ADVERTISEMENT

Any signs of PSU slowing down?

Did you think Cenzo, Nolf, Nickal would be 4x finalist threats?

None of them were top 4 P4P is I recall. Brooks definetly a wonder kid and I’m not sleeping on a Berge, RBY, et al

The point is until you see them on the mat against college kids you never know

Nolf was #4, Joseph was #5 and Nickal was #7.

With that said, I would agree that 4x finalist is ridiculous to predict right off the bat. But, let's not act like they were not steely blue, blue chip recruits.

Edited to add: P4P rankings are still a bit of a guessing game as well. The fact that they were the clear top guys at their respective weight classes is the most reliable part.

Joseph was only behind both Valencias, Massa and Martin.

Nolf was only behind Snyder, Marstellar and Brill.

Nickal was behind those 4 and Nevills and M. Jordan.

Last edited:
I think Brooks and maybe Berge if he can stay at 149...if he has to bump up, it will be tough. Beard is good so maybe but HWY is going to be tough sledding the next few years...Out of our guys, Warner, Cass and Kennedy. I say Kennedy because he is going to be a junior and looks damn good wrestling against opponents at full feed. I don't know enough about Glazier. Hopefully get Abe Assad because he is a stud and his initials are AA.

At their lower weights, I would say that RBY and Lee have the best chance to do that...however, 133 is going to be very tough if RBY goes this year which he will. Cael is going to throw the whole kitchen sink this year and sit a bunch in 2020.
With 2 NCAA champs in the lineup you believe PSU sits a ton of guys?
Teske
Teasdale (RBY RS)
Lee
Verk
Berge
Cenzo
Hall
Brooks
Beard
Seth Nevills or 6th year Cassar

There will not be any serious sitting. In 2019-20 PSU wins their 5th in a row.

Reactions: pointingdogsrule
I think Brooks and maybe Berge if he can stay at 149...if he has to bump up, it will be tough. Beard is good so maybe but HWY is going to be tough sledding the next few years...Out of our guys, Warner, Cass and Kennedy. I say Kennedy because he is going to be a junior and looks damn good wrestling against opponents at full feed. I don't know enough about Glazier. Hopefully get Abe Assad because he is a stud and his initials are AA.

At their lower weights, I would say that RBY and Lee have the best chance to do that...however, 133 is going to be very tough if RBY goes this year which he will. Cael is going to throw the whole kitchen sink this year and sit a bunch in 2020.

not a popular opinion in PSU circles and posting on a rival board probably not the thing to do but......have no problem if folks want to save it and shove it in my keyboard face down the road.

I could see Beard and Teaz getting recruited over in the years to come and transferring out or just hang'n with their boys. Dont know a thing about Teske but reports I get off board are he is very likeable, a motor that never ends and "teachable". I use quotes on that because some people use that word different. I use it because I feel he will struggle at first but is a guy that could come on as an upperclassmen. Hes a guy that will have the PSU fanbase always going he trashed that guy....but fell to this guy I think early on.

I think Nevilles 4.0 is the best of the bunch but wont ever really challenge GS. not a knock because GS is a studs-stud

I think RBY, Berge are legit studs with multiple AA and shot at multiple finals appearances in their careers.

I think Brooks could be the #next

What could bring this down a notch.....an AD taking a brinks truck to the Cunningham house

#2020isyouryear

not a popular opinion in PSU circles and posting on a rival board probably not the thing to do but......have no problem if folks want to save it and shove it in my keyboard face down the road.

I could see Beard and Teaz getting recruited over in the years to come and transferring out or just hang'n with their boys. Dont know a thing about Teske but reports I get off board are he is very likeable, a motor that never ends and "teachable". I use quotes on that because some people use that word different. I use it because I feel he will struggle at first but is a guy that could come on as an upperclassmen. Hes a guy that will have the PSU fanbase always going he trashed that guy....but fell to this guy I think early on.

I think Nevilles 4.0 is the best of the bunch but wont ever really challenge GS. not a knock because GS is a studs-stud

I think RBY, Berge are legit studs with multiple AA and shot at multiple finals appearances in their careers.

What could bring this down a notch.....an AD taking a brinks truck to the Cunningham house

#2020isyouryear
My thoughts on a couple of your guys:
- Agree with your thoughts on Teasdale, Berge, RBY, and Brooks
- Teske reminds me of Conway. He's going to beat some guys he shouldn't with his tank.
- I really like Beard and think it would be a mistake to recruit over (Ferrari might be an exception). I think Beard is a high AA in the future.
- Seth Nevills is the one guy that I don't agree with. I think he might struggle with the smaller quicker direction that the HWT division is going. I think he'll be an AA, but don't see him near the top of the podium.

