ADVERTISEMENT

Any relation here?

Hawknado

HR All-State
Jan 30, 2015
Do you think the success of Ohio States football team helps with getting top recruits to wrestle there? I would imagine a culture of success would be enticing for someone and Ohio State has been pretty solid ever since atleast the metcalf days. What do you guys think?

tOSU has underachieved for the prior 2 years. They have had top notch recruits, two years ago they had a bunch of injuries (and a couple of busts -Campolattano), last year all their super studs were in redshirt.

Be careful for wanting top recruits and full rides handed out. One injury to OSU studs and they aren't in the top 5. They caught some breaks and the Hawks lost a couple of toss up matches that cost the tournament. The title was there for the taking but it takes some luck to win it and OSU was very fortunate and wrestled very well.

I would think the only relation would be if over time the football program success created additional funds that were positioned to the wrestling program to improve facilities and position them as the "Oregon" of wrestling facilities.

It definitely does not hurt when your "brand" is so well known. That being said, you still need the coach in place to make it happen. OSU has a good one ... and the state of Ohio is pumping out some good high school wrestlers. I would sure hope that a PSU or OSU don't overtake Iowa on the wrestling mat ... but parity is in full force across college wrestling. Lots of good wrestlers out there. Iowa should always be a top 5 program ... But it's going to be harder and harder to bring that big trophy home. And I say watch out for ASU as well ... I am hoping with some of the kids we have coming in that we get some of that Iowa swagger and aggressiveness back.

Originally posted by hawkeyesports92:
Be careful for wanting top recruits and full rides handed out. One injury to OSU studs and they aren't in the top 5. They caught some breaks and the Hawks lost a couple of toss up matches that cost the tournament. The title was there for the taking but it takes some luck to win it and OSU was very fortunate and wrestled very well.
So we get to discredit the Hunter Stieber injury?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT