ADVERTISEMENT

Any news of IWCC JUCO PG Donovan Jackson....

Jun 7, 2009
Iowa
I am just guessing that Charlie Moore will side w/ Groce's Illannoy teamand play there. I still cannot buy that Moore is 5'11" when I saw him last Winter and he looked about 5'8"barely 5'9". Moore is quick no doubt but I still see him getting push about by bigger point guards. Seems like the NBA is geared to the bigger 6'3" 185 Curry mold for PGs. Moore still looks like he has short limbs.

JuCO (Iowa Western) PG Donovan Jackson was a name of interest a while back and I was just wondering if Iowa has been pursuing him as much of late. More experienced and mature body that would fit in Dom Uhl's class may be a better contributor to the program is the next couple of seasons. Helps balance out the classes. What little info I found said that Donovan's game has improved and he is one of the top JuCo PGs around in the preseason.

Anyone heard otherwise. Thanks.

Iowa signed the #1 JUCO PG in the nation last yr. Didn't end up working out that well. Sure, he may have been just fine if he had stayed....but JUCO kids are a crap shoot.

Not saying this kid is a bust but I would prefer a 4 yr guy myself

Iowa signed the #1 JUCO PG in the nation last yr. Didn't end up working out that well. Sure, he may have been just fine if he had stayed....but JUCO kids are a crap shoot.

Thanks....but nowadays, all recruiting of HS and JuCos prospects is a crap shoot. Moore could be great .... or not develop very well quickly and transfer before he is a 4 year player. On the contrary Juco comment, Donovan Jackson did not seem to have the transfer baggage that Dickerson came to Iowa with in his resume. Jackson is staying put at his juco and that says a lot. I am trying to understand his HS background- whether is was academics or lack of exposure that put him at a Juco and not D-1. Surely, Iowa knew about him when he was in HS in Wisconsin.

Jackson is more physically mature and larger than Dickerson. Sounds like Jackson's outside shooting is very good and more consistent. Who really knows?

Time will tell.

Reactions: BirdistheWord
Dickerson had some amazing skills and athletic ability....but he just seemed selfish, undisciplined and lacked the savvy to be patient or slow down given the situation. He seemed to want to be the shooting guard many times as well. Water under the bridge, but just an observation as to why they brought him in originally. I do think we need to push the envelope for those type of skills (the positive ones) which of course Fran is constantly trying to land. Somewhat reminded me of Kevin Smith back in 90's. He was laser quick but out of control too.

Reactions: DanL53
Dickerson had some amazing skills and athletic ability....but he just seemed selfish, undisciplined and lacked the savvy to be patient or slow down given the situation. He seemed to want to be the shooting guard many times as well. Water under the bridge, but just an observation as to why they brought him in originally. I do think we need to push the envelope for those type of skills (the positive ones) which of course Fran is constantly trying to land. Somewhat reminded me of Kevin Smith back in 90's. He was laser quick but out of control too.

I think you just nailed it. Trey (and I really liked his potential) wasn't saddle broke and what is one of McCaffery's favorite explanations of the Iowa system? "We play fast but not stupid."

Mr. Dickerson would have been fun to watch in the PTL, but he just didn't want to guard anybody or learn how to run our offense.

Also, at the time he was recruited we didn't know if Clemmons would stick around or not. When Clemmons came back in better shape and rededicated to contributing Trey wasn't up to outplaying Sapp for minutes.

Also, at the time he was recruited we didn't know if Clemmons would stick around or not. When Clemmons came back in better shape and rededicated to contributing Trey gave up.

fify

Reactions: DanL53
For those of you who haven't seen a vid of Donovan Jackson, here's a link:

It's his JC freshman year highlight reel, posted 2 months ago. The lefty's got some hops, explosion to the hoop, good body control, and a good shot. There are a few steals and blocks to show some D. He's not Moore, he doesn't have that type of quickness. But he is quick and strong- much stronger than Moore. He strikes me as a combo guard that we could certainly use as a scoring PG, especially with more development in his soph year.

Reactions: D Blade
Not seeing "elite" or close to elite PG there. I see a lefthanded Dickerson with a little better jumpshot.

Sure, hard to tell with what appears to be hero ball but I wasn't that impressed with what I saw in 2 or 3 minutes.

That isn't a PG highlight video format either IMO. Combo or 2 guard, maybe and in that case, no thanks.

Not seeing "elite" or close to elite PG there. I see a lefthanded Dickerson with a little better jumpshot.

Sure, hard to tell with what appears to be hero ball but I wasn't that impressed with what I saw in 2 or 3 minutes.

That isn't a PG highlight video format either IMO. Combo or 2 guard, maybe and in that case, no thanks.
Don't see anything of Dickerson in Jackson at all. The only similarity is that they're both JC players, which is probably what you're getting hung up on. Barring guys like Moore/ Simpson, Jackson could be a decent option. For physical skills, I think he's a Gesell 2.0- a bit quicker and more explosive. Not as heady as MG at this point. But Mike's got a 3.9GPA.

Iowa did NOT sign the #1 JUCO point guard last year. They kid was barely a 3 star recruit, with barely any other major college offers other than Arkansas. He was at a small school JUCO in north dakota and received accolades accordingly. He was not a top 20 JUCO point guard, and his play at Iowa showed that.

Iowa did NOT sign the #1 JUCO point guard last year. They kid was barely a 3 star recruit, with barely any other major college offers other than Arkansas. He was at a small school JUCO in north dakota and received accolades accordingly. He was not a top 20 JUCO point guard, and his play at Iowa showed that.

Interestingly enough. A search of Rivals and in High School Trey was ranked a three star and one player considered similar? Anthony Clemmons. Also, as I recall, he had an offer from Nebraska? I'm not saying Trey was going to be the next big thing in point guards, nor arguing his level among his peers in Juco. But I thought I saw a good bit of potential in Dickerson, but a lack of interest in playing within the system.

Just my thoughts.

Reactions: BuckRussel
Guess this means ISU missed on Simpson, which surprises me
Until Simpson picks a school ISU hasn't missed on him. They want both Simpson AND Jackson and made it clear to both of them. I'm not predicting he goes to ISU or anything but he's still uncommitted and wanted.

For as little time as Prohm has been in Ames he's got some solid quick recruits. Thought he'd struggle to get recruits at first.

No offense but when you get players in late July in Ernst no other major offer and carter in August before they enroll in late August for school not like they had tons of other options. As for Young looks like usc and New Mexico best offers. However prohm with losing lot of players this year and not using all the offers last year doesn't have the luxury of being very picky.

Donavan jackson is closer to trey dickerson than bryce cartright. I'm sure if jackson commited to iowa, fans would be unhappy thinking he is the next dickerson. Steve francis is not is juco, there are not many great juco PGs out there.

Fran wanted Jackson as did a lot of other good programs. Doesn't make much sense to discount his abilities when Fran wanted him over the PG he got

Prohm has done well with the time frame he has been given.

His challenge will be parlaying this season's success (because they're a second weekend NCAA team no matter what this board says) into higher recruiting success.

Reactions: Isitfootballseason?
Exactly storm. Can't gauge the effectiveness of his recruiting on him being in the job like 3 months now. He needs to do anything possible to just get a competitive team on the floor for 2016. He's doing okay but 2017 and beyond will show what the ceiling is for his era.

Well that is the obvious situation he is in.

But he has now picked up 2 commitments in 2 days.

And he has 3 guys coming to visit on the Iowa football weekend for the 2016 class, at least one of whom is a 4-star, they report.

Plus I believe 2 more visits shortly after that.

They have hit the road running.

I'm always interested to see how good coaches rebuild.

Sounds bad, but I would be all in for a final four this year even if it meant the program heading downward in a couple years.

My only concern if I were an Iowa State fan is team unity. I thought that last year the only team that could beat Iowa State was itself.

Now with a new coach, and several guys back that were part of some games where things went wrong, I'd be wondering if they are going to put things together and be that final four capable team, or are they not.

Well see. As a Hawkeye fan, I know that when we play the Clones in Ames they will be a handful.

[QUOTE="freemanbrenner, post: 695838, member: 19614"]Donavan jackson is closer to trey dickerson than bryce cartright. I'm sure if jackson commited to iowa, fans would be unhappy thinking he is the next dickerson. Steve francis is not is juco, there are not many great juco PGs out there.[/QUOTE]

That would only be the case of Fran were able to lure him to Iowa. As a Hawkeyes fan, my only disappointment with Trey was that he left. I understand his reason for leaving, I just do not believe he was given a fair shot at developing in the non-conference season.

Jackson is a better recruit than Dickerson.
Prohm enjoys recruiting where Hoiberg didn't. Especially the high school stuff but I think what will remain to be seen is if he can bring in the kind of players Hoiberg did and whether he is a good coach. He took over a program that was already established before he got there. Granted he kept it going but I think there is still a question of how good a coach he is. Also, all but one of his teams was horrible on defense and he didn't have nearly as good of offenses that Hoiberg had.

[QUOTE="MTHawkeyes43, post: That would only be the case of Fran were able to lure him to Iowa. As a Hawkeyes fan, my only disappointment with Trey was that he left. I understand his reason for leaving, I just do not believe he was given a fair shot at developing in the non-conference season.[/QUOTE]

I don't want to be one of those guys that says the coach knows best but I'm sure if Trey would have shown anything in practice he would have been given a shot. When he got on the court he was an out of control spazz that played little to no defense and had a jump shot that wasn't going to be consistent with his hitched release. He had great quickness but everything else was below average to terrible, and I'm sure the coaches saw enough of that in practice.

Reactions: BuckRussel
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT