ADVERTISEMENT

Any kayakers here?

torbee

HR King
Gold Member
I've decided to hang up canoeing and move into kayaking - mainly because it's something I can do solo. (insert onanism jokes here).

Anyway, kind of stoked to get a 10-foot angling kayak. This is the one I'm looking at picking up this weekend:

Fred_in_Trip10.jpg

Curious to get some tips, do's and don'ts from those more experienced than I.

I have two kayaks. Both a 10 & a 12 footer. The 10 footer is for just lazy days on lakes and is much slower than my 12 foot one. Just take it easy when you get started and always go with a sit in kayak and not a sit on top. Make sure to get one with a drain plug in the bottom of it and try to find one that has a dry storage bag compartment that locks tight. Get a good padded seat for it and one with adjustable foot peddles and a paddle clip on the side. You don't need to spend a ton of money for a good kayak. Old Town is a pretty good entry level kayak and you should get years of enjoyment out of it. They can take a good beating like an NFL wife.

Originally posted by HallofFame:
I have two kayaks. Both a 10 & a 12 footer. The 10 footer is for just lazy days on lakes and is much slower than my 12 foot one. Just take it easy when you get started and always go with a sit in kayak and not a sit on top. Make sure to get one with a drain plug in the bottom of it and try to find one that has a dry storage bag compartment that locks tight. Get a good padded seat for it and one with adjustable foot peddles and a paddle clip on the side. You don't need to spend a ton of money for a good kayak. Old Town is a pretty good entry level kayak and you should get years of enjoyment out of it. They can take a good beating like an NFL wife.
Thanks HoF.

I've kayaked a bit - just rented one down in the 10,000 Islands over spring break, and we do have a 14-foot tandem down at our lake place (that thing is a beast!).

What I like about the Old Town Trip 10 is it has a sealed, watertight compartment as well as a pulley-anchor system.

What I'm struggling with, though, is whether it will fit well on the crew cab of my F-150 or whether I'll have to have it hang out the back of the bed.

Any thoughts on tranport that doesn't cost a ton?

I have a 12 footer. It's nice, since I live on a river, I will have my wife drop me over several miles up stream and I will kayak home and fish. I even made a little outrigger to make it a little more stable.

Originally posted by torbee:

Thanks HoF.

I've kayaked a bit - just rented one down in the 10,000 Islands over spring break, and we do have a 14-foot tandem down at our lake place (that thing is a beast!).

What I like about the Old Town Trip 10 is it has a sealed, watertight compartment as well as a pulley-anchor system.

What I'm struggling with, though, is whether it will fit well on the crew cab of my F-150 or whether I'll have to have it hang out the back of the bed.

I have a 2011 F150 and I bought a hitch extender. It sticks out the back end a few feet I only have a 6 foot bed but it isn't too bad. I didn't want to do a rack system on my truck. You can pick one of these up for around $75

341135737_o.jpg

Originally posted by Bulldogs1974:
I have a 12 footer. It's nice, since I live on a river, I will have my wife drop me over several miles up stream and I will kayak home and fish. I even made a little outrigger to make it a little more stable.
How did you build it? I saw one from a guy in CR but he wants a couple hundred bucks for it.

Originally posted by torbee:

Thanks HoF.

I have a 2011 F150 and I bought a hitch extender. It sticks out the back end a few feet I only have a 6 foot bed but it isn't too bad. I didn't want to do a rack system on my truck. You can pick one of these up for around $75

341135737_o.jpg
Those are nice, especially if you are by yourself and don't want/can't lift it up on top of the vehicle. My wife gets a kick out of watching me put our canoe on top of the van.

Oh and real men canoe, but whatever floats your boat.

I watched a youtube video. Just some pvc and some boat bumpers i filled with sprayfoam. Mounted it in the factory holes behind my seat. I would imagine a normal sized person could stand in it.
I'm going to make this one this weekend, uses electrical conduit, i like how it looks better than mine.
This post was edited on 3/27 11:03 AM by Bulldogs1974

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT