ADVERTISEMENT

Any word on ISM’s injury?

I'm still not convinced that Michigan is healthy and/or willing to play. Washington just had to bow out of Pac 12 title game due to the Rona.

After Jones's stupidity, I wouldn't be sad if I never saw him take another punt, that was beyond dumb.
tenor.gif

Really? You would replace him? I don't remember a better punt returner (outside of Tim Dwight) than the one Iowa has right now.

He won't be the "better" punt returner vs Michigan will he mmmm? Hotdog will be on the bench while his team mates slug it out in the trenches. But hey, hotdogging is cool and well worth it.

After Jones's stupidity, I wouldn't be sad if I never saw him take another punt, that was beyond dumb.
Yes it was dumb. However, have you paid attention this year? The guy actually catches the punts instead of letting them roll 10-15 yards every time. Our punt return game has been awful for a few years until this guy came in.

Taylor's been great all year; however you'd think the specials teams coaches would've covered that scenario with him. Especially when the forecast for Saturday's game was known at least 5 days in advance.
How do you know they didn't? There isn't much Taylor could have done at that point.

Taylor's been great all year; however you'd think the specials teams coaches would've covered that scenario with him. Especially when the forecast for Saturday's game was known at least 5 days in advance.
After the game Kirk said he was not aware of the rule with his 40+ years, so I question if any of the assistants would have known it.

Did anyone else consider that maybe NFL scouts will be really impressed by the flip?? He showed great athleticism on the play and the razzle dazzle will leave viewers wanting more! Sounds like the total package to me!!!!

After the game Kirk said he was not aware of the rule with his 40+ years, so I question if any of the assistants would have known it.
That's interesting; however the scenario of a muffed snap by the long snapper isn't wildly improbable, so I would assume it would be discussed at some point. With Covid delaying Taylor's arrival and messing up the normal routine maybe it got overlooked this year.

That's interesting; however the scenario of a muffed snap by the long snapper isn't wildly improbable, so I would assume it would be discussed at some point. With Covid delaying Taylor's arrival and messing up the normal routine maybe it got overlooked this year.

Did you know the rule prior to this? Ever seen it called?

Admittedly it seems to be a pretty obscure moment. I wasn't sure if it was legal at the time, and I'm not overly surprised Kirk didn't know, but I would be mildly surprised if the Special Teams Coaches didn't know.

Taylor panicked, and the outcome wasn't good, but damned if he didn't do his best getting that sucker down the field! Ha!

Reactions: HungryHawk
Did anyone else consider that maybe NFL scouts will be really impressed by the flip?? He showed great athleticism on the play and the razzle dazzle will leave viewers wanting more! Sounds like the total package to me!!!!
The scouts are more likely to think "Hey do I want to pay this dude a million a year and have him on the IR list because he did something stupid!"

Did you know the rule prior to this? Ever seen it called?
No, but I'm not paid to know obscure NCAA football rules. And again, it's not about the weird rule, it's about the scenario of a how a punter should handle a muffed long snap. Ever seen one of those before? I certainly have. Do you seriously think this is never covered in special teams meetings?

The discussion on Charlie Jones is moot. Yes, he took a chance and fumbled, but he has done that same thing and it has prevented the ball rolling another 20 yards.... He fumbled, he knew he made a mistake, AND, he was back there for the next punt. He'll be returning punts against Michigan too.

No, but I'm not paid to know obscure NCAA football rules. And again, it's not about the weird rule, it's about the scenario of a how a punter should handle a muffed long snap. Ever seen one of those before? I certainly have. Do you seriously think this is never covered in special teams meetings?

Seriously I do. My guess is it's covered with the 'muffed snap, pick it up and kick it, don't allow a touchdown, a safety is better'
Football is about details, fairly certain that if someone who has watched a bit of football, say someone like KF hasn't seen it, the announcers haven't seen it, that it's fairly rare.

I didn't listen closely but I didn't think Kirk said he wasn't aware but that he hadn't seen it happen... except for 9th grade...

I've always heard KF knows the rules very well and when he gets on a ref for something its usually for good reason.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT