ADVERTISEMENT

Any Josh Dix updates?

Damn! Seems like he's almost always injured during the fall.
Is It speculation or is a known fact that Josh has been injured? Although I don't hold Josh in the same light as Riley as I think Riley's has more upside to his game and is a bit taller, I hope at some time during the season Josh gets on the floor and contributes to a much needed win against a top Big Ten program helping Iowa to compete for a Big Ten Championship. All hands on deck....

Reactions: owenhawk
Is It speculation or is a known fact that Josh has been injured? Although I don't hold Josh in the same light as Riley as I think Riley's has more upside to his game and is a bit taller, I hope at some time during the season Josh gets on the floor and contributes to a much needed win against a top Big Ten program helping Iowa to compete for a Big Ten Championship. All hands on deck....
Legend12's post that I quoted said that Josh was injured.

Yes, it does appear that Dix is much further along then I had anticipated, although still pictures can be deceiving. It's great to be young and just maybe he can contribute at sometime this season, but if he does play, I still see him getting minutes like Josh Ogundele and Riley Mulvey did last year in mop up minutes....
As a guard he's not going to overtake Tony, Aaron, Connor, or any other Iowa player that has the ability to play the 2 guard, it's just not going to happen.
I think he COULD pass Tony at 2G and connor never was a real 2G, as you are supposed to score points.

If I understand basketball right, isn't the 2G also called the shooting guard or such. His job would be to make baskets, so that seems kinda important.
Devyn Marble shot <35% from three the season he was 1st Team All Big Ten, and would have been Iowa’s SG with Gesell also logging 33 starts that season. Perkins, like Marble, is a good scorer who can get to the rim and free throw line while also occasionally getting hot from deep. Fran also likes that Tony can serve as a primary ballhandler and initiate the offense/lead a fast break (he may be our best and most explosive transition player). Not to mention that, after Perkins got inserted into the starting lineup mid season, he shot just under 41% from three the rest of the way - so it’s not like he flat out can’t shoot (15 game stretch which was nearly half the season)

Perkins is also a versatile defender - he’s guarded some of the Big Ten’s best and done admirably (notably, Ayo Dosunmu in one of the first games he saw action his freshman season), high energy, and good steals guy (#2 on the team behind Toussaint on a per 40 basis). People also don’t realize that Perkins was Iowa’s top rebounding guard on a per 40 basis last year (ahead of Ulis, who also receives quite a bit of praise for his ability to crash the boards)

I wasn’t trying to attack or be a douche. I haven’t seen Dix play outside of his high school mixtapes, and genuinely thought maybe you knew something I didn’t about his game. On the other hand, I know that I expect Perkins to be a double-digit scorer this season and Iowa’s second best two-way player behind Kris, so to pose that the true freshman coming off a major leg operation has the capability to be better in year one seemed like a bit of a reach…

… which isn’t a slight against Dix, by the way. He does have a super sweet stroke and seemingly underrated athleticism. I think he can contribute this year and am really high on what he can accomplish as a Hawkeye in general. Just think you might be undervaluing Tony a bit

Last edited:
If I understand basketball right, isn't the 2G also called the shooting guard or such. His job would be to make baskets, so that seems kinda important.
Setting all other factors like defense rebounding ect aside, which Perkins obviously wins in...You actually think there is a chance that Dix is going to be better at "making baskets" than Perkins this year?

I think its pretty unlikely that he even shoots a petter percentage from 3 let alone all the other ways TP can score.

Dix may have a chance at being a better scorer eventually but this year no chance.

I think perkins can be pretty darn good if his outside shooting improves a bit (but I would be happy with 41% LOL). When I think of great outside shooting I am thinking of a JBO type shooter. I think Dix has a chance (chance) to be that good, but very early to talk about that.

I don't expect Tony to get replaced by anyone unless he gets injured or has some freak reduction in his productivity....feel like he is a very important part of this team that brings an element that no one else brings.

That said, IF Josh Dix fully recovers and plays up to his potential he can be a really high level replacement for Tony when Tony is done at Iowa.

I think perkins can be pretty darn good if his outside shooting improves a bit (but I would be happy with 41% LOL). When I think of great outside shooting I am thinking of a JBO type shooter. I think Dix has a chance (chance) to be that good, but very early to talk about that.
Theres a lot more to the position than just outside shooting.

Id take Perkins over JBO at the 2 guard any day.

Reactions: owenhawk
ADVERTISEMENT