ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone else here have no kids?

ELCHawk

HR All-American
Gold Member
Sep 3, 2019
I am 46. Never had kids. My wife (no pics) and I tried for years. I was down for a couple of years. Now at my age, I am thankful I never had kids. I have two dogs and am content with them. I can do pretty much anything I want. Don't have teenagers. Plus, we have many nieces and one nephew to spoil. Anyone else in the same boat?

No kids here. Never wanted them. Don't like kids. I do, however, enjoy the freedom of not being tied down.

Reactions: ELCHawk
3 kids here. Love all of them and would give up my life for each of them without a 2nd thought.

That said, 3 makes everything a little bit harder. I sit and think every once in a while what it would be like with just my twins or if we only had one and stopped? Definitely vacations become easier, buying a house has a lot more opportunities, clothes/shoes/etc become easier to maintain.

I'm certainly thankful I had kids and wouldn't give them up for anything. It's about finding the right number is the real question. For some that's 0, for others it might be 10 (JFC!)

Reactions: Greenway4Prez
I am 46. Never had kids. My wife (no pics) and I tried for years. I was down for a couple of years. Now at my age, I am thankful I never had kids. I have two dogs and am content with them. I can do pretty much anything I want. Don't have teenagers. Plus, we have many nieces and one nephew to spoil. Anyone else in the same boat?
I am 52, we had our daughter when I was 46, had our son last July. It isn't easy, but my first wife (no pic) and I were married 15 years and probably spent $50k on fertility options with no success. They bring me a lot of joy, I just need to manage the more stressful times better.

None here. Never got married and never found a woman who could put up with me for more than a few months. All my friends who had kids seem to be mostly happy with the decision. My brother who adopted, regrets it.

My wife and I have always been way too selfish to have any children. We both like our freedom too much and the financial freedom is a bonus. Vacations and being on a river or a trail somewhere instead of a soccer game was way too hard to give up.

No kids, will probably never have them.

Love my nieces and nephews, but glad to leave them with their parents.

lol
My wife and I have always been way too selfish to have any children. We both like our freedom too much and the financial freedom is a bonus. Vacations and being on a river or a trail somewhere instead of a soccer game was way too hard to give up.
Ditto on both. Love all my nieces and nephews dearly. Also love giving them back to their parents. I generally like kids but wife was never around them growing up and thus does not like kids much at all.

None here. Never got married and never found a woman who could put up with me for more than a few months. All my friends who had kids seem to be mostly happy with the decision. My brother who adopted, regrets it.
I have a friend who adopted kids and he regrets it (his wife has no idea). The oldest is a teen and a mess.

Wife and I never wanted kids. Got drunk in San Diego one night and 9 months later little 3408 was here. Financially it sucked, we lived it up without a kid. It was a hard adjustment for us because we did whatever we wanted to do and never had anyone to answer to. Not so much anymore, but I wouldn't trade it. Can't imagine life without him now.

No Kids - never was the intention, just the way life worked.

Did make is I never had to grow up. Last time I saw Slayer was still rocking that rail like I was 17...not forty whatever. Will spend way to much for entertainment and show up many hour early just to make sure I get the most fun that I will hopefully remember tommorrow.

No kids but my ex wife did miscarry so close. I'm way too selfish with my time to want kids.

Reactions: ELCHawk
That's great now, but who takes care of you when your depends needs changing and your wife has dementia?

That's great now, but who takes care of you when your depends needs changing and your wife has dementia?

This being HROT and all, I figured everyone had servants, maids and care staff at the ready for when stuff like this happens, no?

Reactions: jasonrann
Is it an actual thing having children change their parents depends? If so I need to have a serious talk with my parents.

No kids. Divorced in 2004 and held off o the idea of kids as knew the marriage was not the most stable. Did not want to introduce kids into a non-steady relationship…

Now in a steady relationship going on 15 years … at this point/age kids are not in the mix.

I’ve had that thought, especially because I work with older folks all the time.

It’s a legit concern but I also think it’s a lousy reason to have kids.
Agree. I do kind of worry about that a bit. I also hope I go before wife. She is a lot closer to her family than I am to mine. I do have a fear of dying alone. But like another poster said, that is not a reason to have kids.

Reactions: steelhawkeye
One thing that annoys me about having no kids are my parents and wife's parents. Love them all to death, but the grandchildren are the center of their world. The "weird couple" who gave them no grandkids are kind of ignored. Sometimes that is a good thing though. I also feel my wife and I are sometimes taken for granted because we have no kids.

I didn't have any kids last year. then the one came back with a baby now I have two kids.

One thing that annoys me about having no kids are my parents and wife's parents. Love them all to death, but the grandchildren are the center of their world. The "weird couple" who gave them no grandkids are kind of ignored. Sometimes that is a good thing though. I also feel my wife and I are sometimes taken for granted because we have no kids.

That also happens to the grandkid's parents, as well.

Grandkids become more important to parents than their own kids. It just happens.

I have a friend who adopted kids and he regrets it (his wife has no idea). The oldest is a teen and a mess.
That's rough. I think some kids just have "difficult" wiring. Went to my neighbors a few weekends ago. They are a great couple, very outgoing and very nice. The kid treats both of them like shit and caused a huge amount of tension. Was glad when that dinner was over. The father apologized the next week for his daughter being "a bitch" and said it was basically a daily thing. T's & P's man...t's & p's....

Our little guy (18 months) has been a joy. Kind of a goofball but also studious and thinks his dad is a god.

Last edited:
None here. Never got married because of knowing that most years of my life I couldn't afford myself let alone a wife - and thankfully even in my drunken/stoner years I was never stupid enough to knock up a gal I was shacking up with.

I wouldn't call this "The Plan" - it just worked out that way is all.

Ironically in my near retirement years, I've become a school bus driver - and for the most part I get along great with say 90% of my 100+ kids. They sort of look at me as their cool grandpa/uncle they've never had. I sort of look at them as kinda like a "what could have been" thing.

Each summer is difficult - I miss them, even the hard cases. Fortunately I get to see many of them during the summer on sports/summer activities trips, bike riding around my neighborhood, etc. Often this summer I'll see them during these and they'll haul me over to meet their parents, like I'm a "show and tell" ornament. I get a lot of "so, you're the school bus driver we've been hearing about" from parents.

Crazy really. My friends when I see them marvel at me doing this for a living. I get a lot of "I never saw you as a bus driver...you HATE kids" kinda thing - which is odd because I've never hated kids so much as knew I was never the family type.

Strange...where life takes a person through the years. And honestly...I got all the kids I can handle currently ;)

I can completely understand the appeal of no kids and if that’s your decision then thank you for not brining one into the world. Lots of personal and financial freedom.

With that, I always wanted kids and now have a 8 and 5 year old. Today my son got up on two skis at the lake first try. That’s the shit that is priceless seeing the joy on his face and the agony after he face planted lolz

LOLOLOL!! !! Taken for granted of?! Oh, man @ELCHawk! That's adorable. Have kids broseph - then you'll really know what taken advantage of means!

At least any that you know of....

Reactions: win4jj
ADVERTISEMENT