ADVERTISEMENT

Any Scotch Drinkers?

Tell your pilot to fly you to St. Andrews, Scotland. Stay at the old course Hotel. There's a bar on the top floor that has over 300 kinds of Scotch. They'll educate you. Stay for a few weeks to try them all.

Don't drive.

Nope. That crap is NASTY.

Someone gave me a bottle of mid-grade scotch. I tried to like it... I really did... but good God, no. I regifted it.

I feel the same way about cigars.

Not really a fan. I like bourbon and haven't tried the supposedly better stuff though. Best I've tried is Johnnie Walker Black. Mixed some scotch/sodas back in college with Lauder's. Give me Beam over Johnnie. No real interest in scotch because I'm not good with hard liquor and that'd be a really expensive problem if I developed a taste (a reason I'm so glad I quit cocaine before I had a real job).

and I thought I was a tight wad

unless the recipient was an alcoholic. In that case I would guess they appreciated the gesture
If you don't like scotch, it's regifted one way or another. You hand the bottle to someone who appreciates, you reserve it and pour it for guests, or you pour the whole thing out for your dead homies. I don't see the problem. I guess it makes for an interesting decoration? I don't have a dedicated liquor cabinet.

What do you drink now? That would greatly influence any suggestion someone makes.

CSB: my liquor cabinet has around $4K worth of whiskey in it right now. Some of you are welcome. And I always share the food stuff with visitors. I’ll never understand the dusty bottle collectors.

What do you drink now? That would greatly influence any suggestion someone makes.

CSB: my liquor cabinet has around $4K worth of whiskey in it right now. Some of you are welcome. And I always share the food stuff with visitors. I’ll never understand the dusty bottle collectors.
Do you got a toaster oven so we can do some wings the right way? How about a kegerator with some lager? I'll sneak airplane bottles of vodka in my socks through your gate, so no need to waste the good stuff on me. We could kick it, talk about how Biggie and the Hawkeyes have influenced my rap career, and maybe start an online petition about recycling.

Johnnie Walker Double black
Balvenie 14 year if I remember right. Double wood or something like that
McCallen 12 year is a cheap drinker.

Best one I've had is Johnnie Blue, good stuff

Johnnie Walker Double black
Balvenie 14 year if I remember right. Double wood or something like that
McCallen 12 year is a cheap drinker.

Best one I've had is Johnnie Blue, good stuff

Balvenie 14yr is the Carribean rum barrel finish. Double Wood is the 17yr. Blue label is very overpriced considering it’s a blend. Macallan 12yr is great for the price point.

Reactions: lawsonhawk
Do you got a toaster oven so we can do some wings the right way? How about a kegerator with some lager? I'll sneak airplane bottles of vodka in my socks through your gate, so no need to waste the good stuff on me. We could kick it, talk about how Biggie and the Hawkeyes have influenced my rap career, and maybe start an online petition about recycling.

Or you can just drink 23 year bourbon with me.

Someone gave me a bottle of mid-grade scotch. I tried to like it... I really did... but good God, no. I regifted it.

There are some very clear differences in Scotch styles. It's an acquired taste to an extent, but there are some really different flavor profiles. There are scotches that I think are really smooth and tasty and others (even of high quality and price point) that make me think I'm drinking paint thinner.

Reactions: The Tradition
Balvenie 14yr is the Carribean rum barrel finish. Double Wood is the 17yr. Blue label is very overpriced considering it’s a blend. Macallan 12yr is great for the price point.

Ok, glad someone knew the Balvenie - the one I've had was the 14 year, and it was awesome.
Blue label is overpriced, and it is a blend, but it certainly is delicious.
Macallan 12 is a stand by, along with JW Double Black.

Chivas Regal or Macallan 12 yr.
For someone new to it - on the rocks, splash of water. Drink it quick, it's strong, let it sit, it mellows out with the ice melting. Enjoy!

This is great advice for a starter. Another suggestion for an early scotch drinker is Glenlivet Founders Reserve. It’s usually around $26-32 and solid for the price.

