ADVERTISEMENT

Any word on

Hard to know as coaches don’t promote performance in em weight room and S&C although USF has some innfo.

The spring game/practice will be when and where we get best idea of where players stand. Will also be a time when players decide if they stay or transfer after drills completed

Reactions: m.stoops2013
Didn't McKnight have a serious knee issue coming out of high school?

That's probably why he hasn't made much noise up to this point.

Reactions: Herkmeister
I have no insider intel, but if he doesn't have any physical set-backs I fully expect him to make a move up the depth chart and see some minutes.

Reactions: m.stoops2013
How Romeo McKnight or Kyle Taylor, are coming along? Those 2 seemed like good gets, curious on their progress.
Romeo saw action in one game last year. The interesting thing about this observation is not that Romeo played ... but the absence of other guys playing. For example, despite having earned a bunch of praise ... Simon didn't play. Before injury, Schulte was a top defensive player coming out of Iowa (from those powerhouse Pella teams) ... he hasn't played either.

As for Taylor .... I haven't heard a word about him. I know that during his redshirt season (2016), he ended up winning a team-leader award for his special teams play during practice. That sort of recognition suggests that he had the attention of the coaches ... at least for that window. However, players also get injured ... and it can sometimes be hard for them to keep up the motivation if they're still removed from making a legit move on the depth chart.

I remember that back in 2009, Zusevics was a talented guy who was generating absolutely no buzz. Part of the issue was that the Iowa OL was stacked in '09 ... and other younger guys like Reiff and Gettis were generating buzz ... but Zusevics was still flying under the radar. Then, once all those SRs graduated ... it's like a fire was suddenly lit under his ass ... and he found his motivation. As we likely all remember, he ended up winning the starting RT job in '10.

Another pretty remarkable scenario was back in '07 ... and Pat Angerer couldn't be flying any lower under the radar. He had been suffered injuries ... and he had been more than a little immature. However, I don't know precisely what helped him to turn things around (he seems to partly credit hanging around Greenwood - and learning from Brett how to do things the right way) ... but boy did he emerge on the scene during Iowa's spring camp in 2008.

It's the stories of Angerer and Zusevics ... the stories of Greene and Wadley ... guys who almost seemingly emerge from nowhere ... and they end up playing significant roles for the Hawks ... it's these sorts of stories why I love college football more than any other sport.

Who is going to be writing new chapters for the Hawks in '18? There are returning faces like Anthony Nelson and AJ Epenesa ... from whom I expect big things. However, the guys who emerge or re-emerge ... those are the surprises that make college football so worthwhile!

Per McKnight's bio on the official Hawkeye Sports website:

2017 - - Did not see any game action . . . suffered injury in midseason that forced him out of action.

Anyone remember what the injury was?

Romeo saw action in one game last year. The interesting thing about this observation is not that Romeo played ... but the absence of other guys playing. For example, despite having earned a bunch of praise ... Simon didn't play. Before injury, Schulte was a top defensive player coming out of Iowa (from those powerhouse Pella teams) ... he hasn't played either.

As for Taylor .... I haven't heard a word about him. I know that during his redshirt season (2016), he ended up winning a team-leader award for his special teams play during practice. That sort of recognition suggests that he had the attention of the coaches ... at least for that window. However, players also get injured ... and it can sometimes be hard for them to keep up the motivation if they're still removed from making a legit move on the depth chart.

I remember that back in 2009, Zusevics was a talented guy who was generating absolutely no buzz. Part of the issue was that the Iowa OL was stacked in '09 ... and other younger guys like Reiff and Gettis were generating buzz ... but Zusevics was still flying under the radar. Then, once all those SRs graduated ... it's like a fire was suddenly lit under his ass ... and he found his motivation. As we likely all remember, he ended up winning the starting RT job in '10.

Another pretty remarkable scenario was back in '07 ... and Pat Angerer couldn't be flying any lower under the radar. He had been suffered injuries ... and he had been more than a little immature. However, I don't know precisely what helped him to turn things around (he seems to partly credit hanging around Greenwood - and learning from Brett how to do things the right way) ... but boy did he emerge on the scene during Iowa's spring camp in 2008.

It's the stories of Angerer and Zusevics ... the stories of Greene and Wadley ... guys who almost seemingly emerge from nowhere ... and they end up playing significant roles for the Hawks ... it's these sorts of stories why I love college football more than any other sport.

Who is going to be writing new chapters for the Hawks in '18? There are returning faces like Anthony Nelson and AJ Epenesa ... from whom I expect big things. However, the guys who emerge or re-emerge ... those are the surprises that make college football so worthwhile!

Schulte had an acl repair and has been converted to the dl.

Absolutely! College football teams won't leave town on you (Colts, Rams, Oilers, Raiders, etc.) Don't forget to add Josh Jackson, the Rivals two-star (who's only other offers were Colorado State, Nevada, and New Mexico State) to your list. Who forcasted his leap in play? ~ Dreams can, and do, come true when you're wearin' Black and Gold in Kinnick!

Reactions: VicHawkeye
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT