ADVERTISEMENT

Any Josh Dix updates?

I believe JoshO is hurt at this time.

And yes, he has shown to be quite lazy to this point…as well as lied to the staff about his weight before arriving on campus.

Reactions: BBHawk
I like to know why some on here think Josh O is a viable option to back up Rebraca? He's not quick, he can't elevate, his free throw shooting is suspect, he's not very crafty around the basket. Other then that he's a non-white player that has the beef. Am I missing anything?
If Riley Mulvey hasn't overtaken him on the depth chart, Iowa will struggle when Filip is on the bench....
But I guess that if Kirk Ferentz can play Spencer Patras extended minutes, I guess Fran can play Ogundele extended minutes. S**T Happens.
Agree with this. I am hopeful Mulvey has taken the next step because Josh O has done nothing to show he could be a regular contributor in rotation.

I like to know why some on here think Josh O is a viable option to back up Rebraca? He's not quick, he can't elevate, his free throw shooting is suspect, he's not very crafty around the basket. Other then that he's a non-white player that has the beef. Am I missing anything?
If Riley Mulvey hasn't overtaken him on the depth chart, Iowa will struggle when Filip is on the bench....
But I guess that if Kirk Ferentz can play Spencer Patras extended minutes, I guess Fran can play Ogundele extended minutes. S**T Happens.
Fran saw talent or he never would've offered him. Imo, Josh hasn't devoted himself to his own development. I don't know if Fran had to take Josh back after he entered the portal or not but I'm sure Fran layed it down for Josh when he wanted to return and now I would assume Josh must give nothing but 100%.

If Mulvey provides us the production that Ryan did, I will be more than happy with that.

So, Riley only needs to average 3.6 pts and 1.9 rebounds. Hopefully he can do that. ;)

Kriener, for his career, averaged 5.1 pts, 2.8 rebounds and 13 minutes per game.

3.1 pts, 2.2 reb, 8.4 min.........Freshman year
3.6 pts, 1.9 reb, 10.4 min.......Soph year
5.7 pts, 3.0 reb, 13.9 min......Junior year
7.7 pts, 4.1 reb, 18.3 min.......Senior year

Last edited:
Fran saw talent or he never would've offered him. Imo, Josh hasn't devoted himself to his own development. I don't know if Fran had to take Josh back after he entered the portal or not but I'm sure Fran layed it down for Josh when he wanted to return and now I would assume Josh must give nothing but 100%.

I would love to know the full story on Josh entering the transfer portal, how that went, and him asking Fran if he could return to Iowa. After all, Fran did not have to take him back, but he did, and under what conditions?

Josh is pretty lucky, imo, because he could have ended up in a much worse situation than what he has at Iowa.

Kriener was great his senior year. If Riley can approach that I'd call it a win.
Totally agree, and I don't see why he can't. He couldn't get the minutes he needed to make any real improvement last year because he had way more polished players ahead of him. Just my opinion, but it looks to me, if given steady minutes, he should get used to the speed of the college game and be very productive.

I checked the stats on Kriener. His SR year his stats for 40 minutes would be 17 pts and 9 rebounds. ON Fredricks best year, he had something like 2 or 3 rebounds and 14 pts. Garza had 30 pts and 11 rebounds. So I would say Ryan was pretty good his sr year.

So, Riley only needs to average 3.6 pts and 1.9 rebounds. Hopefully he can do that. ;)

Kriener, for his career, averaged 5.1 pts & 2.8 rebounds.

3.1 pts & 2.2 reb.......Freshman year
3.6 pts & 1.9 reb.......Soph year
5.7 pts & 3.0 reb......Junior year
7.7 pts & 4.1 reb.......Senior year
If Mulvey could give 6 and 4 off the bench at 15 - 20 minutes per game that would be solid as a back-up to Rebraca.

I could swear I’ve heard that Fran and Josh had an agreement before Josh tested the portal….. if you listen to the T’d up podcast they’ve had several players on and Fran treats his players like family…. they’re really close knit and he wants what’s best for them

I think if more people listened to some of these player and coach interviews on podcasts it might change their views about them….. lot better than swapping rumors on here….. Josh O is a great interview….. so is Tony Perkins….. they had Sherman Dillard last episode….. we’re lucky to have him….one of the nicest men you’ll ever meet

I could swear I’ve heard that Fran and Josh had an agreement before Josh tested the portal….. if you listen to the T’d up podcast they’ve had several players on and Fran treats his players like family…. they’re really close knit and he wants what’s best for them

I think if more people listened to some of these player and coach interviews on podcasts it might change their views about them….. lot better than swapping rumors on here….. Josh O is a great interview….. so is Tony Perkins….. they had Sherman Dillard last episode….. we’re lucky to have him….one of the nicest men you’ll ever meet
I agree. I know I heard in an interview with McC hat he said that they re-recruited Josh O when he was in the portal. Can't find it in any articles but I am sure I heard it.

I hope that he really puts in the effort this year and becomes the player he can be. Otherwise I don't see him being around much after this year.

Reactions: natchrlman

Kriener, for his career, averaged 5.1 pts & 2.8 rebounds.

3.1 pts & 2.2 reb.......Freshman year
3.6 pts & 1.9 reb.......Soph year
5.7 pts & 3.0 reb......Junior year
7.7 pts & 4.1 reb.......Senior year
C'mon Fran. You know Ryan gave us a lot more than those raw numbers would indicate. I repeat, if Mulvey could leave Iowa having given us the same productions as Ryan, I would be satisfied. Not every player needs to put up big numbers to be effective.

I checked the stats on Kriener. His SR year his stats for 40 minutes would be 17 pts and 9 rebounds. ON Fredricks best year, he had something like 2 or 3 rebounds and 14 pts. Garza had 30 pts and 11 rebounds. So I would say Ryan was pretty good his sr year.

17 & 9 would have been great for Ryan, if he had played 40 minutes a game.

The reality? He played 18.3 minutes per game and averaged 7.7 pts, 4.1 rebounds his senior year

Kriener was great his senior year. If Riley can approach that I'd call it a win.

Totally agree, and I don't see why he can't. He couldn't get the minutes he needed to make any real improvement last year because he had way more polished players ahead of him. Just my opinion, but it looks to me, if given steady minutes, he should get used to the speed of the college game and be very productive.

If RIley puts up 7.7 pts, 4.1 reb and 18.3 minutes per game (Kriener's senior numbers) then Fran should be National Coach of they Year ;)

what was the agreement between Fran and Josh O before he entered the portal? That Fran would take him back, if needed?

C'mon Fran. You know Ryan gave us a lot more than those raw numbers would indicate. I repeat, if Mulvey could leave Iowa having given us the same productions as Ryan, I would be satisfied. Not every player needs to put up big numbers to be effective.

I never said anything about Ryan giving us more or less than the raw numbers would indicate. I simply responded to your original comment, which was "if Mulvey provides us the production that Ryan did, I will be more than happy with that."

And Ryan's production, again, was this:

3.1 pts, 2.2 reb, 8.4 min.........Freshman year
3.6 pts, 1.9 reb, 10.4 min.......Soph year
5.7 pts, 3.0 reb, 13.9 min......Junior year
7.7 pts, 4.1 reb, 18.3 min.......Senior year

And I agree that not every player needs to put up big numbers to be effective. However, you have to actually play some minutes to be effective. Hopefully Riley can double his minutes played this season to at least 10 minutes a game (to match Ryan's sophomore year).

Last season Riley averaged .9 pts, .9 rebounds and 4.9 minutes in 17 games.

what was the agreement between Fran and Josh O before he entered the portal? That Fran would take him back, if
I wasn’t present obviously…..I assumed something along those lines and I’m just recanting something I heard but can’t remember where sooo it might not be up to the strict standards of this board

That makes no sense.

Well, the poster wrote this: I could swear I’ve heard that Fran and Josh had an agreement before Josh tested the portal…..

I then asked this: what was the agreement between Fran and Josh O before he entered the portal? That Fran would take him back, if needed?

What doesn't make sense?

I wasn’t present obviously…..I assumed something along those lines and I’m just recanting something I heard but can’t remember where sooo it might not be up to the strict standards of this board

I realize that you were not present when Fran & Josh discussed this. ;) But you did say that you could swear I’ve heard that Fran and Josh had an agreement before Josh tested the portal…..

Did you hear this on a podcast? Just curious.

In fairness, Josh O was "rerecruited" by Fran after we struck out on our other options.
If true, that seems to be doubling down on the original mistake of recruiting him in the first place. Just my opinion, of course, but I just don't see the scenario where Josh is a consistently productive player. Hope I'm wrong.

Reactions: HoustonREDHawk
Don't disagree, but defense and rebounding for 15 min or so is what we need from Mulvey or JoshO. Any points would be a bonus.
Totally agree. I don't even care if he scores really. If he can rebound and play D, the points are just gravy. I don't have any expectations for Josh O. What he gave us a few games filling in as a big body is what I envision him being - I would love to be wrong but nothing he has shown has really given the impression he can be more than that.

Mulvey looked like a kid that was just out of HS (which he was) and trying to deal with the pace of the game and adjusting to a body that put on a lot of weight/muscle in a short time. My expectations for him are considerably higher than Josh O. Hopefully, he can give solid work as a back-up and build upon that.

Reactions: HoustonREDHawk
Totally agree. I don't even care if he scores really. If he can rebound and play D, the points are just gravy. I don't have any expectations for Josh O. What he gave us a few games filling in as a big body is what I envision him being - I would love to be wrong but nothing he has shown has really given the impression he can be more than that.

Mulvey looked like a kid that was just out of HS (which he was) and trying to deal with the pace of the game and adjusting to a body that put on a lot of weight/muscle in a short time. My expectations for him are considerably higher than Josh O. Hopefully, he can give solid work as a back-up and build upon that.
Exactly my view. Mulvey probably should have redshirted.

Reactions: owenhawk
what was the agreement between Fran and Josh O before he entered the portal? That Fran would take him back, if needed?
I am not sure Josh really wanted to leave as much as he wanted to just see what other opportunities might be out there. Once Iowa didn’t get a portal guy he saw Iowa as his best chance to get on the court. I think it is as simple as that.

Reactions: Franisdaman
If true, that seems to be doubling down on the original mistake of recruiting him in the first place. Just my opinion, of course, but I just don't see the scenario where Josh is a consistently productive player. Hope I'm wrong.
Family is the key... that has and will be Iowa's recruiting pitch. Let's not forget that Big Jelly comes from a "basketball family" from the Boston area that Iowa has been recruiting (Dasonte Bowen) and many that we missed on this year. Bringing JO back was an easy calculation especially when we didn't pick up anyone in the portal.

I was hoping that the JO and Bowen reuniting with TJ Power might happen but oh well.

Well, the poster wrote this: I could swear I’ve heard that Fran and Josh had an agreement before Josh tested the portal…..

I then asked this: what was the agreement between Fran and Josh O before he entered the portal? That Fran would take him back, if needed?

What doesn't make sense?
The idea that Fran would say to a player on the roster, at a position of need, that he was ok with a player checking out the competition to see if there was a better fit for him but that he would welcome him back if he couldn't find it. Typing it out it sounds like a really nice thing to do for a kid but college basketball is too competitive a business for to actually have happened.

The last video I saw of him, which was about 3 weeks ago(?), he looked much further along in his recovery than I anticipated. In addition, the summer workout picture of the team that was posted, seemed to show that he had muscled up a bit from HS already.

Any new info would be appreciated.

First day of practice was yesterday, Monday, Sep 26.

The 2 freshmen, Josh and Dasonte, were phenomenal.

Here are some pics that my wife, Margaret, took. ;)

Fdn0LOYWABA1Pns

Fdn0LOaWQAAd_dW

Fdn0LObWAAYljkh

Fdn0LOaXkAAl0EN

We should be pretty good with Matt Gatens back at shooting guard.
That would be nice, wouldn't it?

It appears as if (from such very limited knowledge) that Dix is back and practicing full speed. I am assuming that it will take a while for complete conditioning, timing, shooting touch, etc. to return to 100%......but if by early or mid January he can get there I am excited for the help he could provide....he could provide some quality depth at the 2 or maybe 3....

• Love
Reactions: Obviously Oblivious
That would be nice, wouldn't it?

It appears as if (from such very limited knowledge) that Dix is back and practicing full speed. I am assuming that it will take a while for complete conditioning, timing, shooting touch, etc. to return to 100%......but if by early or mid January he can get there I am excited for the help he could provide....he could provide some quality depth at the 2 or maybe 3....
Yes, it does appear that Dix is much further along then I had anticipated, although still pictures can be deceiving. It's great to be young and just maybe he can contribute at sometime this season, but if he does play, I still see him getting minutes like Josh Ogundele and Riley Mulvey did last year in mop up minutes....
As a guard he's not going to overtake Tony, Aaron, Connor, or any other Iowa player that has the ability to play the 2 guard, it's just not going to happen.

Dix definitely looks strong and fit. Hard to predict how long it will take to gain complete confidence and timing, but sounds very promising. With his size, it looks like he could actually play some 3 against some competition.

Not sure why, but I believe Bowen is going to be a major contributor early, although he might not start.

It would be great to see and hear more about Mulvey and JoshO. One of them needs to make a big step forward.

ADVERTISEMENT