facilities, etc or just close shop (ugh, like the other two state unversities...). Don't half-a$$ it either, go BIG or go home.

ADVERTISEMENT