Time will tell. PSU isn't going to magically fall off a cliff like some Iowa fans hope.

My thoughts on a couple of your guys:
- Agree with your thoughts on Teasdale, Berge, RBY, and Brooks
- Teske reminds me of Conway. He's going to beat some guys he shouldn't with his tank.
- I really like Beard and think it would be a mistake to recruit over (Ferrari might be an exception). I think Beard is a high AA in the future.
- Seth Nevills is the one guy that I don't agree with. I think he might struggle with the smaller quicker direction that the HWT division is going. I think he'll be an AA, but don't see him near the top of the podium.

Time will tell. PSU isn't going to magically fall off a cliff like some Iowa fans hope.

Of course it won’t fall off a cliff. It’s already in a valley.

I’ll see myself out.

Reactions: Gusaford
tOSU fan here. What about tOSU? New facility is amazing, recruiting isn't slowing down. IMHO, it'll still be tough for the Hawks to overtake both PSU and tOSU because there simply is too much elite wrestling talent in PA and OH that prefer to go to the home school.

Reactions: nitlion6
. . . What could bring this down a notch.....an AD taking a brinks truck to the Cunningham house

#2020isyouryear

ISU's AD tried that, but never reached the house.
brinks%2Bcrash%2B2.jpg

Then Meatchicken's AD . . . eerily similar result.
armored-truck.jpg

Meanwhile, Cael has one of his own. Used mainly for recruiting, but I hear there is flexibility for emergencies and certain related payments.
brinks_truck-1525410184-8064.jpg

(Excellent fuel economy, BTW -- powered by slush.)

#donteffwithCaelsPlan
#orelse

tOSU fan here. What about tOSU? New facility is amazing, recruiting isn't slowing down. IMHO, it'll still be tough for the Hawks to overtake both PSU and tOSU because there simply is too much elite wrestling talent in PA and OH that prefer to go to the home school.
I think Iowa will beat Ohio State both this coming year and next. The real question is can Iowa beat Penn State and as I've stated, this coming year will be tough, but if there is a hiccup in the PSU line-up then I think Iowa can win... It's going to be close enough that if something doesn't go well, Iowa can win. Of course, Iowa has little margin as well as it pertains to beating PSU, but it is realistic now and becoming even more so moving forward. Iowa has captured the momentum. What an insane class they have now with the rising sophomores with the two transfers... it was good before, but now it's the best class in the country with one of the two transfers, let alone both of them.

Our 184 pounder is going to cost us the next 2 years in my opinion. If we had a solid 4th to 8th AA at that weight we would be set.

Reactions: MitchL
They are not slowing down The HAWKS are speeding up...
The hawks are definitely speeding up. I actually find it hard to figure out what pace psu is moving at because they seem to get guys to sign on very early.

The hawks are definitely speeding up. I actually find it hard to figure out what pace psu is moving at because they seem to get guys to sign on very early.
They will sign top 10 p4p every year this is very clear. Iowa can , should and will be doing the same moving forward. If we are playing on the same field

Iowa is going to handle tOSU this year and the next couple and dont get me wrong Im acually a fan of Tom Ryan but I will take the Hawks 26-12 this season maybe 23-15

Of course, if Iowa wins the title, you guys are going to have to defend the old - "yeah but they had 2 recruiting classes" put down. The ones they signed and the ones who transferred in. Similar to the first few PSU titles and the 3 under Tom Brands when he first got to Iowa. Somehow, I think you guys will still be able to enjoy the championships though. :)

Of course, if Iowa wins the title, you guys are going to have to defend the old - "yeah but they had 2 recruiting classes" put down. The ones they signed and the ones who transferred in. Similar to the first few PSU titles and the 3 under Tom Brands when he first got to Iowa. Somehow, I think you guys will still be able to enjoy the championships though. :)
I can will myself to get over that.

Once PSUs current crop if national champions moves out I see a lot if parity on paper between Iowa, tOSU and PSU. I happen to be in the camp that Cael is the great equalizer. He is a better coach than recruiter, and he is an excellent recruiter.

Forget 2019, I think the 2020 class is simply loaded with elite talent and whomever nails that class is going to be in great shape (Mastrogiovani, Howard, Bartlett, Hilgas, Lee, Ferrari, Catka, and more....) moving forward.

Injuries aside:

2018/19 PSU is the definite favorite, with the inbound talent 125, 133, 149 (and back to normal levels in bonus production) they gain more points than they lost with Zain. 140+

2019/20 more of a toss up to be honest Iowa is looking strong

2020/21 see who recruits from the 2020 class best

Ca$h at 184 is going to surprise a lot of people. Just my gut feeling!
You are a lot more optimistic than many on this forum. He was supposed to "outquick" the 197s last season, but he was the one that ran out of gas in the 2nd/3rd periods. Some have said there were issues/injuries involved. I don't have any idea, but he didn't pass the eye test for me.

I can't remember the last time I was actually surprised by anyone that someone claimed was going to surprise a lot of people. But I'm keeping an open mind.

Not that Wilcke is one, but in general, Practice Room Warriors abound. The legends grow especially during the offseason.

From the PSU side, Rasheed was a rare truth.

Reactions: Gobblin
Our 184 pounder is going to cost us the next 2 years in my opinion. If we had a solid 4th to 8th AA at that weight we would be set.

I don't know what Wilcke is going to give us at 184. A lot of good points on both sides of the discussion. But one thing I'm fairly confident in is that if the difference between a title and 2nd is the difference between Cash Wilcke and 8th place, we will have had excellent national tournaments.

#2020isyouryear

Love the honesty Dunk, but Cael already recruited over Hoffman for Beard, gotta believe Beard is the guy, no?

ISU's AD tried that, but never reached the house.
brinks%2Bcrash%2B2.jpg

Then Meatchicken's AD . . . eerily similar result.
armored-truck.jpg

Meanwhile, Cael has one of his own. Used mainly for recruiting, but I hear there is flexibility for emergencies and certain related payments.
brinks_truck-1525410184-8064.jpg

(Excellent fuel economy, BTW -- powered by slush.)

#donteffwithCaelsPlan
#orelse
It’s easy to see the problem in that first picture. That truck is in New Jersey. Coming from Iowa there was no need to hit the Garden State Parkway. A Brinks truck on the Garden State Parkway doesn’t stand a chance. There’s a lot of guys with funny looking noses on the parkway.

Reactions: slushhead
Cash has very good offensive stuff and will a strong 184lber I can see him making a big jump. On the same note I can also see Bowman making some serious noise for his case. Iron sharpens iron

Dan Dennis?
I actually liked Dennis from the start. He beat highly touted Jesse Sundell from Iowa State as a true freshman. He got his butt wiped by the Big-10, but even with a 50-50 record he was right in most matches til the end.

The last guy who pleasantly surprised me was Stoll as a redshirt freshman. He didn't have a great redshirt year, and I thought, eh, he was over-hyped. But he went toe to toe against Okie State in Kinnick, and I thought, okay, I misjudged him, he's right there.

Before that it was Sorensen as a true freshman when he placed third at Midlands. And before that it was McD winning it all as a redshirt after an unspectacular redshirt season at 133.

But I digress.

I actually liked Dennis from the start. He beat highly touted Jesse Sundell from Iowa State as a true freshman. He got his butt wiped by the Big-10, but even with a 50-50 record he was right in most matches til the end.

The last guy who pleasantly surprised me was Stoll as a redshirt freshman. He didn't have a great redshirt year, and I thought, eh, he was over-hyped. But he went toe to toe against Okie State in Kinnick, and I thought, okay, I misjudged him, he's right there.

Before that it was Sorensen as a true freshman when he placed third at Midlands. And before that it was McD winning it all as a redshirt after an unspectacular redshirt season at 133.

But I digress.
I fully believe that if Stoll had not had his injuries he would be going for his 4th AA this year. If he is healthy and opposite Gable at NCAA's he has a good chance at being in the finals.

Reactions: TarpHawk
I don't know what Wilcke is going to give us at 184. A lot of good points on both sides of the discussion. But one thing I'm fairly confident in is that if the difference between a title and 2nd is the difference between Cash Wilcke and 8th place, we will have had excellent national tournaments.

To further expand on this, I'm not completely sold 184 will be the weakest weight. There are a few other lineup spots with wrestlers that do not have Wilcke's NCAA tournament accolades.

Another reason I posted what I did: the difference between R12 and say 7th/8th is often negligible and could potentially be 0.

Reactions: TarpHawk
I think Wilke down a weight will have a profound difference on his ability to create scoring opportunities. The size and strength difference last year was noticeable, so yes, I agree that it is realistic that we will see a far better result from this weight.

I think Wilke down a weight will have a profound difference on his ability to create scoring opportunities. The size and strength difference last year was noticeable, so yes, I agree that it is realistic that we will see a far better result from this weight.
Plus he had a tough NCAA's getting Haught 2nd round and Moore in the bloodround. Can't all get easy backsides like Nick Lee. He did beat Jack for 5th, so that's pretty damn good.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT