ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone else pumped for some more Wadley?

Kurt Warner

HB Heisman
Jan 12, 2010
Iowa
Bet I'm not the only one ready to see if Wadley can repeat his performance from last week.(and hopefully hold onto the ball again) Also anxious to see Mitchell again. These two could end up being a dynamic duo. Can't wait for Saturday. So awesome to say that again. Go hawks!

Wadley, Mitchell, AND Daniels all feel like somewhat of unknowns at this time. Looking forward to see who plays in which situations and how effective they are. But to your point I am most definitely ready to see wadley fly around again!

True, it will be interesting to see if Daniels is back to form finally. As for Wadley he brings something we haven't seen for a long long time. I like someone else's comparison to tavian banks, kid can't flat out fly and makes his moves without slowing at all it appears.

Although I am also excited to see more Wadley, I am also very hopeful that sometime before the end of this season Daniels will join the 200 yard and four touchdown in a game club. I doubt we have ever had three running backs do that in one season.

Reactions: MadDogC
There is really no question as to Wadley's running ability.

The questions still to be answered are A) Can he pick up a blitz and B) Can he catch the ball out of the backfield. If he shows he can do those 2 things plus continued ball security....he'll probably end up being the "primary" back going forward.

It would not surprise me at all that he's used as a change of pace more than anything. 15-20 carries tops, game situations depending.

I think it's more compelling what happens to his load if he does lay it on the ground. Two hands, Akrum. Two hands.

It would not surprise me at all that he's used as a change of pace more than anything. 15-20 carries tops, game situations depending.

I think it's more compelling what happens to his load if he does lay it on the ground. Two hands, Akrum. Two hands.
Bag, if he has 20 carries, I would consider him the feature back.

I think it is going to depend on the opponent the rest of the year. Against Maryland's D, big plays seem like a possibility. This should be a Wadley game, but we shall see.

Does a bear s*** in the woods?

Is the the Pope Catholic?

Wadley broke 7 tackles against NU. it's hard to tackle someone you can't catch.

how fast are Maryland's back 7? if they are slow of foot, expect a big game.

Be great to see a healthy Daniels. He was just not the same when they tried to run him after the injury. No burst through the hole.
If all 3 are at full speed, should make for a solid running game that can mix things up.
Maybe as important is having a healthier O-line. Hope the 2 tackles get some reps.

I know some people on here were calling for Wadley and Mitchell to be worked into the rotation a little earlier rather than forcing Canzeri to handle 43 carries. But that's KF. So finally, when Canzeri went down and there was no other option, Wadley is allowed back on the field. And you saw what you saw. And then there was Mitchell with 10 totes for 79 yards. Pretty impressive for your third and fourth string backs.

And at the risk of being redundant, QBs will throw interceptions. RBs will fumble. Even FBs will fumble. Weisman did. Canzeri did. And Melvin Gordon, that kid from Wisconsin, did, certainly.

Nobody wants to throw an INT. Nobody wants to fumble...unless, of course, you're Ronnie Harmon in the 1986 Rose Bowl...but it happens. Canzeri wasn't benched when he fumbled a couple of times this year. If you benched a QB every time he threw an INT, that could be a problem.

Wadley has the talent to be a huge star. Mitchell appears to offer an outstanding change-up style. And Daniels? TBD.

So yah, count me among those who can't wait to see more Wadley and Mitchell to go with CJ's downfield tosses. Perhaps this Iowa offense is on the verge of exploding big time. Welcome to Iowa City, Terps.

Iowa -- 52
Maryland -- 13

Does a bear s*** in the woods?

Is the the Pope Catholic?

Wadley broke 7 tackles against NU. it's hard to tackle someone you can't catch.

how fast are Maryland's back 7? if they are slow of foot, expect a big game.

There are no 'slow of foot' back 7 anywhere in the big10, or on any power5 school for that matter. How fast they 'look' totally depends on scheme (putting them in a position to be successful) and how fast they make reads and execute. This speed misnomer gets really old, but announcers love to sell it to the eager masses.
Having cleared that up, how do you beat speed? You run right at it. Speed only helps a defense laterally. I expect we'll see a lot more of the 'gap' (power) scheme and not so much of the zone scheme. Lots of hats on hats, straight ahead, FB lead plays until we put them on their heels and wear them down. With Myers back, we have an 'extra' starting lineman and with the versatility of this line, they can get a rotation going to keep bodies fresh. I would love to see them just pound the rock, rush for over 300 yds, that's my kind of football and we don't get to see much of it theses days.

I know some people on here were calling for Wadley and Mitchell to be worked into the rotation a little earlier rather than forcing Canzeri to handle 43 carries. But that's KF. So finally, when Canzeri went down and there was no other option, Wadley is allowed back on the field. And you saw what you saw. And then there was Mitchell with 10 totes for 79 yards. Pretty impressive for your third and fourth string backs.

And at the risk of being redundant, QBs will throw interceptions. RBs will fumble. Even FBs will fumble. Weisman did. Canzeri did. And Melvin Gordon, that kid from Wisconsin, did, certainly.

Nobody wants to throw an INT. Nobody wants to fumble...unless, of course, you're Ronnie Harmon in the 1986 Rose Bowl...but it happens. Canzeri wasn't benched when he fumbled a couple of times this year. If you benched a QB every time he threw an INT, that could be a problem.

Wadley has the talent to be a huge star. Mitchell appears to offer an outstanding change-up style. And Daniels? TBD.

So yah, count me among those who can't wait to see more Wadley and Mitchell to go with CJ's downfield tosses. Perhaps this Iowa offense is on the verge of exploding big time. Welcome to Iowa City, Terps.

Iowa -- 52
Maryland -- 13
Just couldn't pass on an opportunity to once again remind everyone that you don't like KF and hopefully convince someone that you know more than he does and damn it, someone should listen to you! You are a sorry, little person, and quite frankly, I'm tired of listening to your childish rants. I hardly ever put anyone on ignore, but you've earned it!

Everyone has known for awhile that Wadley is a terrific runner. I think the fact that he has been listed as this week's starting RB shows that he has earned the trust of the coaches. As long as Wadley doesn't fumble, he is going to be a star.

I will preface this second thought with the disclaimer that I do not think beating Maryland is a given. Maryland has played poorly for most of this season, but they do have some talented players and if they fix some errors they could be a difficult team to beat. With that said, this game is probably going to be the "easiest" game (or maybe Purdue) left on our schedule. This is one of the few games on the schedule where I think we can overcome a deficit in the turnover battle. Therefore, I think this is a great game for Wadley to get the opportunity to get the bulk of the carries. With the way our offensive line is playing, our running game is going to be a big time force going forward if Wadley, Mitchell, and Daniels are all healthy.

I love the "stylistic mix" with these RB's...I just don't see KF the rest of this year using solely one guy. Yes, Wadley is the most naturally talented of the bunch, but I think they like the blend they all bring to the table.

So...spread the wealth, keep them all fresh, mix and match as gameflow needs dictate.

I love the "stylistic mix" with these RB's...I just don't see KF the rest of this year using solely one guy. Yes, Wadley is the most naturally talented of the bunch, but I think they like the blend they all bring to the table.

So...spread the wealth, keep them all fresh, mix and match as gameflow needs dictate.

Stylistic Mix would be a great name for a 70's funk band! :cool:

Reactions: IACub
I am excited to see them all. Wadley is a ton of fun to watch run. Let's not forget Daniels was running great before he got hurt. I think he was averaging 7 yards a carry against Iowa State before he went out. Mitchell is really intriguing to me as well because not only is he good as a runner, strong with good speed, but he is just as good as a pass catching back as well.

Cautiously optimistic
This.

It all starts with the OL making holes and protecting CJ. All else will follow.

I can see Maryland loading up the box and forcing CJ to throw; especially early in the game.

The running lanes may open up later in the game as the O adjusts and their D starts to tire.

I really like Wadley and Mitchell on long downs and Daniels on the 1-2 yd downs - Thunder and Lightening!!

I'm just as excited to see Mitchell as well. I think underneath all the Wadley hype is a certain #32 who may be just as good. Different but just as good.

I loved his interview about his mom threatening him if he fumbles again.....I feel much better knowing he has his mother on his ass! Mothers know best

In the on Iowa interview I thought it was awesome that his parents want him to stay here and not visit home in fear he will fall into trouble like many do...crazy stuff. Huge fan of him n his family !

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT