ADVERTISEMENT

Any news of IWCC JUCO PG Donovan Jackson....

Iowa St needed Jackson as a PG more than Iowa did.

Why would you say that? Iowa and ISU (assuming Monte leaves) both needed to grab a good PG for next year. ISU got one, Iowa didn't. There was a reason Fran wanted Jackson and had to fallback to Bohannon

Why would you say that? Iowa and ISU (assuming Monte leaves) both needed to grab a good PG for next year. ISU got one, Iowa didn't. There was a reason Fran wanted Jackson and had to fallback to Bohannon
Bohannon was offered well before Jackson decided. Bohannon was the fallback to Moore, not Jackson. So many things wrong with your logic there.

Reactions: BuckRussel
[QUOTE="freemanbrenner, post: 695838, member: 19614"]Donavan jackson is closer to trey dickerson than bryce cartright. I'm sure if jackson commited to iowa, fans would be unhappy thinking he is the next dickerson. Steve francis is not is juco, there are not many great juco PGs out there.

That would only be the case of Fran were able to lure him to Iowa. As a Hawkeyes fan, my only disappointment with Trey was that he left. I understand his reason for leaving, I just do not believe he was given a fair shot at developing in the non-conference season.[/QUOTE]

All of the practice time from August to December and yet he wasn't given a "fair shot?" That doesn't even pass the smell test. Do you have proof? TIA

As always, if Jackson would have signed with Iowa, he would have been tabbed by Clone fans as just another recruiting failure by McCaffery.

Reactions: lenoxhawks
As always, if Jackson would have signed with Iowa, he would have been tabbed by Clone fans as just another recruiting failure by McCaffery.

Not me, great offers and he looks really good on film. Plus ISU offered so don't know why anyone would call it a failure for Fran if Prohm wanted him

That would only be the case of Fran were able to lure him to Iowa. As a Hawkeyes fan, my only disappointment with Trey was that he left. I understand his reason for leaving, I just do not believe he was given a fair shot at developing in the non-conference season.

All of the practice time from August to December and yet he wasn't given a "fair shot?" That doesn't even pass the smell test. Do you have proof? TIA[/QUOTE]

Sorry it does not pass your smell test, whatever that means.I believe the proof is the fact that he is no longer with the team. In addition, the lack of playing time during the non-conference season is proof. Furthermore, Trey went out there in the Rutgers game when Iowa mopping the floor with Rutger and played, arguably, his best 8 minutes in a Hawkeye uniform only to be off the team before the very next game @ Nebraska.

How would have been a recruiting failure for Fran if Jackson would have chosen the Hawkeyes of the Clones? It is a recruiting failure in that Jackson chose the Clones over Iowa. Coaches have recruiting failures every year that is why they recruit many more players than they could possibly sign.

Williams is better than Jackson aiiec.

So Christian Williams with no Power 5 offers when he committed to Iowa in the Spring of his senior year is better than Jackson who Iowa also wanted?

I don't mean to butt in, but that is on heck of a good question. Which player is better?

First off, I may be wrong but as of the finish of their senior years in high school Christian Williams had enjoyed one Power 5 offer, Iowa. Donovan Jackson, as far as I can tell, none. Now, I hate that term "Power 5", as it is a football term and considering all the excellent basketball schools from other conferences it hardly makes sense in this context.

So let's look at the other offers. Jackson, the only offer in high school that I can find is Mississippi Valley State. I find nine offers listed for Williams including St. Louis, Bradley, yeah a bunch of schools which on occasion get some good players and once in awhile field NCAA invite worthy teams. But you know what, let's just forget about all this for now and look at it another way.

As of 3/16/2015 the day Williams committed to Iowa, Donovan Jackson still had no offers past the old Mississippi Valley State offer! Funny but he was a freshman at Iowa Western Community College, you'd think coaches would have been keeping an eye on him? You know, a kid can transfer after one year of Juco, right?

But, no. Something happened around July, because the offers started coming down like rain the first part of August. 8/9/2015: Creighton, Tulsa, Wichita State (Ok, not "Power 5"...so forget the likes of Wichita State?) Illinois, Memphis, some others. And then two days later Iowa on 8/11/2015.

So what's all this tell us? Not a dang thing. Jackson might have needed to prove he could pass the muster in class, I don't know. But he certainly "blew up" in July of 2015 and the offers came pouring in. Over a year after he graduated high school. Williams, we never saw that "blow up". But then he played only part of his senior season due to some issues with transfer rules in Illinois. We know McCaffery had been watching Christian, recruiting him, for a long time. He obviously waited to offer, but he offered just as Illinois was showing interest.

So, to answer your question, which I think was a good one. I wouldn't be surprised if Jackson has developed some game in the last year. But I also would not be surprised if Williams has a pretty high ceiling. And we couch coaches have no clue who will be "better" when all is said and done. What these two guys do show, or maybe will show, is that high school players can't be measured by their offers in all cases. In most, sure, but not all.

I would feel much better about Jackson running the show at PG with what coaches wanted him out of JUCO than a kid with like Williams and that offer list. Williams could end up being the better of the two, you never know. I do think it's pretty unfair to say Williams is better than Jackson when you look at what info is available to you.

I would feel much better about Jackson running the show at PG with what coaches wanted him out of JUCO than a kid with like Williams and that offer list. Williams could end up being the better of the two, you never know. I do think it's pretty unfair to say Williams is better than Jackson when you look at what info is available to you.

Frankly, I think it is silly to say either Jackson or Williams will be better than the other. We'll be wasting our time debating it until the players prove it on the court, and even then it may be a debate!

I don't care about the offers Jackson had after his freshman year in college. Players develop. Maybe Williams should have gone the Juco route and after a year the offers are there? Or maybe, he's just that much better than Jackson and that's why he did get an offer from Iowa while still a high school kid? See, we could go back and forth and not settle this.

I can tell you I've watched all I can of Williams, as I have all the guys that commit to Iowa, and in my opinion Christian has the natural tools to be a very special point guard. Now whether he develops or not, we'll see.

As to Jackson, I've watched some stuff and I can see why McCaffery offered. Especially knowing Conner McCaffery will be here in 2017. Williams and Jackson would be a good one/two at point and Jackson would only be here two years. Nice idea, didn't work out.

Good luck with Jackson. I'm glad to see Iowa State continue to put so much emphasis on offering Juco's. Just like I'm glad that when you guys offered Joe Weiskamp he was smart enough to be a Hawkeye fan and commit to us. ;)

If you look at Jackson and look at Williams as recruits Jackson is 100% the better of the two and it isn't close. You never know who will turn out and who won't but it's right more than it's wrong

If you look at Jackson and look at Williams as recruits Jackson is 100% the better of the two and it isn't close. You never know who will turn out and who won't but it's right more than it's wrong
What objective measure are you using? Your eyes? If that's true, you've wasted your talents by not being a talent scout. It's been shown that Jackson didn't have any P5 offers and limited other offers, so how are you effectively measuring that Jackson is clearly the better of the 2? Your opinion is that Jackson was the better of the two but you have nothing to back that claim up.

What objective measure are you using? Your eyes? If that's true, you've wasted your talents by not being a talent scout. It's been shown that Jackson didn't have any P5 offers and limited other offers, so how are you effectively measuring that Jackson is clearly the better of the 2? Your opinion is that Jackson was the better of the two but you have nothing to back that claim up.

Jackson had scholarship offers from Iowa, Iowa State, Illinois, Wichita State, Virginia Tech, Creighton, Mississippi, Memphis and UNLV.

Williams had a scholarship offer from Iowa.

If that isn't evidence on who the better recruit is what else do you need? Donovan Jackson is a 4 star on 247 where Williams is a 0 star. Rivals said Jackson could get a 4th star this season if he plays like he did this summer.

Jackson had scholarship offers from Iowa, Iowa State, Illinois, Wichita State, Virginia Tech, Creighton, Mississippi, Memphis and UNLV.

If that isn't evidence on who the better recruit is what else do you need? Donovan Jackson is a 4 star on 247 where Williams is a 0 star. Rivals said Jackson could get a 4th star this season if he plays like he did this summer.

The evidence will be how they play once they step on the college floor. Before that, there's no "evidence."

The evidence will be how they play once they step on the college floor. Before that, there's no "evidence."

There is evidence on who appears to be the better recruit before they play (offers and rankings). It looks like Iowa will be better than ISU at football this year but there is no evidence until the games are played it's all just speculation. Same thing here, just message board chatter.

Only reason I brought it is because someone said Williams was better than Jackson. I'm not saying Jackson is better than Williams, I'm saying it appears he will be with what information we have

Your evidence is comparing a JUCO to a high school senior making your argument an apples to oranges comparison. Who recruited Jackson his senior year? You will find less than Williams. Cherry picking which year they are recruited makes your argument ridiculous.

There is evidence on who appears to be the better recruit before they play (offers and rankings). It looks like Iowa will be better than ISU at football this year but there is no evidence until the games are played it's all just speculation. Same thing here, just message board chatter.

Only reason I brought it is because someone said Williams was better than Jackson. I'm not saying Jackson is better than Williams, I'm saying it appears he will be with what information we have

So you admit that it's not evidence and is speculation?

Reactions: StatisticsLie

The main question that I have on Jackson is that he didn't start at point guard for Iowa Western last year. It appeared that Rico Thompson did (averaging 4.8 assists per game). Jackson averaged 2.3 assists per game. I don't have any quarrel with Jackson's shooting statistics--he appears to be a good shooter--but I think that there is still some projection involved in whether he is a point guard.

Your evidence is comparing a JUCO to a high school senior making your argument an apples to oranges comparison. Who recruited Jackson his senior year? You will find less than Williams. Cherry picking which year they are recruited makes your argument ridiculous.
lol

So you admit that it's not evidence and is speculation?

Evidence that Jackson appears to be the better recruit. I expect Jackson to be a better contributor next season and th
The main question that I have on Jackson is that he didn't start at point guard for Iowa Western last year. It appeared that Rico Thompson did (averaging 4.8 assists per game). Jackson averaged 2.3 assists per game. I don't have any quarrel with Jackson's shooting statistics--he appears to be a good shooter--but I think that there is still some projection involved in whether he is a point guard.

Jackson was asked to score a lot last year, everyone projects him to be a PG and that's what Fran recruited him to be. I have no clue what Williams assist numbers were but he's definitely projected to be a combo guard

Arguing on and on about 2 guys who haven't played a second of D1 ball is silly. Let this thread die.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT