ADVERTISEMENT

Any signs of PSU slowing down?

bawlmerhawk

HR All-State
Apr 3, 2010
I've thoroughly enjoyed seeing this parade of top-notch recruits coming to Iowa. It makes me wonder though, do we still have a realistic chance of catching PSU? They're a recruiting machine like I've never seen before. In the last TOM rankings, they only have one recruit going to PSU, but of course it's a #1 (Adam Busiello). Most of you follow wrestling closer than I do -- like to hear your thoughts.

I don’t remember who posted it recently, but someone provided a list of wrestlers currently competing for HWC and the list of the NLWC, and the talent level wasn’t even remotely close. Kids who have Olympic, World Team aspirations may take that into consideration when making a college choice. The HWC room is stacked right now (particularly at the light weights). I hear a lot of kids listing top notch training partners as a reason that they chose a particular school. I don’t know if PSU is slowing down, but the Hawks are definitely revving up.

Go Hawks!!!!!

Last edited:
IMHO:
Penn State recruiting / commits have changed and future teams will be more complete (in all 10 weights), with AA threats at each. But, they have not pulled in a sure-fire 4x finalist type guy since Mark Hall.
Since Mark Hall, then guys I'd classify as 4x finalist threats:
2017: Spencer Lee - Iowa
2017: Daton Fix - Oklahoma State
2017: Yyanni D - Cornell
2018: Gable Stevenson - Minnasota
2019: Greg Kerkvliet - Oklahoma State
2020: Maybe AJ Ferrari, but other than him, I dont see a sure fire finalist type guy.

So, in 2019 and on, they will resemble this past years Ohio State squad, with 10 qualifiers, 6+ AAs and 1-2 champs.

Of course, this does not take into account Cael coaching them up, and jumping levels in the room.

All my opinions, and speculations. I could be wrong - I am a lot.

Realistically, I think it is foolhardy to expect psu to slow down. We need to speed up and catch them and then pass them. I think we are very closr now to the "catching them" phase now and will be passing them soon.

The only way we pass them without them slowing down is for every NCAA champion to be either from Iowa or PSU.

The only way we pass them without them slowing down is for every NCAA champion to be either from Iowa or PSU.

I understand your point...but it is technically possible for their grapplers to not "slow down" and yet still be passed. :) Granted, based on placings at the last couple of nationals, your statement is correct too. :)

But I am anticipating Iowa accelerating faster than the spaceship in Spaceballs here! :) :)

I don’t know if we will ever pass them. They have too many high rated recruits in Pennsylvania. Although we can get to a point where we trade national championships with them every other year I think we would take that. We are getting closer to that now more than we have been.

IMHO:
Penn State recruiting / commits have changed and future teams will be more complete (in all 10 weights), with AA threats at each. But, they have not pulled in a sure-fire 4x finalist type guy since Mark Hall.
2020: Maybe AJ Ferrari, but other than him, I dont see a sure fire finalist type guy.

So, in 2019 and on, they will resemble this past years Ohio State squad, with 10 qualifiers, 6+ AAs and 1-2 champs.

Of course, this does not take into account Cael coaching them up, and jumping levels in the room.

Brooks is a possible

But, they have not pulled in a sure-fire 4x finalist type guy since Mark Hall.

Did you think Cenzo, Nolf, Nickal would be 4x finalist threats?

None of them were top 4 P4P is I recall. Brooks definetly a wonder kid and I’m not sleeping on a Berge, RBY, et al

The point is until you see them on the mat against college kids you never know

Reactions: pointingdogsrule
I believe they are showing cracks in the facade that will allow Iowa to have a shot at them next year, although PSU will have to falter in some way, but if they do, Iowa can be right there to win it and the following year, I see Iowa as the favorite and PSU will need us to falter in some way to win it. Moving forward--it's going to be a race and that's because Iowa has picked up the recruiting and PSU has not landed the same level of generational talents as they have been consistently landing. I'm not saying they are not incredible wrestlers and I believe that most will place and many will get high on the podium, but I don't see the same gap in talent moving forward between PSU, owa and others. The field is leveling in my opinion.

I don’t know if we will ever pass them. They have too many high rated recruits in Pennsylvania. Although we can get to a point where we trade national championships with them every other year I think we would take that. We are getting closer to that now more than we have been.

Yeah, but some of those PA HS studs will come to Iowa, they are not all automatics to PSU. ;)

Reactions: Grip220
I think they (PSU) have a site....the O P might be able to gain some Intel there...I prefer Hawk Talk so I will leave that research to the rest of ya.

Reactions: pish69
I should go to a Penn State site for opinions about the Hawks beating Penn State? okaaay

Did you think Cenzo, Nolf, Nickal would be 4x finalist threats?

None of them were top 4 P4P is I recall. Brooks definetly a wonder kid and I’m not sleeping on a Berge, RBY, et al

The point is until you see them on the mat against college kids you never know

Point taken, hence my statement on Cael / Cunningham coaching them up.
Of note, Penn State recruits have not done well at WNO that last few years.
IIRC, they went 0-5 last year (or was that 2 years ago)?.
RYB and Teasdale are combined 2-5 at WNO, and one of the wins was against each other.
Dont get me wrong - their program is incredible and the current gold standard. But, there are hints at a slight dropoff.
Time will tell - and I'll probably be wrong and they will win 5 more in a row.

They are going to need to have some underperforming recruits and Iowa some overachievers. Hits and misses will be the decider in the near future, but Iowa is getting their swagger back and recruits will keep coming. Money is a factor, but for the long run for a wrestler I believe Iowa is setting themselves up as a destination.

I’d rather be on top, but it’s interesting watching Iowa change and still stay Iowa style.

If we build it they will come.

I’ll start twittering top recruits more often to help the cause also. That should help.

Moorhawk, PSU only had 4 Pennsylvania guys in starting lineup last year. The other starters were from Indiana, NY, NJ, CA, MN and TX. I believe they project similar next year.
I know I just was saying population wise they have slight advantage in the amount of wrestling talent in the state. In comparison to Iowa. So they will never run out guys to recruit is all and getting them to stay close to home is easier and we have nabbed a few from Pennsylvania so we are making strides. But yes they recruit all over as do we. So yes getting to the top of the mountain with them can definitely be done.

class of 2018 saw PSU grab:
#2,11,12,16,20,22

meanwhile Iowa got
#14,80,93

The #2 ranked p4p is Brooks, who won World Cadet gold in FS in 2017. He won the US Jr FS title this year, and will represent USA at Jr World in Sept. He is truly an elite recruit, who, after taking a year training at OTC, will be a strong candidate for 4x AA, and possible champ.

So PSU is not slowing down.

Iowa had a great 2017 class, and has had some quality transfers, so they are starting to make it interesting. But strong recruiting is still needed if Iowa is to overtake PSU.

I know I just was saying population wise they have slight advantage in the amount of wrestling talent in the state. In comparison to Iowa. So they will never run out guys to recruit is all and getting them to stay close to home is easier and we have nabbed a few from Pennsylvania so we are making strides. But yes they recruit all over as do we. So yes getting to the top of the mountain with them can definitely be done.

Tom has made the changes and brought in the guys for us to win this year and beyond. PSU can go to hell as far as I'm concerned. This is Iowa and we've got things straight, except for the new facility which we're werkin on.

IMHO:

Oklahoma State will be solid!

Yes yes Brooks, Berge, Beard, and Nevills will all be 3 time AA's if they stay healthy. Why is this such a shock?
Do you guys feel Kennedy, Glaizer, Warner, & Cass will all at least be 3 time AA's if they stay healthy?

I think Brooks and maybe Berge if he can stay at 149...if he has to bump up, it will be tough. Beard is good so maybe but HWY is going to be tough sledding the next few years...Out of our guys, Warner, Cass and Kennedy. I say Kennedy because he is going to be a junior and looks damn good wrestling against opponents at full feed. I don't know enough about Glazier. Hopefully get Abe Assad because he is a stud and his initials are AA.

At their lower weights, I would say that RBY and Lee have the best chance to do that...however, 133 is going to be very tough if RBY goes this year which he will. Cael is going to throw the whole kitchen sink this year and sit a bunch in 2020.

We should be less concerned with what PSU is doing and just concerned with how to continue to make Iowa better.
PSU is on top and if they're doing it by the book then they deserve the praise.
If we look at what's happened in the last 2 years it's been much better for Iowa and the best us yet to come.

ADVERTISEMENT