ADVERTISEMENT

Anybody collect coins? Metal detecting?

Colonoscopy

HB Legend
Feb 20, 2022
Saint Louis, Mo
I used to as a kid. Was looking through some of my old stuff. Among the cooler items was a 1858 Flying Eagle Cent (small letters)
1857-Flying-Eagle-Cent-Fine_07b085be-d761-4963-81db-46fd4740903c_1.a6ed11533840d3df991f7496dbe54c7b.jpeg

Also an 1850 dime.

Both are probably in "good" condition as far as coin grading goes.

Have a bunch of buffalo nickels, wheat pennies, and a few indian head cent. Most of those were pulled from breaking rolls of coins from banks back in the 90s. Surprising amount of buffalo nickels still in circulation at the time. Once in a while an indian head.

Wonder if they're still around in circulation.

I also used to metal detect. I think the best thing I found was an silver quarter from the 20s. That may be a fun hobby to get back into.

Reactions: h-hawk and Pinehawk

I seem to recall something from about 25 (?) years ago where there was an effort to pull old coins/bills out of circulation. The technology was advanced enough to when the old coins were ran through newer counters, it could pull them out automatically.

Something like that anyway...could be wrong.

My restaurant management career ended in the late 1990's. For about a decade, I had to count a LOT of coins manually when we set up our cash drawers, took in servers' cash outs, etc. That's how my humble collection was built. Silver coins were the easiest because they had a completely different sound compared to say a non-silver coin.

I began seeing old coins such as Buffalo nickels, Mercury dimes, silver quarters etc disappearing in the 90's. I believe the last semi-rare coin I've added via cash transactions (receiving change when paying cash) was a silver quarter I got from a Casey's in the early 00's.

I used to as a kid. Was looking through some of my old stuff. Among the cooler items was a 1858 Flying Eagle Cent (small letters)
1857-Flying-Eagle-Cent-Fine_07b085be-d761-4963-81db-46fd4740903c_1.a6ed11533840d3df991f7496dbe54c7b.jpeg

Also an 1850 dime.

Both are probably in "good" condition as far as coin grading goes.

Have a bunch of buffalo nickels, wheat pennies, and a few indian head cent. Most of those were pulled from breaking rolls of coins from banks back in the 90s. Surprising amount of buffalo nickels still in circulation at the time. Once in a while an indian head.

I also used to metal detect. I think the best thing I found was an silver quarter from the 20s. That may be a fun hobby to get back into.

th

Haven't used it in decades but have a Sears metal detector I bought when we were still in school in Iowa City. The coolest thing I found was actually in the yard of the old house we rented the upstairs of on Fairchild St. Found a 1905 nickel :)
Looks something like this
shopping

shopping

Reactions: Colonoscopy
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT