ADVERTISEMENT

Anybody Still Planning To Take A Summer Vacation?

Mar 14, 2003
We discussed this a few months ago. Where do you stand now? I’ve been off most of this week into Monday. I like to go to the B1G baseball tournament during this time. Obviously it didn’t happen this year. So we’ll see what happens later in the summer.

I am going unless the places I want to go are closed. It's dejavu from spring break for me. My plans failed not on my end but there was nothing to see or do, so why go?

I am not sure if that will be the case or not this time.

Hoping to get down to Austin sometime this summer to visit my oldest son and granddaughter, hopefully things look better by August.

Pricing out Disney World trips in early 2021, but probably won't go until December 2021/January 2022 at the earliest

Absolutely. Booked pre-panic. They announced last week they’re opening for the summer - last week in July.

I can't convince my wife to book a flight for the rest of 2020.

Hell, 2021 might be a battle. I should just go without her.

Reactions: Chuck C
I can't convince my wife to book a flight for the rest of 2020.

Hell, 2021 might be a battle. I should just go without her.
giphy.gif

No, other than possibly a long weekend at the beach.

Original plan - we were leaving a week from today for a couple of weeks in Greece. First few days in Athens, then flying to Santorini for the rest of the time. Wife's always wanted to go, and finally talked me into it.

Maybe next year...:(

Reactions: PoopandBoogers
Holy shyte that sounds awful!

To each their own.
I will say it is uncanny how much better food tastes when cooked outside at a campnsite and the smell and feel of a warm campfire is simply the best. The fresh air... Fun and fantastic.

But, 32 days...that's a ton of work, man. God bless.

We were supposed to be in Key West last week, but cancelled. We’ll probably visit my brother who lives on a lake later this summer.

Headed to a cottage on the beach in Northern California the first week of June. Lots of hiking and biking on the agenda along with beach time. Looking forward to a week with the cell phone turned off and quality time with my wife and kids

Maybe a trip to see my folks in July, but we are waiting a bit on planning that, to see where things stand with the virus by then.

I have flights to Alaska for the whole fam the second week of August. Hoping they lift the quarantine before then. Me, hub, all 3 boys, the daughter in law, and grandson. Hoping to do some hiking, rafting, fishing, and taking a ride on the Alaskan Railway. Seems like a great socially distancing vacation.

Was supposed to go to Chicago this week for some cubs games and checking out some museums and stuff.

Got my money back for the tickets and my money back from the air BNB I booked. Getting the host percentage of the money back was pretty easy. Now Air BNB"s percentage that wasn't as easy.

Nothing really planned now.

I have flights to Alaska for the whole fam the second week of August. Hoping they lift the quarantine before then. Me, hub, all 3 boys, the daughter in law, and grandson. Hoping to do some hiking, rafting, fishing, and taking a ride on the Alaskan Railway. Seems like a great socially distancing vacation.
I think you’re good to go. I think I heard today that Alaska is the first state to totally open up.

Reactions: 3boysmom
Disney World in September. Hoping it's at half capacity - it will make it that much more enjoyable.

I will say it is uncanny how much better food tastes when cooked outside at a campnsite and the smell and feel of a warm campfire is simply the best. The fresh air... Fun and fantastic.

But, 32 days...that's a ton of work, man. God bless.

Work? I have a 37 foot 5th wheel. It has two air conditioners, satellite tv, and a nicer kitchen than I have in my house. Two refrigerators, one solely responsible for carrying booze. I’ll have enough wood for a fire every night, or close to that. We go every other weekend through October, usually three nights. An additional week long trip in August.

I can understand someone saying they don’t like to camp, but work? Not quite.

Just found out yesterday from my son in Florida that the reservations that he booked for our family get together for my wife and I as a 50th anniversary celebration in Asheville NC is opening back up.
So we will be meeting there with my other sons family in Wi around the 4th of July week.
Hope other venues will be open by then and not sign of a virus.

I spent two summers in Alaska when I was in the army. We took a two week float trip down the Tanana River. Great times.

Headed to Yellowstone in about a month.
I spent two summers in Alaska when I was in the army. We took a two week float trip down the Tanana River. Great times.

My favorite vacation of all time was a two week trip to Alaska in June, way back in 1997. At that time my grandpa owned a bed and breakfast in Anchorage, so we were able to stay there for no charge and use it as a base to explore the state. Great fishing and incredible wildlife.

I’m currently getting my move from WV to FL all worked out so there might not be much going on except for that. I do plan to get in a few moto-camping trips whenever Mother Nature can string together a few days of decent weather.

Work? I have a 37 foot 5th wheel. It has two air conditioners, satellite tv, and a nicer kitchen than I have in my house. Two refrigerators, one solely responsible for carrying booze. I’ll have enough wood for a fire every night, or close to that. We go every other weekend through October, usually three nights. An additional week long trip in August.

your previous post said 'camping'. I think that's why he was confused.

Wanting to come back to Iowa. Go trout fishing up in NE Iowa. Go fishing on the DSM river around Boone. Was going to go on RAGBRAI, but I'll still be able to ride around Boone which has some decent hills.

Reactions: bojihawk44

"Occasionally at the campsite you'll see a Winnebago. That's kind of cheating, isn't it?

Oh, that's what I forgot. My house."

-Jim Gaffigan

I’m planning on lettin loose on OPs mom later if that counts.

BURRRRRRRNNNNNNNN

Yep. Headed to Florida to fish in July.

Now that sounds like my kind of vacation..
I love fishing Florida but I've only fished it in the winter months but would love to in the summer... What part are you heading to? What are you targeting?

Last edited:
Yep. Heading to Tennessee the first week in June.

a week spent fishing, relaxing, and on a pontoon boat.

Prepare for mosquitoes.

Arrived in Cape Coral, FL yesterday at 1:00; had my first fresh grouper sandwich at Mecheli's by 2:00. Poured rain for several hours starting at 4:00, and I didn't mind a bit. Retirement to here can't get here soon enough.

Reactions: your_master5
My wife and I were scheduled to go to Portugal and Morocco the week this virus first hit the US, of course that didn’t happen. We are booked for a trip to China in October and that won’t happen either. Right now, it looks like we will spend some time on Ocracoke Is on the Outer Banks later on.

Arrived in Cape Coral, FL yesterday at 1:00; had my first fresh grouper sandwich at Mecheli's by 2:00. Poured rain for several hours starting at 4:00, and I didn't mind a bit. Retirement to here can't get here soon enough.
Going on 2 years retired myself. It’s a pretty sweet gig. That being said, I did retire relatively young (51) so I’m getting the itch to go back to work. Not for the money but more for something to do. Got my sights set on an OPS position with the State of Florida once I get resettled down there.

ADVERTISEMENT