ADVERTISEMENT

Any Josh Dix updates?

You are reading my mind. I think the prediction was he would be fully cleared to play basketball by Sept 1. Wonder if he is going full bore now?

Also would love to hear how Dasonte is assimilating.

Bowen is critical and Dix would be a bonus. The other key player, who could fill a big hole behind Rebraca in the middle, is Mulvey. We need quality minutes from Bowen and Mulvey to be a top team.
100% agreement on this. I don't think Bowen has to start at the beginning of the season, but he is critical for depth, and hopefully as the year goes on he becomes a dynamic playmaker and scorer from the point. IF he does that he will be a key element of this teams success.

Dix could be a huge bonus if he can come in and provide spot minutes for Tony and then be a threat from 3 point range......he could provide depth in an area that NEEDS depth.

Mulvey could also be crucial....if he can come in to relieve Rebraca while providing a defensive post presence and be a rebounder...that would be significant. Then add being a good screener and a threat to score inside...and he would be another difference maker for this team.

With my expectations for how the rest of the team will play, these three guys fulfilling these three roles could take this from a 20 win team to a 25 win team or better....maybe.

I think that Kris, Patrick, and Payton will be dynamic scorers. I think that Rebraca will score more than he did last year, rebound better, and play better defense....I don't think he will be a big time scorer, but he will be a bigger factor than last year.

I think Ulis can be a steady PG that runs the team and gives great effort and smart play. I don't think he will be a dynamic scorer, but a great team player.

Last but not least I think Connor again fills a role that will be under appreciated. I think he can give us depth at every position other than the post. He will fill in where ever he is needed the most. He will bring a calming, competitive mindset, and be a consistently better 3 point shooter than we have seen (other than that one stretch last year).....in fact, I think he is the insurance policy at PG. Let's say that Ulis struggles against the Duke's and other big dogs we play, and let's say that Bowen isn't quite ready....then Connor can step in and steady that position. Not saying he will be some dynamite scorer etc.....but he is a firewall against disaster. IF Dix isn't ready to contribute, Connor can provide backup minutes at the 2 as well. IF we have injuries among our dynamic forwards....Connor can provide minutes there as well.

100% agreement on this. I don't think Bowen has to start at the beginning of the season, but he is critical for depth, and hopefully as the year goes on he becomes a dynamic playmaker and scorer from the point. IF he does that he will be a key element of this teams success.

Dix could be a huge bonus if he can come in and provide spot minutes for Tony and then be a threat from 3 point range......he could provide depth in an area that NEEDS depth.

Mulvey could also be crucial....if he can come in to relieve Rebraca while providing a defensive post presence and be a rebounder...that would be significant. Then add being a good screener and a threat to score inside...and he would be another difference maker for this team.

With my expectations for how the rest of the team will play, these three guys fulfilling these three roles could take this from a 20 win team to a 25 win team or better....maybe.

I think that Kris, Patrick, and Payton will be dynamic scorers. I think that Rebraca will score more than he did last year, rebound better, and play better defense....I don't think he will be a big time scorer, but he will be a bigger factor than last year.

I think Ulis can be a steady PG that runs the team and gives great effort and smart play. I don't think he will be a dynamic scorer, but a great team player.

Last but not least I think Connor again fills a role that will be under appreciated. I think he can give us depth at every position other than the post. He will fill in where ever he is needed the most. He will bring a calming, competitive mindset, and be a consistently better 3 point shooter than we have seen (other than that one stretch last year).....in fact, I think he is the insurance policy at PG. Let's say that Ulis struggles against the Duke's and other big dogs we play, and let's say that Bowen isn't quite ready....then Connor can step in and steady that position. Not saying he will be some dynamite scorer etc.....but he is a firewall against disaster. IF Dix isn't ready to contribute, Connor can provide backup minutes at the 2 as well. IF we have injuries among our dynamic forwards....Connor can provide minutes there as well.
Forgot to mention Tony P.......another dynamic scorer and good defender. If he takes just a small step forward and is just more consistent at what he does best he is a great piece in the backcourt....love watching this young man play.

big-lebowski.gif

Love your passion Perry. You remind me of me some years ago. I would eat and sleep basketball. Still love it, but lost some of it in the early 2000’s. Don’t know why😖😖😖

Reactions: perryhawk
Why do some seem to forget about Josh O? He really was coming on at the end of last season. He seems healthier than he has ever been, and he has renewed enthusiasm for the program. I expect him to be a major contributor off the bench this year.
I like to know why some on here think Josh O is a viable option to back up Rebraca? He's not quick, he can't elevate, his free throw shooting is suspect, he's not very crafty around the basket. Other then that he's a non-white player that has the beef. Am I missing anything?
If Riley Mulvey hasn't overtaken him on the depth chart, Iowa will struggle when Filip is on the bench....
But I guess that if Kirk Ferentz can play Spencer Patras extended minutes, I guess Fran can play Ogundele extended minutes. S**T Happens.

Last edited:
Reactions: owenhawk
The last video I saw of him, which was about 3 weeks ago(?), he looked much further along in his recovery than I anticipated. In addition, the summer workout picture of the team that was posted, seemed to show that he had muscled up a bit from HS already.

Any new info would be appreciated.

You are reading my mind. I think the prediction was he would be fully cleared to play basketball by Sept 1. Wonder if he is going full bore now?

Also would love to hear how Dasonte is assimilating.

On July 20 there were player (and Fran) interviews. You are correct; Josh was expected to be ready to go Sep 1. The great thing was that Josh had had no set backs on his road to recovery. And Dasonte said that he was assimilating quite well.

Josh Dix couldn't do contact at that time (he said he was a month away, which would have been late Aug). He thought he'd be back and ready for November's games. Before this injury, Josh had never broken a bone in his body.

Dasonte talked about, among many things, adjusting to the Midwest, the quicker pace of college ball & learning how Iowa plays defense. ;) He was getting up 700 shots/day with 400 (57%) -500 (71%) makes. He talked about Keegan and how Fran & the Iowa program have opened up some eyes when it comes to what's possible.

Fran mentioned that Kris had an opportunity for an NBA two-way contract. But as his dad has stated previously, they were looking for a 1st Round NBA Draft guarantee.

Regarding the PG completion, Fran said that Ulis, in his 3rd year, was playing really well and Dasonte was a terrific player. He also said that Tony and Connor can play the 1. Fran also said he could play Ahron, Dasonte and Tony together.

I like to know why some on here think Josh O is a viable option to back up Rebraca? He's not quick, he can't elevate, his free throw shooting is suspect, he's not very crafty around the basket. Other then that he's a non-white player that has the beef. Am I missing anything?
If Riley Mulvey hasn't overtaken him on the depth chart, Iowa will struggle when Filip is on the bench....
But I guess that if Kirk Ferentz can play Spencer Patras extended minutes, I guess Fran can play Ogundele extended minutes. S**T Happens.
He played good minutes against good competition in the B1G Tournament. He just needs to expand on that.

And he's not going to guard faster players 20 feet from the bucket. He'll be more of a situational sub. If other teams go with a smaller, quicker lineup, Iowa can put Payton inside with Patrick and/or Kris. But if Iowa needs someone to defend and score in the paint, I think Josh O is well on his way to being that guy.

Last edited:
He played good minutes against good competition in the B1G Tournament. He just needs to expand on that.

And he's not going to guard faste players 20 feet from the bucket. He'll be more of a situational sub. If other teams go with a smaller, quicker lineup, Iowa can put Payton inside with Patrick and/or Kris. But if Iowa needs someone to defend and score in the paint, I think Josh O is well on his way to being that guy.
We'll see, my bet is on Riley Mulvey, only 47 days until the exhibition game, we should find out then and beyond which player of the 2 will get the most minutes. May the best man win....

Why do some seem to forget about Josh O? He really was coming on at the end of last season. He seems healthier than he has ever been, and he has renewed enthusiasm for the program. I expect him to be a major contributor off the bench this year.
Was he though? He didn't play in 3 of Iowa's final four games. Apart from Purdue, he barely played outside of garbage time in the last leg of the season. I know he is very likeable but lets face reality.

He had some really solid plays against Purdue, ill give you that, but he didn't have a single rebound in 10 minutes in that game. Only 24 boards and 5 blocks all season. That's basically no production in the stats you need a center to fill up.

Forget points, we desperately need a center with a motor that is athletic enough to be a true rim protector. I would put more faith in Mulvey filling that role, but neither has shown that they can be that guy.

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
Just generally responding, but Riley hasn't shown anything in his limited minutes. I think that's why we saw Josh O in the most meaningful minutes last year. Riley's next great play will be his first. And Josh was re-recruited from the portal last year. He knows his time to produce is now. That's why I expect to see more out of him than Riley.

That said, I hope something clicks for Riley because he really needs to get some urgency. At some point he's going to be looking at severely limited minutes unless he gets it going before Freeman gets here. And if Iowa gets another big, Riley could easily be the odd player out in 2024.

Love OG as a person but other than strength to defend the post and defensive rebound his skill set on offense is super limited and I’m not optimistic that he’s worth more than injury time minutes tbh. He showed no refined post moves nor a face up shot - just bull in the china shop. Can score once or twice when defenders don’t prepare for him but easy to guard otherwise. Purdue didn’t guard him outside 15 feet.

We only have 11 scholarship players for the season, or course. It will be really interesting to see how deep Fran goes into his bench and how many minutes the bench players get.

We have 3 returning starters. I think we should be pretty comfortable with the starting 5:

Ulis or Bowen
Perkins
PMac
Kris
Filip

First 3 off the bench:

Ulis or Bowen
Connor
Payton

Other 3 on the bench:

Josh Dix -- from all reports, he will be ready for the exhibition game
Riley -- we really need some production from him at the 5
Josh Ogundele -- how many minutes can he give us?

Last edited:
I think what's important is that we have not heard of any Josh Dix setbacks. In this video, he is seen with his teammates last weekend.

On a side note, this looks like a nice NIL arrangement with Pizza Ranch, West Bank, and Montgomery Companies. I guess the players simply show up at the 7 home football games and get paid.

Reactions: Sheahawk
I think what's important is that we have not heard of any Josh Dix setbacks. In this video, he is seen with his teammates last weekend.

On a side note, this looks like a nice NIL arrangement with Pizza Ranch, West Bank, and Montgomery Companies. I guess the players simply show up at the 7 home football games and get paid.

I would agree Fran the most positive thing is that we haven't heard about any setbacks. He is coming back from a very, very serious injury. There is a difference between being medically cleared and being back to the level he was at prior to the injury. None of us knows what that gap might be at all. If he just makes it through this season with no setbacks and ability to practice and develop his game, that is a win. People expecting/demanding that he play meaningful minutes this year might be disappointed. 2023-24 is probably when he starts making an impact, but that's just my opinion.

Reactions: Pawkhawk1
I am in the pessimistic camp on JoshO, but he can play a role against monster centers, e.g., Purdon't, where his job will be to keep the opponent away from the immediate basket area. He has the size and strength to do that. I think there will be fewer monster centers in the B1G this year, than the past couple of years. I haven't seem much else.

PMac still isn't ripped, but no longer frail looking. He might be close to 6-10. Not on flat ground, so could be deceptive. Can't see centers well, so can't really assess how much Mulvey has added and JoshO has subtracted. Guards look ready to go.

PMac still isn't ripped, but no longer frail looking. He might be close to 6-10. Not on flat ground, so could be deceptive. Can't see centers well, so can't really assess how much Mulvey has added and JoshO has subtracted. Guards look ready to go.
I think Patrick looks fantastic, a legit league body.

And I think Ogundele is legit if, a Josh IF, he's in shape. He could be a great piece to this team.

And I think Ogundele is legit if, a Josh IF, he's in shape. He could be a great piece to this team.
I think a reshaped Josh O would show me he's dedicated himself to improving his game and skills. So far we haven't seen much of either. He has seemed content being at the bottom of the rotation.

I'm not sure Mulvey can make the jump to starter, but I do think we'll see a much better version this season. Last year he had a touch of Jared Reiner syndrome where the game moved to fast for him.

Before the injury, I was expecting Dix to be mostly a role player as a freshman. Energy, and hopefully some bench scoring. If he's fully back in the non-conference schedule a redshirt will probably not be in the cards, unless he wants it.

I think a reshaped Josh O would show me he's dedicated himself to improving his game and skills. So far we haven't seen much of either. He has seemed content being at the bottom of the rotation.

I'm not sure Mulvey can make the jump to starter, but I do think we'll see a much better version this season. Last year he had a touch of Jared Reiner syndrome where the game moved to fast for him.

Before the injury, I was expecting Dix to be mostly a role player as a freshman. Energy, and hopefully some bench scoring. If he's fully back in the non-conference schedule a redshirt will probably not be in the cards, unless he wants it.
I don't think he or Fran have any plans to redshirt Dix at this point.......

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Josh Ogundele bail on Iowa and enter the portal early in the Spring, only the crawl back when he either had a change of heart or found out he was not going to be picked up by another program. Even Austin Ash stuck it out in the portal and found a new home.
Now with Fran involved with recruiting additional big men can Fran guarantee or count on Josh not bailing on Iowa again?
Ogundele better have improved greatly to move ahead of Mulvey for backup minutes to Filip and we'll find out in less than 2 months if that happened. .

Ogundele, when he played, was basically a good defensive rebounder and on offense could score only if given a dump off pass or off of a "bully" move. He missed a wide open 15 footer badly in the BTT and when given the ball in the post had only basic post moves and shot with either 2 hands or his inside hand when going up which are both easily blocked in the B10. You need one hand finishes, more complex post moves, and some semblance of a face up jumper to have any success on that end. Pemsl was very, very similar, except he was probably a 3/10 on this scale. Ogundele is a 1/10 imo. He used a 1 hand jump hook once I thought in the middle of the season but I didn't see that later.

He can still contribute as a very limited minutes energy, bull in the china shop, rebound guy with good size who can body up other posts, but I didn't see much to build on last year. He'd have to come a LONG way to challenge Mulvey for double digit minutes imo. I think he's a great team guy though, well liked, good to have in practice and all of that. Just not sure about effectiveness if given more than 5 minutes in a game.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Josh Ogundele bail on Iowa and enter the portal early in the Spring, only the crawl back when he either had a change of heart or found out he was not going to be picked up by another program. Even Austin Ash stuck it out in the portal and found a new home.
Now with Fran involved with recruiting additional big men can Fran guarantee or count on Josh not bailing on Iowa again?
Ogundele better have improved greatly to move ahead of Mulvey for backup minutes to Filip and we'll find out in less than 2 months if that happened. .

Word it was a mutual agreement that he would enter the portal.

Ogundele, when he played, was basically a good defensive rebounder and on offense could score only if given a dump off pass or off of a "bully" move. He missed a wide open 15 footer badly in the BTT and when given the ball in the post had only basic post moves and shot with either 2 hands or his inside hand when going up which are both easily blocked in the B10. You need one hand finishes, more complex post moves, and some semblance of a face up jumper to have any success on that end. Pemsl was very, very similar, except he was probably a 3/10 on this scale. Ogundele is a 1/10 imo. He used a 1 hand jump hook once I thought in the middle of the season but I didn't see that later.

He can still contribute as a very limited minutes energy, bull in the china shop, rebound guy with good size who can body up other posts, but I didn't see much to build on last year. He'd have to come a LONG way to challenge Mulvey for double digit minutes imo. I think he's a great team guy though, well liked, good to have in practice and all of that. Just not sure about effectiveness if given more than 5 minutes in a game.
A more thorough analysis of what I have seen. Other than pushing opponent centers away from the basket on defense, not very skilled. I would love to be surprised by a huge improvement, but seems unlikely.

On Josh O...my wild guess is that he won't get it together and be the contributor that we all hoped for. That said, I have seen video of his shooting (maybe when he was in prep school?) and he actually has good form and a good shot.

I just think there is something wrong with Josh's ability to connect with what the coaches want him to do...I know that's a Mr. Obvious statement, but what I am saying is that he does not lack the physical ability to do what the coaches want. I also think that he in fact does have some skill that that goes well with good hands for catching a ball in traffic and being able to shoot it properly. (I believe that DanHawkPella's assessment on his getting shots blocked by using the wrong hand is spot on). I'm also sure he's being coached on the right way to shoot it.

It just isn't clicking mentally and he's apparently not able to get in a groove or find his role. That effort has been handicapped by his lack of conditioning....at this point, it appears that it is a huge IF as far as getting in shape (although we don't really know how he's doing right now).......so, I'm holding out hope, as I think there's about a 10% chance, that he actually gets in shape. BIG IF he does get in shape, how much does that allow his game to progress and will be be able to then be a solid contributor?

**Side note, last I knew Riley still had a way to go, but publicly stated that he had seen the light as far as what it takes to play at this level. Consequently, I would think the competition between he and Josh for those minutes would be intense.......I would hope. That should then lift each of them up along with Rebraca.

On Josh O...my wild guess is that he won't get it together and be the contributor that we all hoped for. That said, I have seen video of his shooting (maybe when he was in prep school?) and he actually has good form and a good shot.

I just think there is something wrong with Josh's ability to connect with what the coaches want him to do...I know that's a Mr. Obvious statement, but what I am saying is that he does not lack the physical ability to do what the coaches want. I also think that he in fact does have some skill that that goes well with good hands for catching a ball in traffic and being able to shoot it properly. (I believe that DanHawkPella's assessment on his getting shots blocked by using the wrong hand is spot on). I'm also sure he's being coached on the right way to shoot it.

It just isn't clicking mentally and he's apparently not able to get in a groove or find his role. That effort has been handicapped by his lack of conditioning....at this point, it appears that it is a huge IF as far as getting in shape (although we don't really know how he's doing right now).......so, I'm holding out hope, as I think there's about a 10% chance, that he actually gets in shape. BIG IF he does get in shape, how much does that allow his game to progress and will be be able to then be a solid contributor?

**Side note, last I knew Riley still had a way to go, but publicly stated that he had seen the light as far as what it takes to play at this level. Consequently, I would think the competition between he and Josh for those minutes would be intense.......I would hope. That should then lift each of them up along with Rebraca.

I'd lump Big Jelly in with Dom Uhl. There is talent there but just not the necessary motivation to put forth the effort needed to be a solid D1 player. Both just really laid back dudes.

ADVERTISEMENT