Herkster — have you had any of the heavy peat stuff from Bruichladdich? I have one bottle that me and a friend basically pull one drink from a year and call it the “tire fire.”

Another thing I’m out of and haven’t had luck getting in Iowa is Auchentoshan’s 21yr. Central City in DSM has had it before, but not consistently. That’s exceptional Lowlands stuff.

This is great advice for a starter. Another suggestion for an early scotch drinker is Glenlivet Founders Reserve. It’s usually around $26-32 and solid for the price.

Herkster — have you had any of the heavy peat stuff from Bruichladdich? I have one bottle that me and a friend basically pull one drink from a year and call it the “tire fire.”

Another thing I’m out of and haven’t had luck getting in Iowa is Auchentoshan’s 21yr. Central City in DSM has had it before, but not consistently. That’s exceptional Lowlands stuff.

I haven't really tried anything that is super peaty, in all honesty. I have my standby's and I rarely, and I mean very rarely, venture outside of those.
Glenlivet, Chivas, Macallan and Johnnie Walker, with Macallan and JW being the two that are most frequently in my liquor cabinet. Glenlivet and Chivas haven't seen my house for quite some time, so really, it's typically Macallan 12 or 15 year or Johnnie Walker Double Black or Green label.

I drink this stuff all the time. JW Red, black, Double black. Really like Abalour 12 year. Also its a little pricier but my favorites would be Lagavulin and Laphroig.

I enjoy it, but prefer bourbon or rye.

While not technically a scotch, Cedar Ridge makes an excellent single malt. And it's local, so that's nice.

Skip the Scotch. Just get yourself some cheap Irish whiskey - Jameson or Bushmills. Try a shot with coffee in the morning. That'll get you going.

lrgob.10yov1.jpg

This is the only scotch in my liquor cabinet at the moment. It's an islay, so it's not for everyone.

Start by drinking whiskey Manhattans, Cherry Manhattan Sweet to be specific.

Switch to a decent blended Scotch, I prefer J&B or Dewers, maybe Johnny Walker Red, Black or Blue, depending on how deep your pockets are.

Single Malts typically are pretty peaty and smokey. Acquired taste, not my thing, and the price gets crazy.

Purists like it neat, with a little water to open it up.

Me, I like to slowly sip it on the rocks, giving the ice a little time to melt.

Ok, glad someone knew the Balvenie - the one I've had was the 14 year, and it was awesome.
Blue label is overpriced, and it is a blend, but it certainly is delicious.
Macallan 12 is a stand by, along with JW Double Black.
Yeah, the 14 year is amazing. 18 year Abalour is pretty good, but pricey. When a Scotch has next to no aftertaste like the 14 it can be trouble. I've got several friends into the 12 double wood, but it's the rum cask that makes it smooth = 14 year.

Tallisker is fine...Laphroaig 1/4 Cask is really good, too......Edradour 11 year old is really good, for a cheappy...The good stuff isn't exported boyz...believe me. ;) The Scots wanna give you a reason to visit them. Not all of us play golf.

I’m Norwegian, not Scottish, but I like to drink mostly good wine !

Local schools homecoming, my 4 year old had to walk in the parade which equaled an excuse for me to get out of the office and stop at the liquor store. I'm the proud owner of a 4 pack IPA that I've never had (Citra Ass Down), a 6 pack of Left Hand Brewing Oktoberfest, and a bottle of scotch. 12 year something or another, I forget now. Glenlivet maybe 12 year I think, but that's honestly a 50/50 guess at this point.

I'm not a big scotch drinker, but I have tried quite a few of the ones listed in this thread.

Here's a question for those of you that are really into it - what do you think of the Japanese stuff? I have a bottle of the Hakushu 12 which I think is made by Suntori. I think it is excellent.

I'm not a big scotch drinker, but I have tried quite a few of the ones listed in this thread.

Here's a question for those of you that are really into it - what do you think of the Japanese stuff? I have a bottle of the Hakushu 12 which I think is made by Suntori. I think it is excellent.
I would suggest you never mention Japanese "scotch" if you visit Scotland.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT